Active Topics

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
Hi,
I want to participate with an application but I don't know in which category it fits.
It's a client for openligadb, a community driven database for (primary german) soccer results. The applications for live-scores in ovi store are (in my opinion) very limited, so I started to write one to satisfy my needs (primary auto-update scores with selectable notification)

In which category would you put it?

EmaNymton
(for interested german-speaking people you can follow the thread at opensmartpad.org)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EmaNymton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
Hi All,

I spent the last 3 days of my vacation to develop a new app called MoGateway which I plan to submit to Network & Communications category of the competition.

MoGateway is an open-source Qt app for MeeGo Harmattan/Symbian which transforms the smartphone into e-mail to SMS gateway. It is localized in English and Bulgarian. Today I submitted it to Nokia Store for validation.

Right now I am too tired even to edit the wiki. So I will submit MoGateway as well as location2sms (at the Updates category) to the competition tomorrow.

10x,
Leon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
If you have any worries about packaging applications, something you're stuck on, or anything else that may be holding you back from completing your application then this is the time to let us help you. Or let us try to find someone to help you Especially beginners, we want to see everyone have a finished application
I dislike process of packaging an application (though I have done it once or twice) because it cannot be done on the N900 itself, if I remember correctly - I have to use MADDE Terminal.
I am stuck on changing the interface of hildon-touch-selector to display not only text value of the column, but also additional information. The tree model does include the "additional information", but the hildon-touch-selector does not show any awareness of it.
I would be grateful for help with C, since I am quite sure there are problems with memory allocation and pointers which I cannot see myself.
The application attached is hildon-control-panel applet to switch between virtual keyboards. As far as I know, right now a user of N900 has to type long gconf-invoking string in XTerm to change to a different virtual keyboard (it is the primary reason I still use the default virtual keyboard). This applet allows an easy-to-use graphical interface instead, showing currently used keyboard, list of available choices and button to switch to one of them.
An experienced user can understand which keyboard is going to be turned on just by seeing its file name. However, it would be easier for most users if additional information - such as, short description of the package which installed this file - was available.
The two attached files contain the source code of alpha version of the applet. C file is the whole code. DESKTOP file is to be put into directory /usr/share/applications/hildon-control-panel/.
SO file is the library to be put into location /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/. SO file can be found at
http://sharesend.com/4h1pz
Thanks in advance for reading.
Attached Files
File Type: txt libvirtrans.c.txt (4.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: txt virtrans.desktop.txt (167 Bytes, 92 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Hi folks, hope all's going well You might be interested to know we have 82 entries registered to the wiki so far, here's the break down in categories:

•Desktop, System & Utilities - 17
•Games, Graphics & Multimedia - 25
•Network & Communications - 14
•Location & Navigation - 6
•Other - 7
•Updates and development on existing apps - 11

(There is 1 'TBD' and 1 'Unsure')

Which means there are atleast 69 (no sniggering.. ) new entries listed, and 33 of the entries are registered as beginner entries. If we get all of these finished and submitted by the final end date then the competition will be a great success! And we'll all feel like winners with so many new apps to play with too!

Things feel quiet, but as you can see there's still lots of application development going on out there

Originally Posted by EmaNymton View Post
Hi,
I want to participate with an application but I don't know in which category it fits.
It's a client for openligadb, a community driven database for (primary german) soccer results. The applications for live-scores in ovi store are (in my opinion) very limited, so I started to write one to satisfy my needs (primary auto-update scores with selectable notification)

In which category would you put it?
Sounds like a great idea EmaNymton Hmm.. tricky to categorise as it has quite a few elements.. let's start with a process of elimination. We begin with the 6 categories:
  • •Desktop, System & Utilities
    •Games, Graphics & Multimedia
    •Network & Communications
    •Location & Navigation
    •Other
    •Updates and development on existing apps

I believe (from the description) that we can rule out 'Games..', 'Location..', and 'Updates..' out right away. I'm thinking maybe 'Other' category, what does everyone else think is most suitable for EmaNyton's application?

Originally Posted by leon.anavi View Post
Right now I am too tired even to edit the wiki. So I will submit MoGateway as well as location2sms (at the Updates category) to the competition tomorrow.
Welcome aboard Leon, hope it didn't spoil your vacation too much Don't forget to update

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I dislike process of packaging an application [...snip...]
You and me both! It can be a right pain, so I'd encourage our beginners to have a practise run at packaging at this stage (even if the application isn't finished yet) so you're familiar with the process and ready for it.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide
I am stuck on changing the interface of hildon-touch-selector to display not only text value of the column, but also additional information. The tree model does include the "additional information", but the hildon-touch-selector does not show any awareness of it.
I would be grateful for help with C, since I am quite sure there are problems with memory allocation and pointers which I cannot see myself.
Memory allocation and pointers - coming from a Java background I know how you're feeling Has anyone offered any advice to you yet? If you haven't already i'd advise adding your post to the development subforum, it has a greater chance of being seen there. Also, nicolai and Atilla77 are often on there and have been great in helping me in the past. I'll ask about on twitter later when i get home from work, keep us up to date with any progress etc

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-08-14 at 15:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
IMO for the german soccer results app "Other" should be the category...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I have added an other apps i ve created : Wleux

https://khertan.net/Wleux

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
@kojacker @thedead1440:

Thanks, updated the wiki-page with my app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EmaNymton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Now, if anyone would like to volunteer to make a competition website and has some hosting for it we'd still be all ears
What do we really need? Would an "wordpress" instance be enough? We could have one "post" for each application, one page for each category and use the category tags as well to group the posts.

