I've had my N800 for a few years now, but I've always used webmail on it so never setup the email client. I'd like to do that now for my work email, but I have a few basic questions that I want to confirm first.

1) I'm running Diablo, does this mean that the default email client is Modest? Is Claws the only other real option, or are there others I should look at?

2) I'd like to use this for work email, but my understanding is there is no Diablo client that will export Exchange? We also have IMAP support enabled, so I should be able to use that if needed, but that is a lot more limited in what I can access.

3) For IMAP how does the email fetching work is it push or pull? And will leaving the mail client running pretty much all the time eat up the battery?

I know these devices are not meant to be used as a PIM, but I'm hoping I can use it that way as best as I can for a few months until a better option comes along.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
First a word of warning: although I have configured my N810 for email, I almost never use it for email (except for mutt over ssh). My answers are "as far as I know" and not neccessarily absolute facts.

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
1) I'm running Diablo, does this mean that the default email client is Modest? Is Claws the only other real option, or are there others I should look at?
Yes. Diablo comes with Modest. Also, Claws is the only option I've heard of.

Be warned that although Modest lets you to set maximum number of emails it fetches at once, this limit may or may not have any effect. For example, if you configure email with GMail, Modest will happily fetch the latest 1000 emails for you. The UI clearly isn't designed for this, but once it managed to render the view, it works surprisingly well without slowing down too much. If you can configure fetch limit at server side (e.g. with user+l50@example.com or such), that'll help a lot. Google used to offer this but I can't seem to find the details.

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
3) For IMAP how does the email fetching work is it push or pull? And will leaving the mail client running pretty much all the time eat up the battery?
System email client (Modest) uses alarmd (which has some resemblance to cron) to pull emails in the background at user-defined interval. Email client doesn't need to running for this to happen. Naturally this will drain the battery, but whether or not there's any significat difference depends on your typical usage.

Thanks, good to know about the fetch amounts. I am a little worried about having to use it with IMAP, as my .ost file is a bit big. I'd prefer a situation where I could just have my most recent email on the Nokia, but I don't know how to configure IMAP to do that.

Good to know that the client doesn't have to be running to pull email.