Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
meego community? lol
you're looking at it..

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
There is not so much of MeeGo on this N9 . I think Maemo6 is better name for this and maemo.org is right place to the n9/N950 be.

The Following User Says Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Also if I remember correctly, for the N900, lots of devices were distributed to developers at various conferences. This is not really the case for the N9.
You're wrong. It IS the case and Nokia already gave away more N9 at conferences than N900s. They gave away 300 N900s at the Maemo Conference in Amsterdam. An even higher number of N9s was given away at Qt Dev Days 2011 in Munich. And Qt Dev Days in San Francisco are yet to start.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I don't know, but I feel like there are (were) s few million n900s sold.

And only so much as a couple hundred thousand n9s. It is REALLY limited in supply.

I think supply was strangled so much that demand diminished instead of increasing.

That and the completely out of this world price.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Yes, but in a time of two years. The N9 has been on sale for about a month now.

And only so much as a couple hundred thousand n9s. It is REALLY limited in supply.
Is it limited in supply? Given you're in a supported country, you can just walk into a phone store, and get a subsidized N9 with contract. That was hardly possible with the N900, which was mostly only available in online stores.
In unsupported countries, the N9 can be bought in online stores. So, actually the supply situation is IMHO better than it was with the N900.

I think supply was strangled so much that demand diminished instead of increasing.
This remains to be seen.

The N900 started at 650 € as well. Prices are already falling as with most smartphones after a few weeks on sale.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Wrong, there was def. ramp-up issues in the 1st mth or so after shipping from factory was announced.
But it was confirmed as getting to normal capacity about a mth or so back.
See the epic N9 thread, was posted by a user who has contacts at soumi (the primary factory)
My mem's hazy, but it was up to about 6000/day IIRC, easily shattering Eldar's rumor of 92k.

These initial constraints def. did have an impact on pricing, & the fact that it was brand new on the market. (good street prices always take a while)
But there's no doubt pricing's been getting better, & availability's become way more widespread (for the 30-odd countries it's destined).
A kind of deja vu seems to happening for the white N9 though, hopefully it'll ramp-up very soon.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-11-26 at 19:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Friends, my purpose is not to demand anything from the Maemo community. If they do not want to transition to N9 there is nothing we can do about it. I just want to point out that the N9 is in danger due to very haphazard growth of the app store. Only massive sale of N9 can save the Harmattan platform now and for this to happen users expect to have some essential apps. Smartphone users are not a patient lot as there are so many alternatives now. I'm not demanding anything, I'm only hoping the Maemo community pitch in to help with their expertise and apps which can be ported over. Otherwise Elop will have an easy victory.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
I would have thought about transitioning to an N9, if it were at all possible for me to get one on contract.

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Friends, my purpose is not to demand anything from the Maemo community. If they do not want to transition to N9 there is nothing we can do about it. I just want to point out that the N9 is in danger due to very haphazard growth of the app store. Only massive sale of N9 can save the Harmattan platform now and for this to happen users expect to have some essential apps. Smartphone users are not a patient lot as there are so many alternatives now. I'm not demanding anything, I'm only hoping the Maemo community pitch in to help with their expertise and apps which can be ported over. Otherwise Elop will have an easy victory.
What transition? I really want a N9 but its not released yet in my country.Please send me one.Regarding what you call 'appstore' it was not built overnight for N900.Since you have one N9 with you now,you cant be impatient and make a hue and cry over here.Why dont you send MAG and all the cssu team two N9's each.And dont forget to donate one to lxp.

The Following User Says Thank You to udaychaitanya16 For This Useful Post: