Hi everyone,

my gf just recently got a Nexus S and I've been trying to send pictures or what not via NFC to her phone, but it is not working. I turned both our NFC on but it doesn't connect or send.

I know my NFC works because I've tried it with the Play 360 speakers at a Microsoft store. Please advise. Thanks!

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I also was unable to share a business card from my N9 to a firend's Nexus S.

We started the NFC exchange, and I think I even felt the N9 vibrate for a second like it does when it finds an NFC connection, but no data was transmitted.

Is data transfer via NFC still lacking a common protocol, or does either the N9 or Google phone just not use the accepted standard for push/ftp data over NFC?

Guess I shouldn't be too shocked that this didn't work. At our recent N9 owners meet up, we had nothing but N9's with NFC enabled and it still took us a while to get the NFC transfers working.

At first we were just bumping our phone into each other ad-hoc. We probably looked like the apes banging at the monolith at the start of 2001...

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
NFC file transfer is usually just Bluetooth file transfer with NFC being used for the automatic pairing of devices.

But with Android, you're out of luck. Android can only transfer files to Android phones using NFC.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
And wasn't NFC only part of bluetooth since version 4.0? And since Nokia didn't support BT4.0 for the N9 I guess the NFC on the N9 has very limited use.

I wonder though what technique they use for NFC pairing with the 360 and the file transfer between N9's. Some kind of proprietary stuff?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
No, the 360 speakers is Bluetooth, too. NFC is only used for switching on the speakers and doing the Bluetooth pairing.
NFC is not like Bluetooth. It's just for reading/writing tags with only a limited storage capacity of a few bytes. Think of rewritable RFID tags.
Those tags can store website URLs, or authorizing or pairing information.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^I think he realizes that, think you misunderstood his post.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
NFC file transfer is usually just Bluetooth file transfer with NFC being used for the automatic pairing of devices.

But with Android, you're out of luck. Android can only transfer files to Android phones using NFC.
are you sure, i just had a 4 way orgy with bunch of pics from the galaxy nexus to the nexus s to the n8 and back to the n9

all via magical blue tooth

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
lol. ^this cracked me up

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
are you sure, i just had a 4 way orgy with bunch of pics from the galaxy nexus to the nexus s to the n8 and back to the n9

all via magical blue tooth
I've been able to exchange files via Bluetooth from my N9 and an N8, but I was unable to get an N9 to move files to a Nexus S over NFC.

How were you able to do that?

<EDIT>: Sorry, UCOMM, I mis-read your post and thought you were using NFC instead of bluetooth. I'm dumb. Ignore what I say.

Last edited by cddiede; 2012-03-15 at 13:07.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
I've been able to exchange files via NFC from my N9 and an N8, but I was unable to get an N8 to move files to a Nexus S over NFC.

How were you able to do that?
Do you mean via bluetooth? The N8 doesn't have a NFC chip.