Notices

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Something that I've noticed about dosbox is that while running, it pegs the CPU. It must use polled I/O instead of interrupt-driven I/O.

This means it can chew up a battery pretty fast.

Software written for mobile devices needs to think "low power" first.

Last edited by rdcinhou; 2008-01-28 at 02:50.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Cool! Thank you very much Smothermunchie. I'll be trying that keyboard map out (it saves me time to create my own). I saw that you people were messing with keymaps earlier, but I didn't see any screenshot of one that looks as good as your's in the previous post.

I have meant to try it, but shell scripting should work under Maemo right? I plan on creating easy launch scripts and find again (somewhere on this forum) how to add program shortcuts to the menu.

PS: I edited my previous post (twice) before seeing your post.

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Cool! Thank you very much Smothermunchie. I'll be trying that keyboard map out (it saves me time to create my own). I saw that you people were messing with keymaps earlier, but I didn't see any screenshot of one that looks as good as your's in the previous post.

I have meant to try it, but shell scripting should work under Maemo right? I plan on creating easy launch scripts and find again (somewhere on this forum) how to add program shortcuts to the menu.

PS: I edited my previous post (twice) before seeing your post.
Yes, shell scripting works well. And adding icons to the panel is easy as copying a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/hildon and modifying it to do what you want.

I have a couple dosbox games with icons, as well as an ntp update script, reboot, and a backup script.

Nokia should have a link to this helpful forum as it's as great as their tablets. Thank you Dick.

I noticed that Smothermunchie's keyboard map is also missing some keys I need, so I might investigate modifying it myself tomorrow.

Right now I'm installing MathCAD 6 on DOSBox and hope to get Visual C++ 1.52c installed soon too.

I noticed the other thread about games playable on DOSBox ... games test the limits of the emulator while applications run fine. Does anyone else run non-games on DOSBox here?

Applications that I've tested and work:
  • Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM) 6.11d
  • Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (mouse has problems releasing windows)
  • Microsoft C 6.0
  • Maplesoft Maple V5 3.0

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yes, shell scripting works well. And adding icons to the panel is easy as copying a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/hildon and modifying it to do what you want.

I have a couple dosbox games with icons, as well as an ntp update script, reboot, and a backup script.

Oooh.... Hey dick-richardson, any chance you could write up a fail safe, step by step direction on how to do this in a nutshell for idiots that don't know the first thing about linux?

It would be awesome if I could throw in a couple of icons on the desktop that would launch the custom dosbox.conf for each game as well as my generated custom keyboard as well.

That would be tight!

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
User 'jott' in #maemo has found a workaround for the problem with SDL and the FN key on N810. I don't know if his changes are acceptable for general-purpose SDL programs, but my tests so far seem to indicate it works well enough.

Also note that if you have a non-us N810 keyboard layout, you can get improved (but not perfect) keymapping with the DOS 'keyb' command. For e.g. with a german keyboard, 'keyb gr' will get you a properly mapped ":". It appears however that we will need to create dosbox keymapper files for each N810 layout.

MathCAD 6 Plus is choking on Win32s, so I'll try installing the last version of Win32s.

But Visual C++ 1.52 runs well on DOSBox.

so how would i go about running this "work around" on my n810. i found a log using google. http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23mae...01-27.log.html
thats about as far as i can get about trying to figure this out by myself. help thanks

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay dude. Pop quiz.

In dosbox.conf I have replaced:

mapperfile=mapper.txt
with
mapperfile=/media/mmc2/mapper.txt

You stated that this gives you the maximize/minimize toggle, and cycles adjustment with +/- buttons.

But it's not working chief. I've tried everything including using the ALT key on Xkbd with the maximize/minimize buttons as well as trying it in combination with the Ctrl key.

So I give, what I am not seeing on this?

Thanks.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
He meant the hardware buttons And it is working for sure, so check the path too.