Closed Thread
fool me once Nokia, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again!
MeeGo, thou never knew thee. R.I.P. Maemo R.I.P.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwurk For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
on topic : tizen sounds like tarzan which has evolved from somewhere nowhere just to pull the plug on meego and guess what meego team members are trying to convince people to make a transition to tizen ,i dont know how one can be this ruthless ,one should be ashamed on that.
off topic : Qt app developers are not gonna like this .Being a N900 fan,i am quite disappointed with the way things are going & sad about those devs who have given about 2 precious years of their lives to meego.Finally Elop wins and meego dies .I would rather show a sympathy to those who have been working on for meego ,come back and lets have the joy of n900 and lets just stick to that .There is no fking future ,maemo dead ,meego dead and soon tizen will be gone too ,only thing which will be left is gonna be WINDOWS phone ,meego code is not goona be distributed .Between on this fall,incomplete meego CE 1.3 is gonna be the last release for N900, .So enjoy !! i think one can put his full faith in N900 without any doubt ,atleast upto 2012.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
So... Is MeeGo still under development? Has it "forked the shark"? I'm assuming since it was "all GPL and open" that someone has a repository clone setup, and a development area still? Or has everyone fled it like a sinking ship?

I have to ask because I haven't been following it. In this case, there's not really a clear successor (besides Tizen I guess) that they'll all just jump to because it's the new shiny. I suspect this shift is too quick and too brutal for even the most blinkered members. So where is everyone headed next? Or are they staying? (Or maybe coming back here?)

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Why bother with FOSS for mobile? Isn't it obvious by now that it's only a game played by the big guys? MeeGo changes name to Tizen (for all practical purposes) and suddenly everything changes? I don't think so.

All you need to know is that Bada rox, and soon it will rock a hell of a lot more - for some

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Why bother with FOSS for mobile?
Will you sing that same tone when Bada goes open source?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
We've heard this same sh1t before with MeeGo. I'm tired of the same old broken promises being rehashed. If they manage to get a device out early next year, I imagine it will be a netbook. I doubt they'll have a handset ready by then.
I understand your reluctance, given how badly MeeGo has been an anticlimax after the relative success of Maemo. Before, with Nokia and Intel, MeeGo were really two different OS's for two different hardware platforms. They never did manage to merge Maemo and Moblin, as far as I judge it.

However, consider that Samsung have been looking for an Android backup plan, and they have really been focusing on having the same environment across device sizes.

So I think they're going to focus on "mobile device platform" and not "tablet platform". And Samsung aren't as afraid to throw their weight around and make a change as Nokia obviously have been.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
No way it will be that soon. They have only just announced a partnership, to get the phone out for Q1 they would have to have devices and software in testing now.

The problem with anything new is that will be "step 1 of 5" all over again...
Well, actually a more accurate quote says "The initial release of Tizen is targeted for Q1 2012, enabling first devices to come to market in mid-2012" - so you are at least partially right.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
It seems clear that Nomovok have had some inside knowledge of Tizen in advance and are working with Intel on it. This is why they could announce so quickly. This does not mean that the Tizen platform is particularly open in general.
It means that they from day 0 aren't locking down the core like with Dalvik. That is reason for optimism in my book. All in all this is another bout of bad news for the Qt advocates at Nokia, but at least it's not completely abandoned yet.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
No, it's terrible news. There's absolutely no incentive for anyone to develop for this platform1), because popular platforms like Android, iOS and ZunePhone2) will support HTML apps long before Tizen could possibly build any market share.
1) HTML5 apps should be pretty portable. Any decent browser would want to drive them. Infact, that should eliminate the reason to buy an expensive smartphone.

2)
Microsoft released Windows Embedded CE in 1996. It got revamped into Windows Mobile in 2003, and then they swapped it for Windows Phone 7 in 2010. While buying and failing the Kin.

Samsung also released it's first Samsung Bada phone in 2010.

In one year, Samsung has managed to pass the market share of Windows on cell phones. I don't think you should underestimate the power of Samsung. Btw, didn't Apple and Google also manage to pass Microsoft@phones in about that long?

In all this, it's kind of amusing that Nokia has managed to stake all it's future on the one company that has proven that more than anyone, they're okay with failing the cell phone market. Oh, and even Steve Ballmer said in his interview recently - paraphrased - that Windows Phone was Nokia's problem, not his. At least Intel know they will die an IBM death if they don't break through on hand held computing soon.

With the number of cell phone OSs that has been closed down recently, and the recent Android uncertainty, there is no wonder that Samsung want a solid alternative. They're the new Nokia, and will not want to be 100% dependent on someone else/uncommitted to build the OS. Only idiots want that.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Will you sing that same tone when Bada goes open source?
Samsung seems to be getting the "Nokia disease". Bada 2.0 should be in out in June, but it's still nowhere to be seen except for beta. And now this Tizen. IMO this shows that Samsung is not capable of developing software fast enough to keep up with the market. Samsung is not even developing the core OS for Bada. Tizen is obviously only a playground for Samsung trainees and students. Something good is bound to come out of it, but it may not be what we think it will be, and it will mostly be good for Samsung only.

Bada with Tizen/MeeGo core - yes probably. Bada itself going open source - I don't think so.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
1) HTML5 apps should be pretty portable. Any decent browser would want to drive them. Infact, that should eliminate the reason to buy an expensive smartphone.
But that's a problem, isn't it? What's the point of developing yet another platform which will support HTML5, especially if it *only* supports HTML5? If HTML5 apps eventually are found to be just as good as native apps (which I doubt will be the case), then Android/iOS/ZunePhone will support them, and there's no need for Tizen. They aren't even aspiring to create anything that would differentiate them from the existing, increasingly entrenched, market leaders.

Tizen reminds me of something Lewis Black said: "This is the perfect gift for people who disappoint themselves, even in their dreams."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
But that's a problem, isn't it? What's the point of developing yet another platform which will support HTML5, especially if it *only* supports HTML5? If HTML5 apps eventually are found to be just as good as native apps
Reading Tizen's homepage native development is available too. Limo /SLP had html5 WAC too, but also promised native. So hopefully no problems

Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen