Thankfully, we have iDont's busybox-power.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
For myself, I've gotta say, I have no problem with Maemo. But then, I'm probably not looking for what other folks are.

Maemo is (so far) the only version of Unix on a cell phone that has had any support. (Android, of course, runs on top of Linux, but there's no way to get down to the Linux layer without major hacking.) I can run all my favorite Unix utilities, edit text with vim, write shell scripts, and build apps using standard languages like C++ and standard libraries like Qt. In short, it does everything I want a computer to do.

But there will be other cell phones / pocketable computers in the future running Unix. It is, ultimately, the most successful OS in history, and eventually touches every platform. I don't really care if they end up running a relative of Maemo or not, I'll still be able to bring all my favorite tools and port all my favorite creations over, because in the end, Unix is Unix is Unix...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Are you referring to drivers or some separate part of the kernel here? What exactly do you want? And does it have to be opened under GPL?
I think Vi_ is referring to all bits that are needed to run a newer kernel. So every Nokiash|t which is bound to the 2.6.28 such as BME.

Vi_ You couldn't have it described any better how I feel about maemo. And still. it's the best mobileOS =/

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
But there will be other cell phones / pocketable computers in the future running Unix. It is, ultimately, the most successful OS in history, and eventually touches every platform. I don't really care if they end up running a relative of Maemo or not, I'll still be able to bring all my favorite tools and port all my favorite creations over, because in the end, Unix is Unix is Unix...
The next cell phone running Unix will probably be a Blackberry with QNX. It's not a relative of maemo. I doubt it will be easy to port maemo stuff over (would love to be wrong).

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The iPhone runs Unix, too. And that's probably more of Unix than Android would be.
Hopefully Tizen will be a worthy replacement for Maemo...

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Costa RIca
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The iPhone runs Unix, too. And that's probably more of Unix than Android would be.
No. Tizen is just another rebranding that will be forgotten...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejcrashed For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
If it shows up on the horizon in a form of a phone which is competitive on the marke and will be developed for a longer period of time then MeeGo...

You think it's possible to port plasma active on maemo? i think it has one of the most beautiful UIs.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
1. The freaking kernel. Jesus christ, Give us the GOD DAMNED SOURCES for those stupid closed bits? What does it cost you? Just dump a tarball on megaupload or whatever, we will take it from there.
So THAT's why megaupload was taken down...

On an on topic note, I did try at some point to have a newer kernel on the N900, but I gave up, couldn't even get it to mount the root fs.

Thinking of implementing a hooking platform, sort of like MobileSubstrate on iOS (had an iPhone since November, so I'm taking ideas from it, at least the jailbroken side of it), that might make things easier, rather than forcing complete rewrites of apps.

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2012-03-26 at 23:05.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
^Your doing what now?

I'm flattered

Tags
buysomethinelse, not again!!, waaaahmbulance