Active Topics

Notices

This is really odd... I noticed that the choppy audio mainly occurs when I am making / receiving a call through my local server (asterisk or yate). When I make a call through sipgate, it seems to be fine (it still has slight issues sometimes, but not nearly as bad).

The weird thing is that calls from a desktop sip client softphone have no issues at all. They sound perfect...

I too dont have a great experience with my own asterisk server. The experience has a bit improved using lxp wifi drivers and setting power-saving to intermediate.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Berlin
The problem is currently not fixed (even not in community SSU AFAIK), but I was told that there might be a chance to backport fixes from the rumoured upcoming harmattan phone.

In my experience it really depends on the access point, with my fritzbox 7170 as home/office there is no way to make reliable sip calls with the N900, I eventually decided to use my old E51 here (which works perfect for years now). But I had no problems in several Free Wifi Cafés and the conference venue in SFO. Saved quite some money ;-)

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ The Netherlands
Just to let you guys know;

I was receiving and sending choppy SIP audio (also choppy Skype, GTalk) using wifi and 3G connections, the choppiness wasn't permanent though.
It turned out the amount of bandwidth available on my 3G connection was quite small (especially upload), to small for most codecs. And my router didn't prioritize VOIP traffic (Torrent traffic was interfering with VOIP traffic). I solved it quite easy by:

1) Configuring my sip account so it only uses iLBC, (it seems this codec uses the least bandwidth, that's why I chose it).
2) Did some QoS configuring in my router (WRT54GL -- Tomato
Version 1.27) in order to give SIP (and other VOIP services) absolute priority over all other traffic.

These two little tweaks did the trick and SIP/VOIP is working like a charm now.

It almost seems like the n900 is more susceptible to jitter during calls than other sip devices are. (I may be totally wrong on this though).

I switched back to the regular (non power) kernel, and my sip calls seem to have improved. I am going to try this for a few days, and see if this continues. Other people that are having this issue - are you using the power kernel?

@eriks That would be awesome if some fixes could be backported to the n900 from the new device coming out. This issue is very frustrating to say the least.

I did a few more tests, and the audio quality has definitely improved since I started using the regular (non power) kernel. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
I did a few more tests, and the audio quality has definitely improved since I started using the regular (non power) kernel. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
Yes, it does. I have been using stock-kernel for a long time because of this 'choppy' reason

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=overclock

Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Yes, it does. I have been using stock-kernel for a long time because of this 'choppy' reason

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=overclock
What in the power kernel causes this? I miss being able to overclock, and tether...

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
Changing between the standard kernel and power kernel makes no difference in quality for me

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
also tried the lxp wifi drivers with no improvement, for people like me with choppy audio with skype also try this messing with this config file mabye you have better luck with it than me

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=21