Active Topics

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Sorry for asking without going through the whole thread, anyway N9 users will benefit from this?
a possible successor to N9, possibly hacked kernel to dual boot into new MeeGo

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
a possible successor to N9, possibly hacked kernel to dual boot into new MeeGo
Also probably more Qt applications that may then be ported for N9.

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I just hope that they can make the closed bits good enough so that we don't need to complain about those. And open parts open enough so that community can fix them if needed.
I think so far nothing was even said about their balance of closed vs open parts. Let's hope there will be as little closed parts as possible. Especially in the UX area. Closed drivers can be probably expected (it's just close to impossible to get open drivers from the manufacturers). But having open UX will ensure that this system will live on. Closed ones (like Harmattan) just die out, when the company can't develop it anymore for whatever reason.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-12 at 21:02.

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Also probably more Qt applications that may then be ported for N9.
I'm pretty confident that current MeeGo apps won't be so hard to port to new MeeGo

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
There are thousands of useful example acitivities in background which can't run on iOS. Millions of users have great number of different needs.

One popular one : try to download using Torrent on iOS. There is no Torrent client without Cydia...
Torrenting is a great example of something I positively do not want to do when on battery power and hoping to rely on my phone to get past the day.

This is why I suggested a dual mode. Smartphones today are very close to being powerful enough that they can begin to replace our laptops. So why not? A phone that operates with a dual mode: full on desktop type machine when connected to power and external display. Then with practical limits for when it is on battery power (which you can turn off, if you know what you're doing). These limits are worth having as the default setup as it's the kind of thing most people would rather not think of. The limits then help (as they do on iOS) to manage battery life and, to some extent, memory usage.

It requires some rethinking of how to build apps and their UIs for dual operation, but Qt has everything there to make it possible (so does iOS/OSX, for that matter — Android doesn't really). Besides, almost all good apps these days have to consider that duality anyway. Now they're just released as two separate applications.

It's the device I've been talking about for the past couple of years. Motorola had an early experiment on those lines, but it was quite limited. It could be that the time is right for Jolla to now do it.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I think so far nothing was even said about their balance of closed vs open parts. Let's hope there will be as little closed parts as possible. Especially in the UX area. Closed drivers can be probably expected (it's just close to impossible to get open drivers from the manufacturers). But having open UX will ensure that this system will live on. Closed ones (like Harmattan) just die out, when the company can't develop it anymore for whatever reason.
it's actually something i talked to my Lecturer about today, He's a proper all things open source guru. Has 10 raspberry pi's uses debian does not need a mouse, can watch movies in asci

i spoke to him about open source software and he was annoyed about a small part of raspberry pi Ethernet driver code being closed. "He said 99.9% of it is open and 0.1% is closed and i don't like that"

But look at this community, the N900 is such a hit, the mods, fixes, changes, physical amendments ...ect it's an open source toy you can have endless fun with.

Before N9 i knew nothing of this but now i am feeling moving away from Windows and M$ ********. I really want a truly open source phone.

Originally Posted by Setok View Post
Torrenting is a great example of something I positively do not want to do when on battery power and hoping to rely on my phone to get past the day.

This is why I suggested a dual mode. Smartphones today are very close to being powerful enough that they can begin to replace our laptops. So why not? A phone that operates with a dual mode: full on desktop type machine when connected to power and external display. Then with practical limits for when it is on battery power (which you can turn off, if you know what you're doing). These limits are worth having as the default setup as it's the kind of thing most people would rather not think of. The limits then help (as they do on iOS) to manage battery life and, to some extent, memory usage.

It requires some rethinking of how to build apps and their UIs for dual operation, but Qt has everything there to make it possible (so does iOS/OSX, for that matter — Android doesn't really). Besides, almost all good apps these days have to consider that duality anyway. Now they're just released as two separate applications.

It's the device I've been talking about for the past couple of years. Motorola had an early experiment on those lines, but it was quite limited. It could be that the time is right for Jolla to now do it.

Oh, the n900 has been able to do that for years now. We have easy debian which can run many of the desktop .deb programs that maemo can and also full desktop apps such as GIMP and Open office (and more).

The only limitation was RAM, yes we have to wait a little longer for open office to load but once it is up it runs fine. We also have BT HID input too with TVout.

It is a pretty nifty concept that would be great to have with Jolla.

Well since Nemo mobile has been working fine on the n9, and this is a long shot, but if jolla mobile is fully open it can be ported to the mer core

Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
...(Bada a failure, Android and Windows a hit),
Haha, Bada is a bigger hit than WP7. Sold more than WP& + windows Mobile combined.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
done that...elop is a part of nokia.
No, he isn't.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla