Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
One popular one : try to download using Torrent on iOS. There is no Torrent client without Cydia...
Great example, but I have to call in question how popular this truly is on a mobile device.

I ask out of curiosity and a true lack of numbers.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Great example, but I have to call in question how popular this truly is on a mobile device.

I ask out of curiosity and a true lack of numbers.
Well, I did a somewhat similar thing today - I downloaded all the OpenStreetMap tiles for a large city I'm visiting this weekend. It took nearly 8 hours on my N900, but since I was able to do it all in a background process, it did not have much effect on the other things I did with my phone today. I'm not sure I could have done that with iOS.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post

On the topic of the UI, I'm kinda hoping that it is not as smooth as the n9. In fact it I'm partly wishing for that "almost broken" feel of the n900, that was a big drive towards the modding scene with the QBW threads and design boards. As beautiful as the swipe UI is, it feels a little bit humdrum knowing that everyone else's looks the same.
I like the idea of a rough-hewn, DIY setup left for the community to finish up. This is what Nokia was REALLY doing with the tablet series, though they were pretending to release finished products. It would be nice if a major company openly participated in a truly collaborative effort with the community not playing second fiddle as it has here.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Well since Nemo mobile has been working fine on the n9, and this is a long shot, but if jolla mobile is fully open it can be ported to the mer core
They are using Mer core already. Jolla also donated servers for Mer community OBS.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-13 at 04:15.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Well, I did a somewhat similar thing today - I downloaded all the OpenStreetMap tiles for a large city I'm visiting this weekend. It took nearly 8 hours on my N900, but since I was able to do it all in a background process, it did not have much effect on the other things I did with my phone today. I'm not sure I could have done that with iOS.
Okay... this I can totally see happening. But a torrent on my phone? I can't say that I've been personally enticed to do that.

I have downloaded files with aTorrent (sgs3, ics) in the background while doing other things like www browsing and photo shooting on the foreground. Multitasking or "multitasking" is no issue in high end Android phones for practical things.

To succeed really, for example right now, JollaMeego should be installable to the top end smartphones like sgs3. Because Android will continue to be more open and better "real multitasking" OS, (if) with inferior hardware specs, Jolla-phones may not make it. Samsung prolly will bring Tizen installable to its high end Android phones eventually.

Picking out the separate threads that have come up in recent weeks, it would seem that MeeGo is going to be at the centre of a convergence of sorts, able to run applications/apps from multiple platforms...

Fremantle - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=meecolay

iOS - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...08#post1236908

Tizen - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ighlight=tizen

Android would be a possibility if the ACL can be exported from Tizen.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Okay... this I can totally see happening. But a torrent on my phone? I can't say that I've been personally enticed to do that.
I don't think I would really use a torrent on my phone (e.g.: never did). But I can imagine that tablet users that have no desktop/laptop would definitely use torrents, and tablets (at the moment) mostly have the same culprits (iOS/Android).

But then, you could also just have power profiles (power saving / normal / power burning) and let the user decide. Or directly let the user decide, and let him not start a torrent app when he doesn't need to (this sadly doesn't work with buggy apps that eat CPU while you don't expect them to).

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Another use-case for not killing background processes is on-device development. Lets say I'm on the train, doing some coding, and then compile my project. The last thing I want is for the process to be killed off because I have left it compiling in the background while I'm doing something else.

One of the reasons I was initially drawn to the N900 was because it is a fully functional computer that can fit in my pocket. IMHO a mobile computer should be able to do everything any other computer can do. Yes there are hardware limitations on a mobile device - I know that compiling on the device will be slow and will reduce my battery life but I don't have a problem with that.

I accept the hardware limitations but I don't want artificial software limitations imposed on me by sub-standard multi-tasking.

Given that Jolla's core is Mer, I expect it will have proper multi-tasking anyway.

Hey,

What do you think about this:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/...kia-defection/

contrasted with:

http://www.intomobile.com/2012/07/11...ext-available/

"Been going to China every month for about a year"

Coincidence?

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla