Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
The scare of supporting multiple screen sizes and ratios is mainly coming from developers
Of course it s a real pain with the existing framework !

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I find that one-handed FB reader portrait is much, much, much more comfortable for extended periods.

Using blue-maemo when controlling my media PC would GREATLY benefit from portrait, one-handed mode, rather than needing both hands to change volume or pause.

Sometimes when I'm stirring something on the stove but need to look up the next step, it's useful to carry out this operation with my free (as in libre, har har) arm. Grab my girlfriends ipod from my pocket and comfortably scroll the page down a bit without missing a beat.

As I understand it, choice is good, and if apple has taught us anything, when things are easy and 'just work', is when we most enjoy using them.

I believe it is a big mistake to leave out portrait as I anticipate it will dampen peoples experience with this wonderful device -- even if they can't put the 'why' into words.

YARR!
}:^)~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Edit - @Capt'n Corrupt
Sincere Apologies

See: N900 Orientation Thread

Last edited by jimizzle; 2009-09-06 at 11:53.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jimizzle View Post
In conclusion, it is sad to see that Nokia has forgotten that they are designing a mobile computer NOT a computer. Thus, it is crucial that they delicately balance their two objectives to avoid total failure.

Computer: Full marks
Mobile: 70%
Funny thing, this portrait mode. Until we had cellular voice, just a few bold hackers cared about system-level screen rotation/flip. Add in a cell radio, and suddenly lack of portrait is a sign of total failure. Funny how these things work. DPAD, full SD, hard cover, move over, there is a new kid in town. Portrait Mode.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
@attila77,

From what I gather from the general chatter in this thread is that lack of portrait is not a sign of total failure, but adding it would enhance the experience of using an N900 for certain tasks; generally one-handed tasks.

}:^[~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
@jimizzle

I appreciate the thanks, but it's generally bad form to post one message in more than one thread. I've read the above post in three separate threads which some refer to this as forum spam.

}:^/~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo5v.disappointmentwar