Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@attila77: no idea.
I'd imagine it should be designed to at least output 1080p.

AFAIK the RX-51 doesn't have a native HDMI output, could it use some kind of adapter?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
AFAIK the RX-51 doesn't have a native HDMI output, could it use some kind of adapter?
The device hasn't been announced yet. We don't know for certain what kind of video output it has. The leaked images show a composite video cable, and the line drawings in the FCC filings might provide some hints as to what the connector looks like, but the question is still far from resolved.

If the RX-51 provides composite only, then interlaced SD video will be the limit. Your only HDMI adapter will be a bulky, and rather expensive, scaler.

If the RX-51 offers something better--component, RGB, Mini-DVI, Mini DisplayPort, Mini-HDMI, 3G-SDI--then you'll be able to explore the limits of the device's ability to push pixels to HD displays.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-08-14 at 23:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Another question is do you actually NEED hd playback, considering the screen resolution. I'm not ever sure about the convenience factor, as I learned via QTE that with transparent conversion you can reduce space requirements, increase copy speed and retain maximum (visible) quality at the same time.
I don't follow - what's QTE transparent conversion. Is the idea that drag/dropping a video transcodes it instantaneously to a maemo5 "perfect fit" - sounds cool but not feasible.

Even though the device only has 800x480 - the attraction for me is to be able to copy over a video, without having to recode (as long as we stay in the 720p region).

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
I don't follow - what's QTE transparent conversion. Is the idea that drag/dropping a video transcodes it instantaneously to a maemo5 "perfect fit" - sounds cool but not feasible.
Err. Why ? I did that a couple of month ago , check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJM0o7j4Rw towards the end (4:20), it's a bit of an overkill with the configurable front-end, but nonetheless, you do get plain and simple drag-and-drop action to get your movies in the desired format on the tablet. Doing it fully transparently (as in, filesystem level) is also possible (at least on Linux, no idea about Win/MacOS), but that would require more effort/time.

For some more details, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28212 (development got sidetracked with all the summer activities, but definitely not abandoned).

Even though the device only has 800x480 - the attraction for me is to be able to copy over a video, without having to recode (as long as we stay in the 720p region).
That's what I'm saying. If recoding does NOT incur an additional step (effort) and you likely won't see any visual difference on the output (screen or likely even tv-out), than why is that a question at all ?

Here's a confirmation that Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX can play 1080p stream with no problem:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/20/i...ideo-playback/

well ok, they show some glitchy videos there too, but I assume it's just codec incompatibilities. anyhoo, technically it's powerful enough decode and rescale the video stream on the fly.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Here's a confirmation that Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX can play 1080p stream with no problem:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/20/i...ideo-playback/

well ok, they show some glitchy videos there too, but I assume it's just codec incompatibilities. anyhoo, technically it's powerful enough decode and rescale the video stream on the fly.
That post clearly shows that engadget is a apple fan boy... in the first place the iphone cannot play HD video.... why have that title and show that it cant?

On the other hand sachin, you shouldn't let being an apple hater cloud your judgement and senses. They've managed to play most 1080p trailers, but found 2 specific problematic files: the avatar trailer which shutdown the audio driver and a 720p file shot with their dslr. So in the video they only showed one sample of each.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
@eldarmurtazin Can the RX-51 play all high bitrate videos without converting? Did you use a software to play other codecs?

@rajuvamsi007 yes, it can, but not sure whatwill be in the final version

Great.... no more video conversions

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Guys, that's no moon... It's not playing back 1080p - it just manages to get out info from a 1080p stream. That's a huge difference. With enough hackery we could probably make even the N810 'play 1080p streams', but the video displayed would have nothing to do with HD resolutions or quality.