Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
What i cant and never will understand is the app situation.I remeber Dec 13 when i got the phone running beta and nowhere apps to be found. I cant believe that it is nearly the same situation with the tablet. Surely the Jolla App Store has the "basic" ones but everything from openrepos incl. warehouse doesnt work. No tweetian, wifi analyser, sailgrande, cooktimer, flowplayer etc.

Did they really sent out devices to developers? If so why not to people like veskuh to adapt tweetian? Cause it is not in Jolla Store? They consider openrepos as competition?
This really pisses me of...example: Out of the box it is impossible to watch a movie / tv series off the mSD card. What a joke.
I would really like to know how that developer device program went - I for example don't know about any third party developer actually getting one. There were some theories those hypothetical developers were under some sort of NDA but it rather looks like no third party developers got them.

A bit off-topic, but asking anyway out of curiosity while waiting for my tablet:

How complete are the libraries and general purpose development tools provided with the tablet (or within reach from accessible repos)?

I mean, can we compile C/C++ and Gtk stuff on the tablet itself to get productivity tools like Inkscape, Libreoffice, Gimp or MyPaint up running on the tablet? Firefox? Thunderbird?

If so, is it possible to attach a mouse and have a cursor for input on the screen and use those programs as on a desktop?

Moreover, has anyone succeeded in making precompiled x86 code running on the tablet? I am thinking along the lines of Skype or Spotify...

Any success with emulators or even better, virtualizers like Virtualbox?

The chipset and hardware should be fairly "standard" to the Linux ecosystem, so my guess is that programs like these should work without too much trouble, given that they can be compiled and put on the tablet, right?

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The N900 unmounted the SD card automatically if you removed the back cover. It had a magnetic sensor for that purpose.

Jolla also has a sensor detecting that the back cover (also known as The Other Half) has been removed. Why not using it?
You really should post this as a feature request on TJC.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I for example don't know about any third party developer actually getting one.
I remember to have read on Jolla's Twitter acc or in the comments of Jolla's blog that Dirkvl got invited to the developer loan program and he also made some pictures with a Tablet for his carbon fiber case campaign so there should be some third party developers who got a Jolla Tablet.

Could somone with a Jolla Tablet in his/her hands please test how many apps (with and without active ShitDroid runtime) you are able to run before the first app gets killed/suspended?
I hope there are enough apps available for the Tablet yet to be able to test this.

Originally Posted by korpenkraxar View Post
A bit off-topic, but asking anyway out of curiosity while waiting for my tablet:

How complete are the libraries and general purpose development tools provided with the tablet (or within reach from accessible repos)?

I mean, can we compile C/C++ and Gtk stuff on the tablet itself to get productivity tools like Inkscape, Libreoffice, Gimp or MyPaint up running on the tablet? Firefox? Thunderbird?

If so, is it possible to attach a mouse and have a cursor for input on the screen and use those programs as on a desktop?

Moreover, has anyone succeeded in making precompiled x86 code running on the tablet? I am thinking along the lines of Skype or Spotify...

Any success with emulators or even better, virtualizers like Virtualbox?

The chipset and hardware should be fairly "standard" to the Linux ecosystem, so my guess is that programs like these should work without too much trouble, given that they can be compiled and put on the tablet, right?
Great question, seeing as XWayland went nowhere with the phone, maybe we lost all talent (seeing the amount of trolling on the board vs contructive criticism, doesn't sound too far fetched). For gkt and all other goodies we probably need weston. Will weston+gtk3(already waylanded supposedly, but again, lipstick vs weston) happen and we can run debian apps straight on the tablet? Remains to be seen, if we manage would be glorious (then again, not good for Jolla's ecosystem, but oh well)

edit: Oh and btw (also for those looking for specific use not handled by others), QtCreator works on jolla phone, so should work on the tablet (and probably useable at that), so yeah, c/c++ is a go (already is), now show me android device running eclipse

Last edited by szopin; 2015-10-12 at 19:19.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Precompiled libs do work, but I only tested few command line utils like Midnight Commander

