Active Topics

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Having surfed for a while now with the new userContent.css and prefs.js settings, I really like them. I'm most amazed that they play extremely well with Fit View to Width -- I use that as my default and everything fits very legibly within the width of the screen, and it doesn't stall out the browser anymore. That is, there appear to be no problems!

The page often renders in a way other than the designer intended. Specifically, frames (is that the right word? chunks of the webpage, like columns) often get lined up one below the other instead of side-by-side. (See, for example, the Homepage of The New York Times.) Usually, I find that a worthwhile trade-off.

What would be nice is if there were an easy way to toggle those settings on and off, switching at will to the original browser settings for userContent.css and prefs.js. (I've kept copies of both original files, but manually switching them out isn't "easy".) Or switching between two different modified sets of those files. Does anybody have the skills to create that option? Are the Brontide changes something that could be used inside a Greasemonkey script and thereby toggled between "Enabled" and "Disabled"?

Also, I pretty much like the enlarged link targets, but sometimes they seem too large and, in a crowded field of links, I find that the link "next door" gets activated instead of the one I was tapping on.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Also, I pretty much like the enlarged link targets, but sometimes they seem too large and, in a crowded field of links, I find that the link "next door" gets activated instead of the one I was tapping on.
It's a fine tradeoff... and unfortunately MicroB doesn't have smart enlarging of link targets. The other item is that later target areas that overlap "win" so to speak. I've been playing with some more advanced css for trying to be "smarter" about links close to each other, but the more I put in the worse it seems to perform in general.

For the overlapping links I found the following is a bit more conservative but still finger-friendly:

/* Make links bigger by default, can still be overridden by pages */
a { padding: 0.5em; margin: -.4em; }

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Here is some of my latest stuff. The input css stuff seems pretty stable, all it does is increase the minimum size of the elements so that they can be easily selected and manipulated with a finger.

It's still a fine tradeoff between reducing the impact the border has on the layout of the page and overlapping links where one might be hard to select. Really what I need is css math so that I can enlarge links based on it's volume.

Code:
/* this is what I'm using now... using the psudeo elements seems to create fewer conflicts with site css files, salt to taste */
a:link, a:visited { padding: 5px; margin: -1px }

/* make all sorts of input fields more finger friendly by banishing small textareas, checkboxes, and radiobuttons  */
input { min-height: 18px ! important }
input[type="checkbox"], input[type="radio"] { min-width: 20px ! important; min-height: 20px ! important; margin: 5px 10px 5px 15px !important }

Last edited by brontide; 2008-04-09 at 02:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Still one of the more useful threads. Here's an example of my latest attempt to take control of the tmo experience:

Code:
img[alt="lucas777's Avatar"] { display: none ! important }