Active Topics

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Yes, for long. "announced" is not "in production".
Well, strictly speaking Intel isn't shipping 32nm medfield yet either. They may have a lead, but I'd be very surprised if it's more than a few months. Meanwhile the ARM side isn't standing still, they're already working on 14nm.

Read the beyond 3d article.
I did, it doesn't seem to share your optimism ("It is conceivable that Atom on 32nm could get very close to the power efficiency of competing 40nm ARM processors").

CISC can *sometimes* do more in a cycle than RISC.
I was referring specifically to the crippled IA32 ISA. Things are a lot better in long mode, or even "x32abi". The Atom implementation in particular (lacking out-of-order) seems to be outperformed by the competition even in x86 space.

But anyway, if they manage to produce something that can idle for a week or more on a ~1.5Ah cell I won't complain ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Yeah I'm just saying Intel probably won't have any surpirse delays, since they're shipping 32nm desktop chips just fine for the last year. These other fabs / foundries are having issues with 32nm and they just skipped it, although it might have been just to save money and not a technical problem...
I'd say this is fairly optimistic, to say that it could get close in the efficiency. At least when compared to the general opinion that no, they can't get close. Intel also had some advantage called "dual patterning lithography", that should allow them to have a bit more "feature detail" on the chip. Anyways, they've been talking up medfield enough, I don't think they could lie about it. It's not like some software you can patch later, or hide the problems. They already know what targets they need to hit, and I'm sure they had a good plan of how to do it. Intel isn't perfect, but they always bounce back. If moorsetown was a miss, medfield should be a hit.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
I can't help, but meego seems a lot more startup friendly as any other mobile os.

http://armdevices.net/2011/02/16/mee...escale-i-mx51/

Perhaps we will see more devices from small companies? Which IMHO would be a great thing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I'd buy device from small company as long they provide better future support than Nokia and smaller company usually design their devices on customer preferences bring it on the MeEGO.

I really hope it's HTC. Imo, HTC provides the best phones design wise and the specs are fantastic on most. I'd also call the phone HTC Thrust, Just saying.

The Following User Says Thank You to OwenIsMeeGo For This Useful Post:

Tags
elop is an as*, elop rapes cows, gerbick stop, trolling