I assume we can setup this using wordpress.com but I can also offer something like codingcompetition.b2-4ac.com (or XXXXXX.crochik.com)... In fact, I wouldn't even mind registering a domain just for this if people think it is a good idea.

Let me know...the hosting is the easy part... If anybody with "design" talents is willing to participate we can start the experiment

I think we still need a safety net here, in case we don't have 6 valid enteries when the competition closes, so I'd like you all to think about a prize rule where unallocated prizes can be fairly distributed to other categories. Cos sometimes my head hurts when I think about it
The name is "coding competition" so I assume is only fair that we have a "competition"... In other words the number of prizes has to be less than the number of entries
I am sure we had this discussion before but I still believe we could rearrange the prizes depending on the number of entries. I would suggest something like at most a ratio of 1 prize for 2 entries... the prizes excess we would assign to the categories with the smallest ratio.... In short, a category needs to have 10 entries to have 5 prizes... The location one for now would be allocated just 3 prizes

Hi rash, the general split of the prizes is out there but the little details are not quite finalised yet. I'll put together something with the device split and bounty split soon for everyone to look at and consider. But effectively, we have 25 devices to get into developers hands and i would like to see that spread as widely as possible. Also, Nokia might think it very odd when we put in a request for multiple devices for the same person So of the 25 devices, the expectation is we'll have 25 different device winners. If someone is lucky enough to be in the position to win a device with one application and have an additional entry also placed in a device winning position, we could substitute a bounty share and allocate that device to the next placed entrant. That was a very long sentence, but I hope it made sense
I have to say that I hadn't considered this but I think it is probably more community-like to add a rule that states only one prize (at least one phone) per person from the competition.... So even someone with a first place in one category and a second another would just keep the first prize...

Just my 2cts...

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Does this thread allow for members to request a new project?

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
What do we really need? Would an "wordpress" instance be enough? We could have one "post" for each application, one page for each category and use the category tags as well to group the posts.

I assume we can setup this using wordpress.com but I can also offer something like codingcompetition.b2-4ac.com (or XXXXXX.crochik.com)... In fact, I wouldn't even mind registering a domain just for this if people think it is a good idea.
Sounds good Funny enough I played around with adding a competition entry form to an old wordpress blog of mine lunchtime yesterday. It's sitting here if anyone wants to take a look at it. Although it's unfinished, it is actually 'hooked up' email-wise so be warned - anything u submit will be emailed to me!

Let me know...the hosting is the easy part... If anybody with "design" talents is willing to participate we can start the experiment
Ofcourse we do have our very own design guru - qwazix!

The wordpress idea is pretty neat fcrochik, I hadn't realised that you could group posts by category tags - that would take a lot of work out of me creating the threads manually too I don't think I have enough bandwidth on my old blog hosting to handle the uploads/views/downloads without getting charged for exceeding it, do you think you'd have enough? Or anyone else? If you do register a domain I'll share the cost of that, though it's probably not necessary. Would be neat though

Or is it just simpler to update the wiki and/or everyone email me with details and I'll create threads on here?

The name is "coding competition" so I assume is only fair that we have a "competition"... In other words the number of prizes has to be less than the number of entries
I am sure we had this discussion before but I still believe we could rearrange the prizes depending on the number of entries. I would suggest something like at most a ratio of 1 prize for 2 entries... the prizes excess we would assign to the categories with the smallest ratio.... In short, a category needs to have 10 entries to have 5 prizes... The location one for now would be allocated just 3 prizes
I see what you mean, it's a good idea. Hmm.. but then you have the counter argument that, by making an application in an unpopular category, perhaps they deserve more of an award for their efforts..? A fixed number of prizes per category keeps it really simple.. until you dont have enough entries :P If possible, I'd love to find a half way solution where unallocated prizes can spill over into other categories but in the fairest way possible. It's tricky, because using your idea if you got 6 entries in one category but they were all excellent it could also be unfair to reward only 3 prizes. The other prizes could go to another category which had more entries but possibly to inferior applications. Sometimes you can't win every way you try It's trying to find the best-worst solution

I have to say that I hadn't considered this but I think it is probably more community-like to add a rule that states only one prize (at least one phone) per person from the competition.... So even someone with a first place in one category and a second another would just keep the first prize...

Just my 2cts...
It's a good call too, fcrochik. The reason I wanted a prize per application, rather than a prize per person, was that if a developer put that extra effort in then shouldn't they be rewarded for that? If the maemo.org users like two applications enough to vote both into a prize winning position then it means that the users are happy to see the developer rewarded for both.

I can see both directions being 'right', let's get some more thoughts from the folks out there

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-08-15 at 13:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas