Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
"This "Lauta" device will be branded as Livermorium (Or simply L-Device) But Chenphone is also nice, could be our internal code name between Maemians

I don't want to call it a "Phone" - It is meant to be a pocket computer - as the "Internet Tablet" series that we loved."
Livermorium?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Livermorium?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...r-the-moto-z#/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why would it be branded like that?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Why would it be branded like that?
And why not ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
I think I need to start saving money from now....

btw, will it have a "standing foot" like N900?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zero Six For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Zero Six View Post
will it have a "standing foot" like N900?
I don't think it needs it, chen said the screen will tilt with respect to the keyboard (like his moto keyboard mod)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by john_god View Post
And why not ?
I asked first. But I can do an exceptions for you.

It has nothing to do with this specific device as I understand it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Well, it's Chen's company and and it's a company that recently did the keyboard mod for the Moto, not a bakery company, so I would guess Chen's will use its resources and assets to complete the phone. I understand that the Lauta revival project is kind of a personal goal, but it's still a real product from a guy leading a company specializing in this type of things. I would be surprised if the phone/pocket computer is not branded Livermorium.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Well, it's Chen's company and and it's a company that recently did the keyboard mod for the Moto, not a bakery company, so I would guess Chen's will use its resources and assets to complete the phone. I understand that the Lauta revival project is kind of a personal goal, but it's still a real product from a guy leading a company specializing in this type of things. I would be surprised if the phone/pocket computer is not branded Livermorium.

\o/ for the new phone with slider keyboard!

Crazy idea: Design the device so, that there is no (zero) bezel around the display. Having a 5,5" display would make the device almost exactly the size of a Jolla phone!

Without a slider keyboard this wouldn't make sense, because nobody could hold the device without interacting with the touch display. With the slider keyboard one can hold the device without touching the display at all! Addidtionally this would lead to a few interesting and unique design decitions:

- No speaker or microphone on the front. Put these on the back of the phone (Yeah - crazy, but why not?). Would this be too weird? After checking the display one would have to flip the device to the back side for actually taking the call. Alternatively the speaker could be positioned to the top edge of the side. Actually this would be the left speaker of the stereo speakers of an N900.

- Putting the speaker to the back side (or top side) would eliminate the need for a second (front) camera. Video calls would work with the main camera. Save the money for the second camera and lense. This way you could also blind yourself with the flash LEDs during a video call 8-)

- Putting the speaker to the back side (or top side) eventually could eliminate the need for the proximity sensor to disable the display when the device is held to the head while phoning.

- As there will be more space in depth: Please put two speakers into the thing like in N900, which sounds amazingly good, although the device is really short in length.

- A RGB notification LED on the front might be difficult. Possible solutions:
a) Put it on the bottom edge and position it, so it lights 45° to the bottom and 45° to the back side. When the device lies on a table, the LED will be directed to the person sitting in front of the table. Due to the 45° angle to the table, there is the chance, that the table surface will also reflect the LED.

b) In case you decide to still have a slimm bezel, there could be some sort of plastic fiber material directing the light of a LED positioned inside the phone to the bezel itself or to a small window in the bezel. Actually the border of the bezel could be the indicator.

Anyways: Having the hope to get a landscape slider device with Sailfish OS is very exciting! Thanks for that!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ibins For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen