Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Samsung Announces 30nm-class, High-density NAND Flash for Mobile Devices

SEOUL, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced semiconductor technology solutions, today announced two high-density memory solutions for mobile devices. The new storage solutions – a 64-gigabyte (GB) moviNANDTM memory device and a 32GB micro secure digital (microSD) memory card – satisfy mobile handset designers’ requirements for advanced compact high-density memory.

“Samsung’s high-density memory solutions bring the storage capacity levels of computing systems to small, mobile devices,” said Dong-Soo Jun, executive vice president, memory marketing, Samsung Electronics.

He added, “The 64GB embedded memory, moviNAND, and the 32GB microSD card each greatly expand the data storage density of mobile devices, meeting customers’ memory requirements and ushering in a new era of mobile and IT device capacity growth.”

The memory solutions are based on Samsung’s advanced 32 gigabit (Gb) NAND flash. The 64GB moviNAND, which measures 1.4mm in height, consists of 16 30nm-class 32Gb MLC NAND chips and a controller. The 17-die stack was achieved by using 30-micron thick chips and advanced package technology. With the new 64GB solution, Samsung's proprietary embedded memory, moviNAND, is now available in 64GB, 32GB, 16GB, 8GB and 4GB densities.

The 32GB microSD card, developed this month, stacks eight 32Gb NAND components and a card controller. The industry’s highest capacity, production-ready microSD card is enabled by the use of Samsung’s advanced 30-nm class 32Gb NAND flash memory technology. Previously, the highest density microSD card in production had a 16GB capacity and was based on 40nm-class 16Gb NAND. The new 32GB card is 1mm-thick. The portion of the card that is inserted into a handset measures just 0.7 mm in height.

According to market research firm iSuppli, the global NAND flash memory market for 32GB and higher memory cards is forecast to be 530 million units in 2010 and reach 9.5 billion units by 2013 (in 16Gb equivalent units).

Samsung’s new 64GB moviNAND has been in mass production from December 2009, while the 32GB microSD is now being sampled with OEMs, with mass production expected next month.
I do hope that those will be available, prefrerably earlier than later.

At least the prices of 16GB cards are coming down even more.

They DO work with the N900, right?

Discuss.

Photo: http://www.businesswire.com/multimed...D-Flash-Mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
The card should work fine with the N900.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
Discuss.
I'll save you some time....

<insert rants about N900 memory limitations>

<apologetic remarks on N900's limitations and how they came about>

<ultimatum to sell his N900 if it doesn't support 32GB microSD>

<snippy quip about iPhone's non expandable memory>

<long piece about iPhone's business model>

<reminder to get back to topic>

<personal attack>
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'll save you some time....

<insert rants about N900 memory limitations>

<apologetic remarks on N900's limitations and how they came about>

<ultimatum to sell his N900 if it doesn't support 32GB microSD>

<snippy quip about iPhone's non expandable memory>

<long piece about iPhone's business model>

<reminder to get back to topic>

<personal attack>
lol @ ysss...Brilliant!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
So, does the N900 support 32gb µSDs ? Anyone tried yet?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think anyone has tried yet. I'll buy one as soon as I can, unless I hear something dire. Thought\ I guess there's no big reason to get one except to load more music or something...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't think anyone has tried yet. I'll buy one as soon as I can, unless I hear something dire. Thought\ I guess there's no big reason to get one except to load more music or something...
Has it been released?

I have 2 16gb micro sd cards in an adapter for my PSP. Thats 32gb and it works. Surely the N900 can handle a single 32GB memory card.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaSPeRFXX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Judging from the article included with this thread, it hasn't gone into mass production yet, or is just starting. That would mean that someone with good connections could theoretically have tried it, but we can't buy it yet.

Originally Posted by acou View Post
So, does the N900 support 32gb µSDs ? Anyone tried yet?
If you read my post about 2 places above yours, I already answered that. For the 'tried yet' part, you'll have to wait for the card to actually come on sale. However, it's really simple: If 4/8/16GB SDHC cards work (and they do), then 32GB cards work too. If not, then the specific card is broken. Simple.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
If you read my post about 2 places above yours, I already answered that. For the 'tried yet' part, you'll have to wait for the card to actually come on sale. However, it's really simple: If 4/8/16GB SDHC cards work (and they do), then 32GB cards work too. If not, then the specific card is broken. Simple.
It depends though, several phones that support an 8gb SDHC will slow down the moment you whack a 16gb SDHC into it.

Tags
32 gb, 32gb, accessory, card, flash card, flash storage, microsd, microsd card, microsdhc, microsdhc card, n800, n810, n900, removable storage, secure digital