Active Topics

Notices

Um, where do I find a rubybox installer?
I've been trying for nearly 2 days now and all the links either don't work or I get the 'incompatible application package'.

Starting to get kinda frustrated now....

I believe I installed it using the Application Manager and the maemo Extra or Maemo Extra Developer (MED)catalogs/repositories. Sorry, I can't remember which one, but activate both & it should come up in the list of available applications. If you do enable the MED, but sure to deactivate after installing RubyBox, as not all the applications/updates are ready for primetime.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Ok, 0.73-6 is up on extras-devel;
Some basic questions, where is the config file to specify the auto mount dir on startup? Where should the .key file be placed?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
DOSBox is now on normal extras now too.

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Some basic questions, where is the config file to specify the auto mount dir on startup? Where should the .key file be placed?
The config file is at ~/apps/DOSBox 0.73 Prefs.txt , should be autocreated at program startup with sane values.

.key files should not be place anywhere. The nokia.sys file should be place wherever you want, as long as it is accessible under DOSBox. To load it use "keyb C:\path\to\nokia.sys us".

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your efforts and the info javispedro. One more question for you or anyone else. What's the best way to get the xkbd below working? I've come up with a method, but it's sloppy.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
New working double keyboard.

First, there is no Shift key, since it will break the Xkbd program.

However, there is a Caps Lock button, just below the red Backspace key.

Now, the Caps Lock button tends to carry it's flag when you close out the keyboard.

Meaning, that if you're typing in Caps, but the keyboard is all lower case, just press the Caps Lock button and close out the keyboard.

The next time you fire Xkbd up, everything should be all spiffy like, and you should only have to do this once.

Sorry for such an incredibly small font size.

Is there a way to customize each key as to how big the font is for it? I'd like to use three different font sizes in total.

I'm not finding how to do that. So any help on this would be really welcomed.

Also, anyone care to draw up an up, down, left, and right arrow keys?

Each button is 26 by 28 pixels I believe and the image needs to be in .xpm format. I have no clue on how to even begin doing that.

Edit your /usr/bin/dosboxxkbd file to
#!/bin/sh
xkbd -geometry +65536+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x2.xkbd & xkbd -geometry +722+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd

Well, post any responses on the design or you can just pepper my stomach with tender kisses if you're feeling that grateful to me.

Cheers.

Here's the two files:
Attachment 1215
Attachment 1216

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I don't know the first thing about xkeyb (I'm using a N810), but just wanted to say that if you don't have a hardware keyboard you don't need nokia.sys at all (since it just does Fn keys).

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Install Ukki's excellent Rubybox.
Rubybox

Read up on everything about the Downloader and Xkbd.

It sounds like a lot of work but it's actually quite simple and you should have your keyboard set up within a few minutes after reading his wiki page.

Hey ukki and Javis!

I was prompted today to update Rubybox as well as Dosbox so I went ahead and downloaded the upgrades.

Now it's throwing fits on me.

If I type rbox in xterm, I get the following message:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/arm-linux-eabi/hildon.rb:11:in `require': no such file to load -- gtk2 (LoadError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/arm-linux-eabi/hildon.rb:11
from rbox.rb:2:in `require'
from rbox.rb:2

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

I've been trying to get 'Jones in the Fast Lane' working under DosBox. It's a mixed-mode CD (data and an audio track).

I had to update the drivers that the disk includes to get it to work, but I managed to get a working .cue and .bin file for it.

Those files work perfectly under Windows DosBox and an Ubuntu Dosbox.

However, they I get an MSCDEX error (MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid.) when I try to use it on my N810.

(imgmount d /path/to/JONES.cue -t iso)

Interestingly, if I try to imgmount the .bin file, it works, but I only get the data (which is as per the DosBox wiki site).

So, my guess is that either:
a) Cue files are not supported on the Maemo version of DosBox?
b) Something is wrong with the internal path parsing for the Maemo version of DosBox.
c) I am missing something horribly obvious.

Yes, I have tried to rename the cue and iso files to all lower case (thinking that might be the problem). I also tried to hard code a full pathname to the bin inside the cue file. No joy.

Any ideas? or can anyone confirm either of my hypotheses?

Thanks

I had this running in Dosbox over a year ago and it wasn't that hard at all if I remember correctly.

I believe I ended up installing the game from my CD onto my Windows Desktop (you won't want to install any music drivers since Dosbox on the Tablet can't handle the processing speed) and then transferred the whole folder right onto my memory card.

From there I used Rubybox and tweaked the settings for best performance.

I'm not seeing any reason to mount the entire CD like you're doing directly on the Tablet.

Post back if you have any luck or have more questions. I can always hunt down my CD somewhere and try it again with a better explanation next time.

Edit:
Does anyone need a simple explanation on how to get Xkbd installed?
I broke open a new tablet a few days ago and getting Xkbd installed was quite the pain (I thought it was packaged with Rubybox, oh well) but anyway, I have a pretty simple solution for it now.

Last edited by Addison; 2009-08-28 at 21:47.