Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Good news. How would I retrieve that?
It should be together with with other logs in the "Logs" section in the Tracklogs menu.

BTW, I will be moving the N900-default tracklog folder from the current /opt/modrana/tracklogs to something like modRana_tracklogs in MyDocs in a near release. I'll add migration code to the installation scripts so it should be quite seamless.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Quick feedback on new map rotation feature: I gave this a try yesterday (while walking). The map appears to rotate well according to direction of travel (even at a fast walking speed) - however the route I was following got a bit confused - it didn't seem to be rotated by the correct amount to keep it aligned with the actual road I was on. I only tried briefly, so I'm not sure whether the route (a) rotated, but by an incorrect amount or (b) didn't rotate at all. Once I switched back to fixed map orientation, the route immediately realignd.

The good news is that I gave the "rerouting" a pretty good workout, and it performed flawlessly (and the x2 map zoom made me very happy!!).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

As a bicycle user, I'd like to use modrana when riding, in order
either to keep the route and to check the speed. The latter is
an issue, because:

1. The speed value isn't correct. The ratio between the value
detected by the speed meter of my car and the one displayed by
modrana is about 1.8.

2. The speed is displayed only in the "bicycle" mode. Even if it
is OK when I'm running my bicycle, it should be useful to be able
to read the speed in the other modes, too.

3. The map would be more readable if I could switch off the blue
boxes "activate a track to show route profile" and "activate a
track to show rem. length", as in all the other modes (which,
on the other hand, don't show the speed).

Last, but not the least, I want to thank Martin for his wonderful
job: congratulations!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cirodv For This Useful Post:
Last night i decided that i wanted to cash the map tiles for the area around where i live. I told it to go 2 up and 2 down in a 10km area. It said it needed ~24,000 tiles. I then "click to calculate disk space needed" and it said it would take somewhere around 60mb. It was going slow and so i let it sit overnight to download. This morning my /.maps folder is 1.8gigs. This is just slightly more than the 60mb i was expecting. And that's not even for that many zoom levels or a very large area.

I'm kinda of glad i didn't tell it to download the max up and down in the 160km radius i wanted, as that told me it needed 1.4 million tiles. Based on the size of my directory that would have put it at a 104GB download just for the 2 up and 2 down, let alone with max. For some reason this doesn't sound right, as maps for the entire world for ovi maps doesn't even take that much space. Actually, for 1.8 gigs i could have downloaded the whole western US, not just the 6 mile area around my house.

Any suggestions how how to fix this disk space issue, as i would like to get a 160km radius, would be great.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by ThePooBurner View Post
Last night i decided that i wanted to cash the map tiles for the area around where i live. I told it to go 2 up and 2 down in a 10km area. It said it needed ~24,000 tiles. I then "click to calculate disk space needed" and it said it would take somewhere around 60mb. It was going slow and so i let it sit overnight to download. This morning my /.maps folder is 1.8gigs. This is just slightly more than the 60mb i was expecting. And that's not even for that many zoom levels or a very large area.

I'm kinda of glad i didn't tell it to download the max up and down in the 160km radius i wanted, as that told me it needed 1.4 million tiles. Based on the size of my directory that would have put it at a 104GB download just for the 2 up and 2 down, let alone with max. For some reason this doesn't sound right, as maps for the entire world for ovi maps doesn't even take that much space. Actually, for 1.8 gigs i could have downloaded the whole western US, not just the 6 mile area around my house.

Any suggestions how how to fix this disk space issue, as i would like to get a 160km radius, would be great.
I hope you didn't tell yourself "It's 60MB i'll use 3g"
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Oh, and some quick feed back:

1) I love the app. however i would really like it if when i pressed the menu and gui buttons it didn't take me off of centered map mode and make the map stop moving with me. Kind of annoying to hit "Reroute" and then have to hit the center button again.

2) When i hit reroute when i am on the highway, it puts the start point as where i was when i hit the button, but it doesn't count me as having arrived there, and thus starts counting UP in miles till i reach my point (because i am driving away from the point it wants me to be at). So i have to wait till i am closer to what the next step would be and then i have to restart the navigation "at the closest step" in order for it to start giving me proper directions again. I even tried setting it to 500m "reach distance" to see if it would count me as having reached, but because i am moving away from it to start it never considers me having arrived.

3) It would be great if i could turn of those "activate a track" dialogs. It would also be great if they were themselves buttons that could be pressed that would do what they say on them, and would then make them disappear and leave just a small button in a corner somewhere that said "stop" to stop the track.

4) Actually, it would be really handy to have a "start/stop a track" button on the main screen. It would be a great replacement for the full screen button (and the full screen button could be moved to the "title bar" menu (as in i click on "modRana" at the top and a menu drops down from the top giving the full screen option. Then perhaps just have a shortcut key that restores it).

5) A list of the current short cut keys accessable from the menu would be geat. Like a "Help/About" button right next to "log a track" in the main menu would be a great addition.

6) I would love to be able to change the time display to 12H time instead of 24 hour time.

7) I would love to be able to change the color of the text on the navigation read out. With the current color scheme i have to get about 4" from the screen to read the mile count to the next point.

8) It would be awesome if the map was on top of the route and tracking lines. That way if i want to look ahead on the map for the names of the upcoming roads/highways i can tell what they actually are. As it is the dark blue route line covers all the names of the roads.

9) Is there a way to get a text read out of the turn by turn? This would help alleviate some of the annoyance of #8.

10) If there is any way to boost the frame rate that would be awesome.

Thanks for all the hard work your doing on this. I love the app and the espeak integration for the turn by turn. The loads of features is awesome. Great job

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Any suggestions how how to fix this disk space issue
I'm sure this issue is mentioned earlier in this thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster

.. For some reason this doesn't sound right, as maps for the entire world for ovi maps doesn't even take that much space.
Ovi maps uses a vector format whereas modRana uses bitmaps. The former is generally a lot more space efficient.

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I hope you didn't tell yourself "It's 60MB i'll use 3g"
Haha, no i was hooked to my home wifi, thank goodness. I have unlimted 3G (already at 3.9gigs for the months and still have 2 weeks left before the reset), but i doubt it would have even finished by morning had i done that.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
I'm sure this issue is mentioned earlier in this thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster

Ovi maps uses a vector format whereas modRana uses bitmaps. The former is generally a lot more space efficient.
I was looking through the folders and it looked like they were mostly .png and .jpg. But still, it gave one estimate and the result was much different.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I was looking through the folders and it looked like they were mostly .png and .jpg. But still, it gave one estimate and the result was much different.
This thread has a clearer explanation of the cause of this issue. HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps