Active Topics

I wouldn't mind paying 700 Euro's for a modern Linux phone with kbd. That said, I am not willing to pre-order and I assume that is needed to fund a project like this. What people are willing to pay is usually something different than willing to risk losing..

Might change my mind if a well known company with an experienced team is organizing the kickstarter.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
That said, I am not willing to pre-order and I assume that is needed to fund a project like this.
Bingo. I'm done with kickstarting a project that under delivers.. if at all. I get it, we're quite the niche market here, but there has to be some device that cannot be too far removed from what would be a commercial device that suits our wants as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Sorry for my scepticism, but seems like you're underestimating the size of such project.

As for examples, you may look at Ubuntu Edge as failed crowdfunding.
You may also look for Pyra and Neo900, for costs and time that such project will require. (Please note, that both of the teams got enormous experience with development of such devices)

I'm not saying that it not worth trying, but probably you should present at least the concept and the financial plan for the project.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Before you start any ffinancial planning, you need to know it's even worth starting. Which is what I thought Chen's post does: assessing the level of interest.

Ubuntu Edge was not so much a failed crowdfunding as it was a publicity stunt. I would not use it for anything wanting to look even remotely serious.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Before you start any ffinancial planning, you need to know it's even worth starting. Which is what I thought Chen's post does: assessing the level of interest.
Agree, but the level of interest will depend directly on the final price of the device, we should get at least the estimates.

For the Edge, it was nice marketing/market research move, but I believe that it also showed the price for developing device with bleeding edge hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Neo900 syndrome, but i hope it will become reality ASAP!!

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
It doesnt need to be bleeding edge hardware, it just needs to be recentish and have a keyboard, and hopefully not be quite as expensive as the neo900.

I think for mass appeal and ease of procurement it should be a straight forward android device with a keyboard. After delivery we can worry about porting various operating systems to it, like fremantle or sailfish or whatever people want.

I know many people here wont like that idea, but its the best way to keep costs down maximise volume.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Agree with point 1, not sure about 2. We do not need mass appeal, just viability.

Regarding point 1, Neo started off as the N900 with a slightly updated hardware. This is what I signed up. But then it got sidetracked with all that stuff about privacy and that mission creep, along with mismanagement, killed it. Had it stayed true to the original mission, N900 with a better CPU and more RAM and nothing else, it may have been finished already.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Yknow it would be nice...to have modern hardware with fremantle on it.

Hell it would be great to have a straight up option of linux distros on your phone with telephony enabled
Booting pure gnu Linux with telephony enabled, wow it would be like a dream coming true. Fremantle ui on top of a gnu Debian ( I know Fremantle is a Debian based) with lot of packages to play with, no problems related to lack of development, updates. But general public still doesn't want pure Linux they want 4gb ram, 16 mp camera, security breaching OSes, they don't care about privacy and it that's y we guys are suffering . I show my friends Nokia n900, sailfish device all the time and they say " u r not a VIP" even computer teachers teaching in KV schools I used to work with they said the same thing " we r not VIP" so we should not worry about our privacy. The last option what I truely believe is a DIY rasp pi based phone but all we can do now is wait and watch.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Ignoring all the can do and can't do I would pay the following for the following phones:

up to 400€ (depending on exact specs) for:

1 GB RAM (better would be two)
CPU as fast as Raspberry Pi 2
Screen no larger than 4.7 inches
Decent display resolution (better than 1000x600)
3G
GPS
Bluetooth
MicroSD slot
3.5mm jack
Good hardware keyboard
Camera 5MP+
USB Host/OTG
Resistive touch
Decent battery life
Linux with current kernel+ phone capabilities
(Sailfish or Maemo especially welcome)

Up to 700€ for:

As above except
Screen can be larger up to 5 inches, AMOLED Screen
At least 32GB storage
2 GB RAM
Camera 8MP+
GPS+Compass
Good build quality

Happily 1000€ for:

As above except
Full HD Resolution
CPU 64 bit nearly as fast as Raspberry Pi 3
4GB RAM
Screen up to 5.5 inches, AMOLED with low power mode for as N9
LTE
Camera comparable with 808 in Quality, software has to allow raw capture, custom exposure times and focus range, xenon flash
WLAN ac
Bluetooth 4.0 with LE support
Decent audio quality
Long lasting / decently lasting and easy replaceable battery
Thickness below 1.5*N900
Hook for wrist-strap
GPS+GLONASS+Compass

I will not participate in crowdfunding for this, other projects have shown the risks. Maybe I would be willing to give somebody a little incentive if he shows real progress, something between 20€ or 50€ with a little discount on the final product, but I will not preorder.

Last edited by Macros; 2017-01-09 at 18:41.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love