Notices

Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
Nothin' illegel here hun' da power of open source!
Secondly, it is -advisable- that you create a backup, and that you reflash your phone using the modified eMMC image (I know it sounds hard but it ain't). Then just run the autoinstaller I have created and you'll have NITDroid in no more than 20 minutes.
Hey ammyt

But I mean if it is open source then wouldn't this allow some geniuses to create an application that boot other OS on n900...maybe such as iphone OS ....

Ok I will do a backup...but I was asking if the third party conversations such as mns pecan or haze conversations will be lost or not?because I read it somewhere that they will be lost and I really don't want to lose my msn conversation.

btw ... brilliant work ammyt....when I read about nitdroid I couldn't beleive that it was possible to boot 2 OS on one phone!! nice work man

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
You seriously need to do some reading, seriously.
iOS is closed source.
Flashing your device will wipe it clean of everything and return it to the stockiest stocky stock way it cam when you first had bought it.

Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
You seriously need to do some reading, seriously.
iOS is closed source.
Flashing your device will wipe it clean of everything and return it to the stockiest stocky stock way it cam when you first had bought it.
yeah I need much of reading .... that's what am doing ... am so new here and I am trying to learn as much as I can for my n900...

Ok, you didn't get my point... I understand that it will return my phone to the stock form... that's why I will do a backup... yet my question is does the backup include the msn conversations?

What I meant in the previous post is that when I am doing a backup to my phone there is an options that says : "Conversations and Calender"...ok if I click on this option, will it also backup my msn pecan and haize conversations? or it will only backup the SMSs?

I am asking this question because I don't want to lose my msn conversations after reflashing my phone because they are so important for me...

Besides, guys I don't have the CSSU (neither the testing nor the stable)...so now I decide to install the CSSU stable.But, also I want to install NITdroid. So, when I do a reflash...should I install NITdroid first and then CSSU ?or it doesn't matter which one do I install first?

Again, thanks for you guys for any answer for these 2 questions

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My advice is that you put off installing Nitdroid as long as possible. You don't need it; it won't give you a better device; and it can get you in a lot of trouble.

As far as backups go -- there are two backup programs, Backup and Backupmenu. The first comes from Nokia; the last is better, faster, easier, and more complete. (I personally use both, but when it comes to restoration, I almost always rely on Backupmenu.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My advice is that you put off installing Nitdroid as long as possible. You don't need it; it won't give you a better device; and it can get you in a lot of trouble.

As far as backups go -- there are two backup programs, Backup and Backupmenu. The first comes from Nokia; the last is better, faster, easier, and more complete. (I personally use both, but when it comes to restoration, I almost always rely on Backupmenu.)
Aha ... maybe you are right ... especially that I am a new user...
However, where can I get Backupmenu?from maemo.org?
And will "Backupmenu" save the msn conversations?

Besides, pal do you advice me to install CSSU as being a new user?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, Backupmenu saves everything. You get it from the extras-devel repository, which is available to all users.

CSSU has a "stable" version now, so it should work fine for you. I don't think it is essential, frankly, but it is safe. If you pine for programs to switch from horizontal to vertical display, CSSU is the way to go. It was never particularly dangerous even before it became stable, in my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
use youtube to see applications running on N900 eg CSSU, before installing.

I have never installed it, never need portrait mode.
If your going to add random apps to your phone, either get another phone and use the N900 as a hacking device, because you'll be restoring a lot.

And you google,youtube first.. ask a question here as a last resort.. and you'll be a master one day!

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yes, Backupmenu saves everything. You get it from the extras-devel repository, which is available to all users.

CSSU has a "stable" version now, so it should work fine for you. I don't think it is essential, frankly, but it is safe. If you pine for programs to switch from horizontal to vertical display, CSSU is the way to go. It was never particularly dangerous even before it became stable, in my experience.
Great, then i'll download cssu stable for now.

However, when I got to download "Backupmenu" from the applications manager a message is appearing that says : "APPLICATION LIST PARTIALLY REFRESHED.SOME CATALOGUES UNAVAILABLE.CHECK CATALOGUE DETAILS"

And when I go to check catalogue details the failed catalogues are : Maemo extras-devel, Mozilla multi beta catalog, and Mozilla multi catalog. So, backupmenu is not appearing in the list to download.

On the other hand, when I go to "faster application manager", backupmenu is present , but when I try to download it the following message appears : "Some of your packages have unmet dependencies which could not be fixed".

So, by this I can't download backupmenu and so many applications.

Have any idea what is going wrong?

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
use youtube to see applications running on N900 eg CSSU, before installing.

I have never installed it, never need portrait mode.
If your going to add random apps to your phone, either get another phone and use the N900 as a hacking device, because you'll be restoring a lot.

And you google,youtube first.. ask a question here as a last resort.. and you'll be a master one day!
Yes you are right youtube always made it easier for me.
As for bringing another phone than n900 ...I find it unlikely because I still hadn't got bored from it ... I've seen so many new phones but still enjoy n900 a lot.

Thanks for the advice man