Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
He's not a Jolla employee and that facebook group is not official.
group is not official, but
I am a Jolla employee. This statement should not be read as "the device will be locked"
15th comment on that post.
so...idk, really

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
He's not a Jolla employee and that facebook group is not official.
He is not but apparently the guy who posted the comment is, Bernd Wachter. Engineer at jolla.
Some other comments he made:

"I am a Jolla employee. This statement should not be read as "the device will be locked""

"I can only repeat what I already said: This statement is supposed to be read as 'the average customer lacks the skill to hack the kernel', and to emphasize that we never announced that we will lock the device. Before you get annoyed with us: Please check sources when reading news articles, to see if there might be translation errors from Finnish articles. Re-read carefully, especially when english is not your mother-tongue, and bear in mind that some or all parties involved in the interview might not be native speakers as well."

"Please read my comments, I already clarified it in more than one post. One last time: According to Merriam-Webster dictionary one definition of 'able' is 'having sufficient power, skill, or resources to accomplish an object'. If you apply this definition to the sentence mentioned you should come to the conclusion that the statement was "Consumers don't have the skill to hack the device", not -- what you constantly repeat -- consumers will be prevented from hacking the device."

Last edited by crisscross; 2012-07-19 at 11:58. Reason: added quote

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
He is not but apparently the guy who posted the comment is, Bernd Wachter. Engineer at jolla.
Some other comments he made:

"I am a Jolla employee. This statement should not be read as "the device will be locked""

"I can only repeat what I already said: This statement is supposed to be read as 'the average customer lacks the skill to hack the kernel', and to emphasize that we never announced that we will lock the device. Before you get annoyed with us: Please check sources when reading news articles, to see if there might be translation errors from Finnish articles. Re-read carefully, especially when english is not your mother-tongue, and bear in mind that some or all parties involved in the interview might not be native speakers as well."

"Please read my comments, I already clarified it in more than one post. One last time: According to Merriam-Webster dictionary one definition of 'able' is 'having sufficient power, skill, or resources to accomplish an object'. If you apply this definition to the sentence mentioned you should come to the conclusion that the statement was "Consumers don't have the skill to hack the device", not -- what you constantly repeat -- consumers will be prevented from hacking the device."
I can confirm that Bernd is an employee and this is accurate.

Think 'developer mode' that doesn't suck and enables you to flash own OS/kernel if you want.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Thank-you. Which was exactly my point in my first post here...

I can confirm that Bernd is an employee and this is accurate.
Think 'developer mode' that doesn't suck and enables you to flash own OS/kernel if you want.
Exactly, the people that still don't get this but have been reading the main thread & other main sources.
Well, I can only assume they have very poor reading comprehension or they just enjoy flame-baiting.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-19 at 12:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I can only assume they have very poor reading comprehension or they just enjoy flame-baiting.
Bang on the money with both points.
Easier to argue here where you have a captive audience, than at the pub where you might get a black eye for you stupidity...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Generally speaking, people seem to have forgetten that this is a tiny startup that suddenly got 10k+ twitter followers and a flood of interviews and media attention from all the way to the Wall Street Journal.

Their communication capabilities have been totally overreached. Lets just wait until they got something to show and judge them on that basis. Right now I would prefer that they communicate even less and instead focus on finishing the product and business plans. Both the positive hype and (especially) scepticism on maemotalk has gone totally overboard.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Might I suggest that they try to get their PR message together and put it on an official website or something rather than badly translated interviews and random posts on twitter and facebook?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
That's reasonable, but it doesn't excuse the sheer FUD due to folks who can't or won't read.
Not talking about the MANY MORE who haven't read or know, not entirely their fault.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That's reasonable, but it doesn't excuse the sheer FUD due to folks who can't or won't read.
Not talking about the MANY MORE who haven't read or know, not entirely their fault.
FUD? if Jolla knew the basics of communication things would be much better.

What he did was to say one thing, then turn 180 degree and say what he really meant was the opposite! Grow up! or at least learn basic communication. Stop talking in half finished sentences and half truths is a good start.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
looking at the responses here i can honestly say i totally agree with the tags...sometimes its about broadening your own vision...

Tags
jolla, misunderstand, notespecsorgtfo, note_spec_only, open_ur_speccs, specc is the, troll ericsson, typical_specc