Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
T-Mobile USA no longer offers service contacts. Everything is month to month.
yea I was amazed that they did this, Im sure it will bring them alot of users

Hmmm I am on AT&T and have had no issue yet. Still on my grandfathered plan.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
T-Mobile USA no longer offers service contacts. Everything is month to month.
Not entirely true. They do offer service contracts, it's just bundled/pitched a different way. You can in fact get a phone up-front without a high cost with a contract. They have to offer that, or they'd get no new customers since the US market is used to having subsidized phone.

The only real difference is that you can get an unsubsidized plan that's not pre-paid. (Though the pre-paid plans still tend to be a better deal, with more options, if you're not in a shared/family plan.)

FWIW: In a few many major cities now, T-Mobile is updating their towers and providing some 3G service in the 1900 bands used by AT&T in the past. N9 users in those markets could switch to T-Mobile and still keep 3G. A friend of mine just got an unlocked P7000 and it's getting 3G on T-Mobil service, despite it being an AT&T branded/banded phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I also heard that you pay for receiving calls in the US. Is that the case or is it a thing of the past?
It's mostly a thing of the past, but that's mostly because more customers have unlimited voice plans or at least very large allotments of talk time. Those customers with limited voice plans do in fact still pay (or have minutes deducted from their allotment) for incoming calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Not entirely true. They do offer service contracts, it's just bundled/pitched a different way. You can in fact get a phone up-front without a high cost with a contract. They have to offer that, or they'd get no new customers since the US market is used to having subsidized phone.
You can get a phone with very little up front and simply pay off the remainder of the cost of the phone over a two year period. HOWEVER, if you pay off the phone before that period, the 'contract' is null and void. Phone cost is 100% paid by the consumer now. No discount and no subsidizing whatsoever.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
T-Mobile is updating their towers and providing some 3G service in the 1900 bands used by AT&T in the past. N9 users in those markets could switch to T-Mobile and still keep 3G.
Yes, but technically, since the N9 has pentaband HSDPA with both the 1900 and AWS 3G bands, it shouldn't matter in markets where T-mobile already has good AWS coveage...

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
I already get 3G with T-Mobile on my N9 as well. (shows as 3.5, but whatever).

But as for the topic, I know when I log into my T-Mobile account, the N900 was detected and showed, but the N9 never has. I thought that's what it was talking about, that AT&T actually showed the N9 on their page. I wonder if Jolla phones will show up at all on them...

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I already get 3G with T-Mobile on my N9 as well. (shows as 3.5, but whatever).

But as for the topic, I know when I log into my T-Mobile account, the N900 was detected and showed, but the N9 never has. I thought that's what it was talking about, that AT&T actually showed the N9 on their page. I wonder if Jolla phones will show up at all on them...

slaapliedje
T-Mobile sold the N900 in the U.S. so it makes sense that they can recognize it in their system. The N9 on AT&T being recognized however intrigues me. I do have an N9 and am using AT&T but I have pulled my sim from it last weekend and started re-using the N900 again.

OP, out of curiosity, how much data do you normally use?

Originally Posted by whayong View Post
T-Mobile sold the N900 in the U.S. so it makes sense that they can recognize it in their system. The N9 on AT&T being recognized however intrigues me. I do have an N9 and am using AT&T but I have pulled my sim from it last weekend and started re-using the N900 again.

OP, out of curiosity, how much data do you normally use?
Lol this month around 500mbs. I got my N9 in January, Jan-Aug I was using

around 40 GB's a month more or less

I average about 2-3GB a month on my data plan with AT&T. Still haven't seen anything happen with my grandfathered plan. I'll post here if I do.

My next stop will probably be T-mobile as it will be cheaper than paying for AT&T.