Notices

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Not liklely, given the IR port on the n900 is a transmitter only (CIR) rather than a transceiver.
Ah, of course. Note to self, 'think-read-think-then write'.

Originally Posted by sampppa View Post
I would support Polar iWL heartrate monitor if someone releases the specification for the bluetooth protocol they use. Currently i can parse heart rate from that data but there are still many things unclear, like does the belt need some kind of wakeup signal every now and then and when connecting the belt with device etc.
I have asked SportsTracker/Polar to open the protocol but no answer yet.

I am not sure if its even legal to use their belt with other applications than SportsTracker especially if we have to reverse engineer their protocol...
Hi,

Just received the Polar WL+ Bluetooth in the mail today and spent the last few hours on studying the protocol. For some reason the belt stops transmitting after 17-20 data points. Here's the hexdump of one data set:

Code:
fe 08 f7 01 f1 00 00 5d
fe 08 f7 02 f1 00 00 5d
fe 08 f7 03 f1 00 00 5d
fe 08 f7 04 f1 00 00 5d
fe 08 f7 05 f1 00 00 5d
fe 08 f7 06 f1 00 00 5d
fe 0a f5 07 f1 3b 03 e4 04 2d
fe 08 f7 08 f1 3a 04 2a
fe 08 f7 09 f1 3a 03 d9
fe 08 f7 0a f1 3b 03 e1
fe 0a f5 0b f1 3c 03 dc 03 a1
fe 08 f7 0c f1 3c 03 b7
fe 08 f7 0d f1 3c 03 d1
fe 0a f5 0e f1 3c 03 b8 03 e1
fe 08 f7 f1 3c 04 1f 
fe 08 f7 00 f1 3c 03 e7
fe 08 f7 01 f1 3c 03 f6
fe 08 f7 02 b1 00 0e 1a
... and there it stops. The belt seems to need some prodding or it goes back to sleep. However sending random characters like space or cr just makes it go silent. Blah.

The second byte seems to define what data the line contains. The lines with fe 08 contain heart rate data: the sixth byte is most likely the heart rate. The fourth byte is a counter (but why is it missing on line 16?).

BTW, I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. Polar also sells the Bluetooth heart rate monitor as an OEM product.

--Martin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvonweis For This Useful Post:
There is new eCoach version (1.65) in extras-testing. New version has more sports defined and it fixes the bug where default sport type or heartrate range was not saved.

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...l/ecoach/1.65/ Install, test, vote
thanks for the update, the "save as default" option works now

I forgot to ask if you could add the opencyclemap as a map source. I think it should be easy if there is openstreetmap already available. I prefer the cycle to the street as there is possible to read the terrain (topo).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enakki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Upgraded to 1.65 and working well. WOuld love to see the record button colour change also is there any chance of using the led to blink whilst recording mode is on?

Also, as per my PM to the developer, are any bike users wanting an auto start stop function so we can get riding avaerage as well as journey average.

Use this application everyday on my ride two and from work, just need to save up for an HR belt

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Hi.

Feature request: Is possible to make scale/ruler on the map screen in one of next versions of eCoach?

The Following User Says Thank You to onioni For This Useful Post:
Hi, firstly what a great app. Well done and thank you.

Now for my question and suggestions. I train mostly using heart rate and like most sportsmen work in various HR zones (recovery, aerobic, anaerobic etc...) before I go out and purchase a compatible HR transmitter belt, does ecoach display full LIVE HR data including a way of showing what target zone your in? i.e will my current HR and percentage of Max be displayed on the screen and does this display actively show if I'm above or below the targeted zone?? Does it offer any audible or visual warning when you go outside the targeted zone like most HR monitors do?

I'm pretty sure ecoach probably doesn't do these things. If so is there any plans In the future to add such functionality??

Whilst I'm at it I might as well add my wish list, so here goes:

1. All live data dispayed on the map screen, maybe in a small box. Items such as 'Current speed' and 'Avg speed' 'Live HR data and zones' ' Exercise time' etc, It's good to have the data post ride but having it easily readable in one display during is even better.

2. The ability to warn you visually and audibly when you’re working below or above a target HR zone. Maybe your current HR and HR Percentage of max could be displayed and be in green or red to indicate if your in your targeted zone. It would also be good if this could be displayed at all times on the main map display.

3. Most HR and cycle computers now have an auto-pause feature so when you stop or reduce you speed to a pre-determined speed the exercise timer stops. Without this when you stop at traffic the average speed and HR get all messed up. Obviously you can manually pause but that’s very difficult and dangerous whilst negotiating traffic.

4.The ability to pre-plan a route and upload using a gpx file. There's some great websites that enable you to map a route and create a gpx ( http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx ). It would be great to do this and transfer to your n900. Not turn-by-turn but still a good navigation tool.

I'm sure the more I use it the more I'll think of. For now it's a great app, but if only....

Cheers, Andy.

Last edited by mightymidget; 2010-07-09 at 02:52.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mightymidget For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by mvonweis View Post
Hi,
Just received the Polar WL+ Bluetooth in the mail today and spent the last few hours on studying the protocol. For some reason the belt stops transmitting after 17-20 data points. Here's the hexdump of one data set:
Yeah, protocol seems to be rather simple. I tested it today and seems to be working just fine. Lets see if I can add beeps for HRM limits... Also burned calories could be nice to see, is there any good formula for calculating it from pulse?

@Sampo, could you add those patches?
http://palosaari.fi/ecoach/

Antti

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Thanks for the great app. Works very good, especially in conjunction with heiaheia.com. (Only: Max and average speed should also be submitted to the site.)

How is porting to Qt going? Any experiences with using the Nokia Qt SDK you want to share?

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
@adrianmilev @nexus_7 @edgemon Which version of eCoach you are using? If upload fails you can try to reset upload settings and also remove existing upload rights from the settings on HeiaHeia website. After that try to upload again and go trough authorization again.

Let me know how it goes.

Sorry - I've been on holiday...

I have gone through this - deleted authorisation from my heiaheia account, then gone through the authorisation process again, and I see it appear under my settings page
Reset my n900 ecoach settings and then tried to upload - no joy, just get the upload failed message.
Where can I get the logs from to see what is happening?
Im on the latest version of ecoach..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Originally Posted by crope View Post
Also burned calories could be nice to see, is there any good formula for calculating it from pulse?
I found a couple of good papers on this on my university's site which have got some derived formulas. I'm not too sure what the legality is if I just post the papers here, but maybe you could pm me your email address and I'll send them through?