Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Usability improvements such as?
Hmm, let me think. Starting with general OS/global UI improvements...
  1. Fix the random forced app shutdown introduced in U10.
  2. Add cursor keys or some other navigation method to the default keyboards. In all language variants.
  3. Implement proper cut-and-paste that would work consistently the same way in all apps.
  4. Bring back the status bar or at least put on a single screen all the info the status bar would have normally shown. Having to swipe all over the place to see the clock, connection status, signal level, battery level etc. is quite annoying.
  5. Merge the lock screen with the notification screen to turn two pointless screens into a single sensible one.
  6. Stop app covers moving randomly around the home screen. Ideally let the user place them or at least keep them in one place.
  7. Fix the pulley menus for apps with long scroll contents. I have to give Jolla some credit there as they cleverly avoided pulley menus in the stock browser. Something similar is desperately needed in all apps with a lot of contents: email clients, text editors...
  8. Allow the use of some sensible icons for the Launcher folders.
  9. Allow the use of gaps (empty space in place of an icon) in Laucher.
  10. Implement a proper file picker for the use in any app, with a particular focus on making the access to the SD card easier.
  11. Skip the pointless <SD card ID> in the path to the SD card contents.
  12. Add a "new voicemail" notification.
  13. Have a proper dbus or similar mechanism so that tapping on a file in any file manager opens the file in an associated application.

...continuing with specific apps:
  1. Display the number of characters/messages when typing an SMS.
  2. Implement an option for faster email deletion. Ideally to delete them right away instead of moving to Deleted or have a tickbox to purge Deleted on exit.
  3. Delete emails properly, including all folders with downloaded attachments.
  4. Fix/implement proper email folder handling:
    a) Let the user order them or at least make the order consistent across accounts
    b) Allow the email client create, delete and freely move contents between folders, including across accounts
    c) Implement folder subscription
  5. Do not show the emails preview when you have multiple accounts. Show just the list of accounts on starting the email app and either do not show the previews at all or leave it for until after the user enters one of the accounts. At least make it optional.
  6. Add a "make link" to File Browser options.
  7. Add bookmarks to File Browser.
  8. In the absence of #13 in the above list, have an "open with..." option in File Browser.

I could think of dozens more. These are just a very brief shortlist I bashed out in a few minutes.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
And that is only tip of the iceberg?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@pichlo has really thouhght this hard!

For me the biggest inconvenience was the browser-hit-link-inaccuracy which was corrected in update 10.

For everything else I need there are corrections&tweaks

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I was asking Dave999 specifically pichlo as in the past he's just not understood many sailfish UI gestures such as navigating a page stack using gestures instead of pressing the top buttons but I'd have to disagree with the majority of those changes.

File Browser is not Jolla's btw, it's third party and the source is up on github.

https://github.com/karip/harbour-file-browser

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[*]Bring back the status bar or at least put on a single screen all the info the status bar would have normally shown. Having to swipe all over the place to see the clock, connection status, signal level, battery level etc. is quite annoying.
Not a huge priority, because 9 times out of 10 you can see those anyway with a single swipe or a triple tap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
@pichlo has really thouhght this hard!
Not that hard

For me the biggest inconvenience was the browser-hit-link-inaccuracy which was corrected in update 10.
Really? So the OS willy-nilly closing apps behind your back does not bother you? (Yes, I know there is a workaround that you no doubt have applied. I will come to that.)

Besides, ITYM "mostly corrected". It still happens sometimes, even in Vaarainjärvi, albeit about 100x less than before. When it does happen, however, the misclick is not a few mm off, but half the screen.

For everything else I need there are corrections&tweaks
Originally Posted by Bubbless View Post
Not a huge priority, because 9 times out of 10 you can see those anyway with a single swipe or a triple tap.
Even one click is too many when a solution exists that provides the same thing without a single click.

Sure there are tweaks/workarounds/ways to deal with OS/UI/usability defficiencies. The point is that there do not have to be. You (plural) ask for suggestions for usability improvements. I have offered a few. That's something called constructive criticism, you know

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
File Browser is not Jolla's btw
Quite right, my deepest apologies.
In that case,

14. Provide an official file manager.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-01-02 at 11:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Quite right, my deepest apologies.
In that case,

There actually was one (jolla-fileman or something, you could install it through pkcon) but it was just a proof of concept and stopped working after Qt 5.2.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@pichlo i cannot agree with the most of your "general OS/global UI improvements". Seems you just don't understand most of essential things. You might need to buy Android phone and be happy with it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
@pichlo i cannot agree with the most of your "general OS/global UI improvements". Seems you just don't understand most of essential things. You might need to buy Android phone and be happy with it.
Please skip these kind of lines. But rather explain to us if you are the only one that knows how the worlds spins?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Every file manager in the store is official.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rocks, not again!, tags suck!, yes again!