Closed Thread
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
Just stumbled upon this idea...

I would love to see at least conceptual pictures about what you plan to create. Then more people at least would be willing to pledge on your mod.

Any visual idea would suffice. Even better if you made like 1 for your own and then took pictures of it for others to see.

I'm sure MANY (including myself) don't mind to purchase your idea hardware mod if we can see what we're paying for
Totally agree: if I can see what I would be buying, I would pre-order, but for now it remains a somewhat vague plan with many different GREAT possibilities but still... well... just a plan.

Could you perhaps make a drawing, or mockup picture?

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely awkard at drawing and mockups. I suppose, that photos of prototypes (when will move to milling them in alu) must be enough, although, it's going to be rather close to finishing project.

Thank for being interested in it, though!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Of course, it's just personal opinion, and alu remain main focus for this project, but I wouldn't be surprised, if I would choose wooden variant as "main" body for my own device, at the end. Also, it remain viable alternative, in case of signal strength problem being unfixable (highly unlikely, but still - after all, as said, any decrease of signal, in any N900's radio, is totally unacceptable, for scope of this project).
I totally agree and would prefer a wooden one too- not only that the material is more natural, also it is a great gadget to raise the n900 over all other mainstream phones- I do not know any with wooden body
Again, great Idee I wouldn't be surprised if other people feel the same way...

Thanks and CU

Michael

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Can't wait for the release

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Unfortunately, I'm absolutely awkard at drawing and mockups. I suppose, that photos of prototypes (when will move to milling them in alu) must be enough, although, it's going to be rather close to finishing project.

Thank for being interested in it, though!
Just an idea that might speed up things a bit, why don't You publish some photos of already set up equipment/tools/etc. on first page. That would put some thought into hungry minds, and get some donations - it's way better support something that at least You can see (kind of trial/demo alfa ver. that community can test).
Alsow I was thinking You could post list of the things You still have to purchase due to start, with more or less accurate pricing of each one of them. So at the end we all can see how much more You need. Like target amount of cash, with for example list of supporters.
That list afterwards may be (by Yourself) transfered on web page - simple list of nick names - which can be trigerred by scanning QR Code placed at the inside of back cover, there is good few options to do this on alloy.

Those are the things You might do, in my opinion, to encourage support and all good things that goes with that - cash flow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
I've already posted some photos and videos of equipment - good idea about putting it in first page.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Have you created blueprints for this?

As I've answered some time ago, blueprints for CNC machines are quite different, from what You would expect. One can either write gcodes directly, or take pains for convert cad/cam projects to gcodes (which is necessary for complicated project like this). If You're experienced with cad/cam projects, let me know via PM - I already got info from some helpful ones, that are willing to participate in this side.

Unfortunately, "generic" modelers - like for 3D objects You see normally in everyday life - are of little use here, sadly.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Hehe, I have examples of photos took via my experimental 10x zoom module I;ve created for sue with N900 camera (took two photos - one normally, and one with module attached, showing the same object). I will post them in a while.

Hoever, it's just a teaser - zoom for camera isn't yet accepted as fully feasible for this project, so don't hold Your breath. I must focus on base goals first, as taking on every crazy and great idea, will make me working on it for next 10 years

/Estel

// Edit
Here are photo examples - both took from N900 (warning! big files):

Unmodified N900 (notice house in right part of photo)

The same house as in phote above, just via 10x zoom - exposition wasn't adjusted properly, and angle is wrong - it's just photo on auto settings (and autofocus!), as a proof-of-concept.
---

If You open files and zoom them to full size, You will notice, how unbelievable amount of details N900's camera is able to pick, even via crazy high 10x zooming. In more sane zooms (I had only 10x rifle scope to spare for modification , removed wires of targeting "X" during the process ), colors and details would be even (much) better.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-09-29 at 12:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
From a "different barrel" - I'm looking for *broken* (well, it don't have to be broken, it's just that it doesn't matter if it's working, or not) N900, to use it as a helping body for Aluminum Body replacement project.

What I'm going to use it for, is testing body part's contact with motherboard (which have high risk of bending forces placed where they shouldn't be, due to dealing with early prototypes). I don't want to use "living" N900's motherboard for this - I once destroyed my main device charging chip, this way.

Motherboard (with all parts present, no matter if working or not) will do, but of course, whole device is even better (custom body replacement project is going to use screen module as-is, adopting it's slider mechanism) - I will be able to mix new and old parts together, checking, if they fit, without risking damaging anything.

Is there anyone, who could donate broken N900 for this project?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel