Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
What exactly does co-maintainership means? And what does nokia have to do with the CSSU repo apart from paying the bills?
Currently the upload the repo is tied to 1 garage user which in effect means only MohammadAG can upload to testing and only I can upload to stable. Co-maintinership would mean that we have at least 2 credentials to upload to the repo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
Currently the upload the repo is tied to 1 garage user which in effect means only MohammadAG can upload to testing and only I can upload to stable. Co-maintinership would mean that we have at least 2 credentials to upload to the repo.
Do you happen to know if MohammadAG or anybody else objects to a second person with admin rights?

Are you willing to be the second maintainer for the time being?

What is your opinion of having the maintainers meritocratically selected by people involved with CSSU every 6 months or so?

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Why don't you share only one credential for uploading to both testing and stable between all CSSU developers (MAG, Merlin1991, Pali, Freemangordon, Nicolai, etc)? That would be better than only having two maintainers (eventually we would reach the same point in which we are stacked today).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Why don't you share only one credential for uploading to both testing and stable between all CSSU developers (MAG, Merlin1991, Pali, Freemangordon, Nicolai, etc)? That would be better than only having two maintainers (eventually we would reach the same point in which we are stacked today).
I have been told it is not feasible to share a single admin account with the current infrastructure. I would not want to have 5 different admins because we could start to have problems with version control, etc. At least I'd rather have two maintainers first and then increase the number of maintainers if two proves to be insufficient. One maintainer obviously has the "hit by a bus" disadvantage, which is not good for a large project like CSSU.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I'm nothing to do with Nokia or CSSU, but as a sysadmin I can say that in general it is better for each person to use an individual account (with multiple accounts given access to whatever they need), rather than sharing an account. Credentials for a shared account can leak out, and also there is a lack of accountability - e.g. who specifically uploaded what or made what change.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm nothing to do with Nokia or CSSU, but as a sysadmin I can say that in general it is better for each person to use an individual account (with multiple accounts given access to whatever they need), rather than sharing an account. Credentials for a shared account can leak out, and also there is a lack of accountability - e.g. who specifically uploaded what or made what change.
For sure, I agree with you in normal cases. But I tried to propose alternatives to the very special conditions with which we are dealing.

My concern is that it would be easy that only with two people we will face the same problem quite soon.

Anyway, it's better to start at least with this small step of having to maintainers for CSSU.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Do you happen to know if MohammadAG or anybody else objects to a second person with admin rights?

Are you willing to be the second maintainer for the time being?

What is your opinion of having the maintainers meritocratically selected by people involved with CSSU every 6 months or so?
MohammadAG does not object at all to a second person (me) with admin rights.
Actually the only reason why this is not in place yet, is that X-Fade when we tried to get it in place said, that the system needs some configuration for that and it's not done easily, after that he never came back to us.

I don't think we will benefit from selecting the maintainers in a regular interval, it makes more sense to have a (the current) main maintainer and a backup + replace maintainers on a when needed basis.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I'm a little confused by the logic of not having a single shared account. Can't merlin et al push changes in their own accounts and then use the admin account strictly for kicking off builds and submits? Would that not solve the issue of ownership?

Also, per Pali and others that have taken over existing projects, it would appear that when one re-assigns a project's ownership that both the new and old owner(s) have full rights still. Is that not the case for CSSU? If not, why not assign ownership to the top 3 or 4 active people in the group now in succession, giving them all access?

Just thoughts... Personally, if the CSSU team is good with one solution or the other, they should choose which way they want to go, as they're the ones impacted. I just wanted to raise the questions to make sure we're not overlooking the obvious.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
MohammadAG does not object at all to a second person (me) with admin rights.
Actually the only reason why this is not in place yet, is that X-Fade when we tried to get it in place said, that the system needs some configuration for that and it's not done easily, after that he never came back to us.

I don't think we will benefit from selecting the maintainers in a regular interval, it makes more sense to have a (the current) main maintainer and a backup + replace maintainers on a when needed basis.
The post below got me thinking about CSSU again:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=167

I think merlin1991's response is good but he shouldn't have to do it. One of the problems I think we have is there often someone or something pulling in a tangential direction or criticizing in a visible place, and then time is taken away from productive work to address it. I feel that the community can do better to support CSSU by organizing (and filtering if needed) the community input so that the more worthy issues get raised with the project and less worthy ones do not need a response. A little bit of organization can help.

Last edited by SD69; 2012-04-11 at 16:28. Reason: corrected link

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The post below got me thinking about CSSU again:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83398&page=17
Sorry, I've changed my number-of-posts-per-page, so I'm not sure which post you're linking to. EDIT: do you mean http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=166 ?

I feel that the community can do better to support CSSU by organizing (and filtering if needed) the community input so that the more worthy issues get raised with the project and less worthy ones do not need a response.
I'm sure the CSSU team would appreciate anyone willing to volunteer with comms.