Active Topics

There was some sort of false connection which could be used for some game or other iirc (i.e. to fool the Hildon libs into thinking there was a connection), I guess this might work.

Can't remember the name mind you, anyone?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
lardman: the module you're thinking of is the DUMMY connection, and should have been automatically activated by the ethernet scripts.

Scaler: Well I'd be willing to try and help you troubleshoot it a bit to see if it can be made to work, but if you've pretty much given up on it then there's not a lot I can do. (I can borrow my bro's old 770, but I'd have to put 2008HE on it, rig up all the USB cables/buy them, etc and since I'm already quite happy with my two N800s and am looking forward to the next tablet I'm a little hesitant to do all that as I don't really see the advantage to breathing any more life into that 770... it served well for many years, but at this point it's pretty much ready to retire).

The only thing I can suggest if you are looking to try again would be to try running the usbEthUp.sh script manually and look at the output to see if it gives you any errors; it's possible that it's not being run because of a difference in the way UDEV is handled/detects devices on the HE vs regular 2008; in any case it could give you an indication of what's not working right, but again I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks!

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
petr, can you document your experience in the wiki, as we have with previous devices (bottom of page)?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008
The info from the old wiki is copied here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...030#post286030

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
I'd have to put 2008HE on it, rig up all the USB cables/buy them, etc and ........ I'm a little hesitant to do all that !

I certainly don't suggest that you should, and I apologize if I gave the impression that I was angling for help on that scale. At this point, I strongly suspect that the 770 is not capable of browsing the internet via cable connection to a LAN, unless the LAN as well as the 770 is specifically configured to accept the connection.

This is not based on any understanding of networks or of the 770's internal workings. A better-informed member might reply on the lines of : "Sure you can do it. I used to plug mine into hotel internet ports everywhere I went." However, so far nobody claims to have done it, in all the years that the 770 has been around. When such an obviously useful adaptation remains uncelebrated, there are grounds to doubt whether it is in fact achievable. I would not ask you or anyone to spend time on a search that holds so little promise.

As you point out, there are probably not many people still depending on the 770. The times when it makes a real difference in my life are when I am travelling five or more time zones away from home. That is at most three weeks in a year. The rest of the time, it is a nice toy but nothing more. There are nearly always alternatives to the wired hotel-room connection, even if they are more expensive or need some forethought. (For example, I should have bought more prepaid GSM phone vouchers in Italy last year before going to Switzerland.) Bearing all these things in mind, it makes no sense for either of us to put more time and money into this problem.

There is one last thing that might be worth asking about. Kate Alhola mentions that the RTL8150 has been used with the 770, but she does not actually say that the relevant driver is "natively" present, whereas she does use that expression with regard to the 810. Maybe people injected a customized driver in the 770 when they set it up for networking. Even if the driver is supposed to be present, I might have done something to incapacitate it. Is there a simple way of finding out whether it is in fact present? My dmesg contains nothing to indicate that the 770 recognizes the RTL8150.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Have to admit I've never tried it on a 770;

One thing I can recommend trying to help troubleshoot is going into xterm, becoming root, and 1) type in "route" and see what the routing table shows (i.e. does it see your eth0 adapter with an IP), 2) do an ifconfig (and see if eth0 is listed and if it does indeed have an IP and 3) if both those are good try a ping to see if traffic will actually go across the interface. If the ping works then it's definitely something goofy with the ICD stuff...
Well, I finally tried again with OS2008HE. I was buoyed up from good success with the port of gphoto2, which also uses USB connections and was written for 8x0 tablets without any adaptation for 2008HE. I am now using a USB power injector that supplies up to 800 mA, so we can rule out any power shortage as a possible cause of failure. (The limit was 350 mA on earlier attempts.)

With the RTL8150, the results were as before. The message came up "Connected to WIRED", all the correct LED's lit up, and Connection Manager indicated the connection to "WIRED". The MicroB browser disagreed and suggested that there was no internet connection. Following your advice, I ran "route" and "ifconfig".

The output from "route" looks like nothing but column headers:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface

[I wrote these in the same pattern as the output, but multiple spaces have been edited out by the forum.]

"ifconfig -a" returned information about lo and wlan0, but no mention of eth0.

"ifconfig eth0" returned the following:

ifconfig: eth0: error fetching interface information : Device not found

On my router, I had disabled MAC Address Filtering. I don't think there is anything else on the wired LAN that could have blocked the connection (no Client IP Filters). The DHCP server was on. Although the router's LED indicated a live connection to the Tablet, the DHCP Client List had only one entry, my desktop PC.

I previously mentioned a suspicion that my Tablet might not in fact have a driver for the RTL8150. I decided to try with a TrendNet TU-ET100C, since your packages include the Pegasus driver that it needs. (If I had paid closer attention to the "version magic" messages, I would have saved myself the time and money. I'll come back to that later.)

When I ran usbEthUp.sh with the TrendNet attached, I got the following output in XTerm:

udhcp (v0.9.9-pre) started
SIOGGIFINDEX failed : No such device

The only difference from the RTL8150 attempts was that the router's LED did not light up for the TrendNet.

Looking back through the XTerm output, I found "version magic" messages which had popped up during installation of your packages (I think). In the past, I have usually found that these messages were a good sign, indicating that a usable substitute had been installed instead of a specified file. This time, I failed at first to notice a crucial difference: the version magic did not install any substitutes. The first message was:

catc : version magic '2.6.21-omap1 mod_unload ARMv6 ' should be '2.6.16.27-omap1 preempt ARMv5 gcc-3.4'

and similarly for all the other drivers in the package. Although App Manager indicated a successful installation, it appears that the drivers were not in fact installed.

Sorry that this post is another downer. I have aimed it mainly at 770 users who are using OS2008HE (supposedly Chinook) to run apps written for (real) OS2008 Chinook. Anyone hoping to do that with these packages needs a good knowledge of networking, Unix and Linux (I don't) and must be prepared to invest money and a lot of time in the attempt.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
I've been reading about this USB sporadically over a period of a year and I am still a little confused where cables are concerned.

The N800 uses a mini usb-b cable and the n810 uses a micro usb-b cable? I seen others recommend a microusb-a cable. The CA101 the N810 comes with is micro usb-B.

Anyway...

Seeing as I have that, can I use the CA101 the N810 came with and just get a female to female USB adaptor for using an ethernet adaptor or for a flash drive along with the various scripts and commands?

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
I've been reading about this USB sporadically over a period of a year and I am still a little confused where cables are concerned.

The N800 uses a mini usb-b cable and the n810 uses a micro usb-b cable? I seen others recommend a microusb-a cable. The CA101 the N810 comes with is micro usb-B.

Anyway...

Seeing as I have that, can I use the CA101 the N810 came with and just get a female to female USB adaptor for using an ethernet adaptor or for a flash drive along with the various scripts and commands?
In a single word, YES. (CA101<->Female-female Adapter<->Linksys100M<->Ethernet cable)

The Following User Says Thank You to electrolind For This Useful Post:
How to get access point "Dummy" in PR1.2 of N900?

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Same as PR1.1, you install libicd-network-null and set up according to the Wiki.

I have the Trendnet TU-ET100c, and I installed the scripts to put usb into host mode with a stylus click. I tried to connect to the internet, and it did, but it is slooooow. Now I wonder if I have the right driver. Does anyone have the package that contains the correct driver for the trendnet device? I keep finding files that are no longer hosted, and not looking exactly what to look for, it has been frustrating.

Thanks