I'm trying to upgrade my N810 to the new OS, and using the Update Wizard says it'll take 466 minutes to download the update.

I've already downloaded the file (All 134Mb) to my PC using another source, which before you download it says it's a .bin file. When it's actually downloaded, it shows as a .php. The Wizard wants a .bin file for the update though!

Do I need to convert it with something, or is there some step I've not taken?

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
That happened to me too. The MD5Checksum is correct for the file, so I just renamed it to what it should have been. My guess is that it is a bug in Firefox.

BL

Sorry, what do you mean by rename it? I've downloaded the update, and the MD5Checksum file. And just for reference, I'm using IE7 but I don't think that makes any difference. Could be wrong though.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you have a file in Windows, you have the option of changing the name of the file. So you would take a file that is called thisisatest.php, for example, and rename it to thisisatest.bin.

Alternately, you could take a file and save it as any name you like.

These are basic Windows functions.

Once you have renamed the file to somethingorother.bin, you could proceed with the installation instructions.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
1. Right-click on the hyperlink to the file download.
2. Select "Copy Shortcut"
3. Open NOTEPAD
4. Paste the shortcut text
5. Edit the shortcut text to remove the preamble up to the beginning of the real filename.
6. After you have downloaded the .php file to a directory on your PC, rename the file using the text in NOTEPAD. This way you don't have to worry about typing that l-o-n-g filename correctly.

BTW...just upgraded my N800 to OS2008 and it's working great so far.

Lovely, done it! The reason I couldn't get the renaming thing to work, is because it appears Vista (Insert witty comment here) doesn't let you do it! Hoorah for dual-booting!!

Cheers peeps.