Ive had my n900 for 1.5 years its been good but there's some quirks i can't fix even with cssu and 900mhz oc. i was wondering how the n9 compares
  • When someone's calling it's slow to come up, maybe 5 sec till it responds. it just rings on the lock screen or a blank screen.
  • emails take a while to load. 5gb gmail inbox and a mfe account.
  • medias take a while to load. about 17gb of music and 4gb of videos/pics, i dont even use it as a music player anymore. id like to move on to spotify
  • lack of mms. fmms is ok but when i get mass texts from android and ios it sends it as individual mms.
  • slow browser speed. even tried using google's dns.
  • biggest gripe is google calendar sync. it just doesn't work. and 3rd party software can be a clunky work around. ie manual syncing

i actually like the lumia series and was looking forward to the 920. but im on tmobile usa and its availability looks exclusive to at&t. (anti competition, dunno what they're thinking when they're trying to gain market share)

i do want to own an n9 for my collection so i found a used one for 2/3 the price of the retail price. but its cracked on the glass by the plastic. about half a cm long. and its black, i prefer magenta

cliffs:
n900 want to get an n9 but curious if problems are fixed.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
I can see all of your problems with the N900 is the "slowness",
if you dont want to sell it let me please recommend you to flash it and install cssu-thumb then you can compare it with the N9 speed
what cssu-thumb ? power search up ahead

Good luck

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
cssu-thumb doesn't give you the smoothness and speed compared to the n9 sadly...I've both and although i got the n9 first and the n900 later on; its sad but true the internals for the n900 have become slightly long in the tooth...

A n9 nicely overclocked to 1150mhz is faster and more usable...

However as sifo said yup try cssu-thumb first since you already have the n900...

Btw for your questions:

When someone's calling it's slow to come up, maybe 5 sec till it responds. it just rings on the lock screen or a blank screen.
This doesn't happen on the n9

emails take a while to load. 5gb gmail inbox and a mfe account.
I've a 2GB gmail inbox and only the past 2weeks emails are synced at first and new emails are added on. However, if you use MfE for gmail, it gives you the option to sync all emails via MeMailSettings add-on...Do remember the userfs data partition is only 2GB so if you sync all your emails with attachements etc you are pretty much screwed...If you want you can sync only headers to keep it to a minimum...MfE seems to work fine; if you have a hotmail MfE you need to use MeMailSettings to make it work as M$ have changed their protocol and almost every phone has a problem with it including iOS and Droids...MeMail is the only workaround AFAIK globally for hotmail accounts...It force changes the protocol so that hotmail MfE works...

medias take a while to load. about 17gb of music and 4gb of videos/pics, i dont even use it as a music player anymore. id like to move on to spotify
You will definitely need a 64GB n9...Tracker with pr1.3 onwards does give issues but if you are competent enough it should not be an issue...I've around 15GB of music and they get detected immediately but for all to be detected when I first transfer them in it took around 5mins...I've 6GB of videos/pics and same thing...

lack of mms. fmms is ok but when i get mass texts from android and ios it sends it as individual mms.
The n9 has mms built-in...If you are typing an sms and attached something it auto-converts the sms to a mms...

slow browser speed. even tried using google's dns.
IMO, the stock browser is actually not that bad...For flash you'll need to use Firefox...See some youtube videos for the stock browser to make up your mind...Its miles ahead of symbian stock and IMO better than MicroB on the n900 due to its speed and wrapping of text...

biggest gripe is google calendar sync. it just doesn't work. and 3rd party software can be a clunky work around. ie manual syncing
Google calendar can be sync if you use MfE...But only 1 MfE account's calendar can be synced at a time...At the moment i'm using hotmail MfE for my calendar...Maybe someone else can give their opinion on this...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-17 at 05:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by deviantv1ral View Post
Ive had my n900 for 1.5 years its been good but there's some quirks i can't fix even with cssu and 900mhz oc. i was wondering how the n9 compares
[LIST]
[1]When someone's calling it's slow to come up, maybe 5 sec till it responds. it just rings on the lock screen or a blank screen.

[2]emails take a while to load. 5gb gmail inbox and a mfe account.

[3]medias take a while to load. about 17gb of music and 4gb of videos/pics, i dont even use it as a music player anymore. id like to move on to spotify

[4]lack of mms. fmms is ok but when i get mass texts from android and ios it sends it as individual mms.

[5]slow browser speed. even tried using google's dns.
1) It's easier and snapier than the N900 but still somewhat quirkier than most other phones.
Still, the N9 is a HUGE improvement over the N900 on answering calls.

2) I find the email experience better on the N9. It's faster, plus newsletters look and load way better on it. I have a huge problem with newsletters (containing lots of images) on the N900.

3) Videos and images load way faster on the N9. It's not even funny.

4) I don't even know if mms work on the N9. Never use mms myself. Why bother, actually? Why not sending the picture via an email?

5) Browser is a mixed bag. It's definitely faster on the N9 BUT the N900 has properly working flash player plus all the numerous keyboard shortcuts that make serfing a breeze.
So... internet on N900 is little slower but more "complete", if you get my grip.

^ pretty understandable outcome considering the 1GB ram the N9 has (plus the faster CPU)

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
I can see all of your problems with the N900 is the "slowness",
if you dont want to sell it let me please recommend you to flash it and install cssu-thumb then you can compare it with the N9 speed
what cssu-thumb ? power search up ahead

Good luck

./sifo
have you ever use n9 before? Be honest, n900 is great, really great, but sometimes you cant hide its ages, jm2c

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Nigeria
iasked my selfsame question 2 weeks ago..and theforum..i gotan n9..now myn900 is of less importance dust cuzi got a c7for whatsapp and light out door gaming...my n9 runs droid4.1.1 (sandwich) nemo(windows mobile 7.5) and meego...truing to port ubuntu for it if not for my laptop which is crashing allover the place like some lil ***** .plus the swipesystem for meego is awesome.its abeautifulphone and itwill have apps for your needs. all

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
have you ever use n9 before? Be honest, n900 is great, really great, but sometimes you cant hide its ages, jm2c
No i didnt, but im saying this according to what N9 users said after they tried thumb on their N900's and my point is cssu-thumb is just making the device faster and save some MBs in rootfs

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Try it, try both please,

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Buy lumia 920, will be much better than N9. For me, N9 was a downgrade from N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deviantv1ral View Post
Ive had my n900 for 1.5 years its been good but there's some quirks i can't fix even with cssu and 900mhz oc. [...]
1st things 1st...
  • -1- are you simply bored of the N900 and want a new toy?
  • -2- is the slowness of your N900 so bad that you need something faster???
    (i.e. if you could give your N900 back its original snappiness, you'll happily go on with it?)