Active Topics

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
September is here along with some of it's autumn colors. Since the light is most beautiful during the golden hours of the day (morning and evening, when the sun glows orange), it would be nice to see some nice colours during those hours. So it's not important what you're shooting but we have to see that golden light clearly.

The rules are:
Photos must be taken during this month
Photos must be taken by the posting member
Photos must be taken with a camera phone
Users post only one photo per entry
Users can change the entry only once
Users must name the phone they used
(so I could include it for voting)
Last three days of this month are for voting

Here are some tips and examples.
Link 1, link 2, link 3

And a basic composition rule
Rule of thirds (the most important composition rule!)

Last month's theme

Happy shooting!

Last edited by Half-Life_4_Life; 2015-09-03 at 07:53. Reason: links were glued together...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Today was looking promising for shooting an entry for this month but the clouds rolled in about half hour after sunrise . . . Working with nature is even.harder than with.animals and children! (to steal from W.C.Fields)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
hmm... nobody yet?
okay, so I'll just make a start.

Sorry for posting kind of typical tourist shot.
But I think it fits the theme.
This was taken in Prague on my Jolla last week.
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Golden Hour -- check.

Rule of Thirds -- check (IMHO).

Tourist shot? Who cares? Looks good to me. Thanks for posting! I still haven't posted mine yet . . .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Name:  21114701074_8d6649ecb7_o.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  52.4 KB

My Jolla "the first one" has captered this only yesterday, then I have noticedt his topic being fit

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
@ste-phan you always amaze me with your angle and composition. This is a master piece, and it's from Jolla's weak camera.

This puts me off submitting mine.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
@ste-phan you always amaze me with your angle and composition. This is a master piece, and it's from Jolla's weak camera.

This puts me off submitting mine.
Just post your entry already please; I am so not into competition and we all like to see pictures

About the Jolla camera: maybe you already know this but just in case: always try to set exposure manually , even though there are only 5 steps, as well as the white balance.

Leaving those parameters on auto are generally not going to do the already very mediocre camera any justice.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
In my experience, really poor tools can ruin a good job but mediocre tools can't. Only a bad craftsman blames the tools. A good one can carve a David with a kitchen knife.

I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination. I would not even call myself an advanced amateur. This is all just my personal opinion and may be a complete BS. But I can tell you this. I have seen a lot of pictures in my long life. Some good, some bad. And the cut between the "yeah, OK" and the "wow!" was never in the camera. It was always in the finger that pressed the trigger.

Your picture, ste-phan, is an ace. I cannot fault it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Here I come - Just share the picture as ste-phan said.

This picture obviously did not take in "golden hours" (So feel free to disqualify it...) but I do have something golden - the moon.

It is Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as Moon Festival?) today and usually the family gets together and eat moon cakes.

But today it's just me drinking with myself but I took my trusty old pal Nokia 808 with me and shot the moon... Just now.

I cropped the picture as original 34MP is way too large but did not change anything.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival everyone!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
This picture obviously did not take in "golden hours" (So feel free to disqualify it...) but I do have something golden - the moon.
Last night was supposed to be full lunar eclipse, when the moon would be full and fiery red... bummer, woke up well in time for it but the cloud cover over southern finland was so dense there was no sight of the moon....

Next one is not due until 2018, so there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, competition, golden, golden hours, light, october, september