Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
If i want to extract the rootfs on my Ubuntu machine. How do i do? I understand it is DD. But whatever i try don't work.

I thought it would be something like this.. but it wasn't
Code:
dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/to/folder/
You can't just use dd straight from the image, otherwise you end up with just a smaller chunk of the image. You'll need to mount the image as a filesystem. Assuming you've got all the necessary kernel modules built, you should be able to do:
Code:
mount -t ubifs -o loop /path/to/file/img /to/folder

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Hm, this is interesting - You had it in the backup? And it didn't carry past a reflash to 1.2 then restore? What did(does) uname -a state?
Well i've reinstalled titans kernel now but can do another restore if you want... wouldn't be a problem

I don't think its possible to flash OptFS through the flasher, which was why I implemented it in my menu.
Thats what I thought

Can you elaborate? I can't improve it if I don't have error reports...
Yeah sorry, it just stopped at about 60% and rebooted, then couldn't get it to boot(obviously) and wouldn't reflash with normal flashing procedure(with pr1.2 image + flasher) as would get stuck at byte 1024 saying the 'resource was busy' while flashing. only way i could get it do anything was with flasher + the .img file I made with your menu...

but all good now

Thanks for all your hard work, will try the menu way again next time I have to restore, just in case it was a one off.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You can't just use dd straight from the image, otherwise you end up with just a smaller chunk of the image. You'll need to mount the image as a filesystem. Assuming you've got all the necessary kernel modules built, you should be able to do:
Code:
I tried that to with the exception of ubifs.. didn't think it of that it was ubifs.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Code:
When I try this I get:
Code:
robbiethe1st@rb-lt-new /Data/n900 $ sudo mount -t ubifs -o loop ./20100721-backup-rootfs.img /media/rootfsmnt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
What did I do wrong?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Birmingham
Hi,

I am having trouble restoring images.

As you have probably guessed creating the back up images worked okay.

I boot up with the keypad open, BackupMenu starts.
I press 'r' to restore a backup.
I press 'p' to restore OptFS.
I press 'p' to tell BackupMenu to look at eMMC/MyData for the images. (I only have a 1Gb SD card which is pretty full).
I press 'a' to restore the previously saved '20100725-backup-optfs.img'

At this point nothing further happens; the Select File screen remains, I have tried leaving it for a while (4 hours!) just in case something was happening in the background but still the screen remains unchanged.

This happens with both OptFS and RootFS images although I have managed to restore a RootFS image via flasher-3.5.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me where I am going wrong.

Cheers

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
ill have a quick look at gettign this going on MultiBoot for ya
dj_steve -

Just wondering if you've made any progress on this. I know you're doing incredible work on NITdroid and I'm currently waiting for the arrival of a microSD card so that I can test it out, but I'd love to be able to have BackupMenu installed as well, and usable without any conflicts. Do you think that will be possible? Thanks!

Originally Posted by leighw View Post
Hi,

I am having trouble restoring images.

As you have probably guessed creating the back up images worked okay.

I boot up with the keypad open, BackupMenu starts.
I press 'r' to restore a backup.
I press 'p' to restore OptFS.
I press 'p' to tell BackupMenu to look at eMMC/MyData for the images. (I only have a 1Gb SD card which is pretty full).
I press 'a' to restore the previously saved '20100725-backup-optfs.img'

At this point nothing further happens; the Select File screen remains, I have tried leaving it for a while (4 hours!) just in case something was happening in the background but still the screen remains unchanged.

This happens with both OptFS and RootFS images although I have managed to restore a RootFS image via flasher-3.5.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me where I am going wrong.

Cheers
Hm, what -version- of BackupMenu are you using?
Also, what keyboard layout do you have? Does the first row of keys start "qwerty..." or perhaps "azerty..."?
My system is currently only setup to deal with the American layout,
and for that system, the 'A' key is on the second row of the keyboard, second key from the left side(next to the blue alt key).

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Birmingham
Hm, what -version- of BackupMenu are you using?
Also, what keyboard layout do you have? Does the first row of keys start "qwerty..." or perhaps "azerty..."?
My system is currently only setup to deal with the American layout,
and for that system, the 'A' key is on the second row of the keyboard, second key from the left side(next to the blue alt key).
Hi, I am using version 0.31-2 and the keyboard is the qwerty layout and the 'A' key is 2nd row, 2nd column as you describe. I didn't know that was American, learn something new every day.

Thanks for your help.

Alright then, things should be working right.
Note for future reference that my system is designed such that once it accepts input, you will see something different on the screen - For example, if there was a bug that made it crash when it got a certain combination, it would most likely display "loading xxx", and then crash, not crash at a "waiting for input" screen.

Try pressing B, C, D etc - Perhaps the input-checker counter is off by one?
Also, if that doesn't fix it, make a second dummy ".img" file on the eMMC(contents can be blank) - this will trick it into thinking there's two images, in case its not accepting input due to an error in the "counter-checker" script-chunk.

Let me know how those go; If you can get it working(or not), I will know what to fix and fix it in a day or two.

Hello, i installed 'bootmenu-n900' from the extras-devel repository and have done a backup of the rootFS and opt, both went well.
My question is: is it supposed to start at once when i boot with keyboard open? I was hoping on having it as an option in the bootmenu instead.
Currently i have moved the script away from /etc/bootmenu.d/ for the bootmenu to show again.

Otherwise seen no problems. If i corrupt my fs again this will save me about 1 day of restoring (reinstalling,configurations etc). Awesome work!