Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Don't get your hopes up!

This is exactly what happened when I pre-ordered the Nokia N97 from NokiaUSA.

The "trial" charge is to see that there really is a valid credit account and that it has the room on it.

If you pre-ordered with Amex, they do it every 10 days.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Bakersfield, CA
I was called because of a hold, from capital one fraud department, regarding the pre-order of n900.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Don't get your hopes up!

This is exactly what happened when I pre-ordered the Nokia N97 from NokiaUSA.

The "trial" charge is to see that there really is a valid credit account and that it has the room on it.

If you pre-ordered with Amex, they do it every 10 days.
Sounds the same or equivalent to a Visa / Mastercard "pre-auth" pre-authorising the card details to ensure they're valid and reserving the funds The merchant then has upto 7 days to complete the transaction and debit the funds after this time the pre-auth expires and the reserved funds becomes available.

Looks like my American express did the same thing. Put a hold on it because they thought it was a possible fraud. Called them, then called Nokia who confirmed it was just a reservation charge - marking sure that capacity was there to accept the final charge. No money actually changed hands.

Also asked the guy jokingly when it was going to ship and without hesitation he said Mid October. No BS about we think it will ship yadda yadda yadda.

So if I had to make a guess I would say get your fingers ready kids, because looks like we will be typing on a new phone before end of month definitely.

Last edited by Bratag; 2009-10-05 at 13:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
The pre-order that I made but cancelled because of a change of shopping place, I would have paid the device not until I either pick it up from the store or have it delivered. No hassle about fund reserving
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Count me in as charged also.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Like wise... I see an authorization on my amex blue account - credit limit reduced appropriate amount, but no actual charge on my recent activity statement.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Looks like my American express did the same thing. Put a hold on it because they thought it was a possible fraud. Called them, then called Nokia who confirmed it was just a reservation charge - marking sure that capacity was there to accept the final charge. No money actually changed hands.

Also asked the guy jokingly when it was going to ship and without hesitation he said Mid October. No BS about we think it will ship yadda yadda yadda.

So if I had to make a guess I would say get your fingers ready kids, because looks like we will be typing on a new phone before end of month definitely.
But, but, I don't want it then...i want it NAO!

My bank removed the credit they gave back to me I'm currently charged twice

Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
But, but, I don't want it then...i want it NAO!
I called nokia again just to double check that my order was still ok (paranoid I know) the lady I spoke to said that the order was fine and according to a memo she was given just this morning Nokia might be shipping the phone THIS WEEK. Nothing certain but she said they were notified that they were going to try.

Take from that what you will.

Ps: my cc still has the auth charge against it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:

Tags
credit card activity