Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
AFAIK here's how it boils down: if it's a pure Java issue, then having a Java client running on the N800 *should* facilitate access to site functions that we currently can't. BUT-- if browser checking is involved, that adds another wrinkle.

Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Does this mean we may get to utilized the java accelerator chip finally
I remember a Sun blog entry somewhere which explained that it wouldn't make a difference. I don't remember the full details or the reference but I think the theory was that the hardware accelerator only accelerated the already quick operations and not the slow operations.

You may be able to find more with some googling.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
AFAIK here's how it boils down: if it's a pure Java issue, then having a Java client running on the N800 *should* facilitate access to site functions that we currently can't. BUT-- if browser checking is involved, that adds another wrinkle.
If he is referring to a J2ME app it would be browser independent.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Let's also not confuse Java applets (which require a browser plugin and a full blown Java runtime), with Java applications (Java SE) such as JEdit (which require a full blown Java runtime), Java SE applications using SWT such as Eclipse (which require a full blown Java runtime and a port of SWT), Java ME applications (like you get on a mobile phone, which require a Java ME runtime) and Java PE applications (like you get on cutdown devices).

Provision of any single one does not guarantee any of the others. Java for writing applications (i.e. either Java ME, PE or SE) would be fantastic; but is only one part necessary for Java applets in a web browser to work.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
So whats the status on this? Are there any betas available to play with?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Build information and binaries here: http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobile...tformsNokia800

Ton.

I received the following error at that url in IE7:

Software error:
flush(): couldn't store datastr: store(): couldn't open '/usr/local/twiki/tmp/cgisess_e20156528f7d001bc3e9329783a15611': Stale NFS file handle at /usr/local/twiki4.1.2/lib/TWiki/Client.pm line 451.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@oreillynet.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
When I went to email the page to the site admin, it rendered fine in Outlook 2003.

Go figure.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Hmmm, i see this....

That's what I get in Outlook. Error in IE7 though.

Hmmm... Imagine, Micro$oft stopping access to a Java site.... Naw that would be an act of a monopoly... doesn't sound like something M$ would do.

However let's not get excited, sun has NOT ported any AWT or UI to the nokia device. Honestly I don't think they get the importance of Embedded mobile devices. And while M$ may, if WinMobile is the answer....well we are in trouble... or maybe I don't understand the question.

JamVM and GnuClasses are the best we can hope for, for a while.
Maybe sun or someone else (please nokia help with a Java port to the 770/800) will step in and make something usable.

FYI.. I'm a JavaME developer, and Pi$$ed at $un for leaving us (java developers) hanging when it comes to portable java.

Sorry.. don't mean to sound like flame bait. it's been a bad monday.

-Shawn