Most dev libs should be readily available - I managed to install make and pkgconfig by mistake.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
http://new1.fjcdn.com/pictures/Troll...2c_1535950.jpg
Not sure if hrabal was trolling or art, zogg on the other hand
I like how anyone you disagree with is called troll nowdays.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I would really like to know how that developer device program went - I for example don't know about any third party developer actually getting one. There were some theories those hypothetical developers were under some sort of NDA but it rather looks like no third party developers got them.
I Asked them over twitter, there is no NDA on telling if they get the tablet, but they told they wouldn't tell because of "privacy of those users".
What I'm pretty sure that those "developer program" tablets were sent for review for bloggers. At least we've seen more of those mentioning those units than any popular dev here or on twitter (and how many popular jolla devs we have, especially that are not from here?). So yeah, community powered tablet but sales driven development

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I like how anyone you disagree with is called troll nowdays.
I like your style

edit:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
What I'm pretty sure that those "developer program" tablets were sent for review for bloggers. At least we've seen more of those mentioning those units than any popular dev here or on twitter (and how many popular jolla devs we have, especially that are not from here?). So yeah, community powered tablet but sales driven development
But not reading skills, literally two posts above yours:
I remember to have read on Jolla's Twitter acc or in the comments of Jolla's blog that Dirkvl got invited to the developer loan program and he also made some pictures with a Tablet for his carbon fiber case campaign so there should be some third party developers who got a Jolla Tablet.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1353

Or maybe dirk is not a developer

Last edited by szopin; 2015-10-12 at 19:43.

Great question, seeing as XWayland went nowhere with the phone, maybe we lost all talent (seeing the amount of trolling on the board vs contructive criticism, doesn't sound too far fetched). For gkt and all other goodies we probably need weston. Will weston+gtk3(already waylanded supposedly, but again, lipstick vs weston) happen and we can run debian apps straight on the tablet? Remains to be seen, if we manage would be glorious (then again, not good for Jolla's ecosystem, but oh well)

edit: Oh and btw (also for those looking for specific use not handled by others), QtCreator works on jolla phone, so should work on the tablet (and probably useable at that), so yeah, c/c++ is a go (already is), now show me android device running eclipse
Hmm... would you say that Qt based apps should be easier to get going or would that apply only to recent Qt5 code that can render on Wayland? Apart from Skype and Spotify, KDE and Qt apps like Marble, Krita, Clementine, QGIS, Konqueror, Kontact, Gwenview and Digikam would also be fantastic on the tablet.

Sigh, why is it that mobile hardware capable of running standard Linux applications is still such a pipe dream? Multitouch killed the X11 star?

I have been a bit undecided about Gnome 3 but I could see it fit on a tablet like this and actually have a fairly nice in-between interface on a device which would sometimes be used as tablet and sometimes as a laptop with some external peripherals.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
For gkt and all other goodies we probably need weston. Will weston+gtk3(already waylanded supposedly, but again, lipstick vs weston)
Weston should not be needed - Weston is a reference implementation of a compositor speaking the Wayland protocol - and you don't need that as you already have one such compositor called lipstick. Even in Gnome Shell on Fedora GTK3 work s just fine with Wayland without Weston, using the Gnome Shell Mutter compositor instead.

So what is needed if we want to run GTK3 apps such as Firefox, Virt Manager, Thunderbird, Corebird, etc. is to build GTK3 and all its dependencies.

I have started on this in the Mer OBS but haven't really got time to work on it lately. So anyone is welcome take over from there.

Originally Posted by korpenkraxar View Post
Hmm... would you say that Qt based apps should be easier to get going or would that apply only to recent Qt5 code that can render on Wayland? Apart from Skype and Spotify, KDE and Qt apps like Marble, Krita, Clementine, QGIS, Konqueror, Kontact, Gwenview and Digikam would also be fantastic on the tablet.

Sigh, why is it that mobile hardware capable of running standard Linux applications is still such a pipe dream? Multitouch killed the X11 star?

I have been a bit undecided about Gnome 3 but I could see it fit on a tablet like this and actually have a fairly nice in-between interface on a device which would sometimes be used as tablet and sometimes as a laptop with some external peripherals.
Qt is on the device out of the box, hence why you get QtCreator running with simple git clone/make (ok, in chroot, but again, show me eclipse compiling and running on any android, good luck). GTK3 is now wayland compatible, but expecting it to rely on weston. In theory, you should be able to run debian wayland packages without even recompile if we get weston running (x86 hype!), so all those you listed and more

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund