Active Topics

Now that At&t will own tmobile is there a chance i can finally get 3g on my N900?

interesting point, though in the long run i feel this will be bad for those of us who like unlocked phones

2006- 4 nationwide GSM carriers
2012- 1 nationwide GSM carrier

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
As a somebody not living in USA and looking at the data prices(compared to country that loves high taxes)) and how the carriers control the phones available this just seems to set the whole situation even more backwards. Tmobile at least had some unique phones and enough of size to at least give a spark of competition to other big carriers.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
As a somebody not living in USA and looking at the data prices(compared to country that loves high taxes)) and how the carriers control the phones available this just seems to set the whole situation even more backwards. Tmobile at least had some unique phones and enough of size to at least give a spark of competition to other big carriers.
The North American wireless telco system is totally screwed up. All of the "freedom" that comes from unlocked phones doesn't help folks in the US one bit. So the combination of the two biggest GSM networks in the US to fight against the biggest CDMA network in the US (Verizon) just means ultimately that we're screwed in terms of competition and pricing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
i have been with at&t for over ten years and i was tired of the limited and overpriced data plans. i was getting ready to switch over to tmobile since i have had my n900 but now i guess i really dont have a choice, i just hope things get better, but that is probably just wishful thinking!

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I had Cingular, it turned into AT&T.
My wife had Centennial, it turned into AT&T.

We both switched to T-Mobile and now it is turning into AT&T. There is no escaping the evil empire.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
This is bad and shocking and yet people think about some stupid 3G on N900?

Monopoly in wireless sector is bad , the recent news about Vimpelcom buying Wind was not enough ? What the hell is going on people?

Total domination by 3-4 carriers?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
This is bad and shocking and yet people think about some stupid 3G on N900?

Monopoly in wireless sector is bad , the recent news about Vimpelcom buying Wind was not enough ? What the hell is going on people?

Total domination by 3-4 carriers?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71271

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Regulatory red-tape means nothing will happen for about a year, but this is still very bad. Having only 1 GSM provider in the US will mean those of us who like unlocked phones will have to go with AT&Tmobile in 2012/13. I left AT&T last year for T-mobile and enjoy lower monthly bills and better, MUCH better service all-round. Oh well. All good things....

Left ATT a long time ago because it was expensive and they had horrible service. Have been with Voicestream, which became T-mobile, since about 1998 or 1999. Have had a great voice, text, and data plan for years with t-mobile, with very good coverage and very good customer service. Also had my choice of great unlocked phones for all these years (including my N900). Heard ATT has sucked ever since I left and through their Cingular years. I hope every T-mobile customer jumps ship after the transition and ATT goes broke. Especially after hearing the other day that ATT is trying to strong arm customers who tether by automatically ugrading their contracts.

Tags
bada rox, love live att, wrong horse