Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
I'm completely satisfied with my 770 and the 2006 operating system. It really does have lots of apps, many media players, text editors,paint programs,audio recorders, mapping software, book readers, messengers, calculators, and emulators. What more do you want
Sorry - I just want the LINUX based community to live up to the expectations. Everything I heard about the linux community was about how much they support all linux devices. As I've mentioned before:
OS2008 has moved on and left N770 users out
Maemo Mapper has moved on to updated version with no OS2007HE version
Canola has moved on with no N770 version
No N770 for KDE
All you have to do is look in the apps section and you will see more and more NEW apps and UPDATED apps leave the N770 out. Eventually some "Windows" minded person will tell me to upgrade my tablet (hmmmm, sounds like what happened when Windows was growing - just throw away your old computer because it can't run the new OS or apps anymore) but that wasn't what I thought Linux based was about.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
Sorry - I just want the LINUX based community to live up to the expectations. Everything I heard about the linux community was about how much they support all linux devices. As I've mentioned before:
No N770 for KDE
All you have to do is look in the apps section and you will see more and more NEW apps and UPDATED apps leave the N770 out. Eventually some "Windows" minded person will tell me to upgrade my tablet (hmmmm, sounds like what happened when Windows was growing - just throw away your old computer because it can't run the new OS or apps anymore) but that wasn't what I thought Linux based was about.
Good rant, but aimed at the wrong people. ITOS2008 is the responsibility of Nokia and Nokia alone and the main reason the programs you mention have left the 770 behind, is because the operating system isn't maintained to keep up with the new features of those programs.

Normally I'd agree that forced backwards compatibility is not a good thing, but common Nokia, the 770 is nigh on two years old, godsdammit! IBM continued to support OS/2 for almost ten years after they stopped even remembering what it was.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
Sorry - I just want the LINUX based community to live up to the expectations. Everything I heard about the linux community was about how much they support all linux devices.
I would rather say that the support is typical of the Linux community . You can do many things, but it requires some (sometimes quite advanced) knowledge of how things work under the hood.

No N770 for KDE
I have Maemo Mapper working on my 770 with OS2007HE thanks to someone in these forums.
If the people at the INdT are right, Canola 2 for OS2007HE is a matter of time, and if you are really desperate for it you could install Scratchbox and compile it yourself.

I can't say anything about KDE, although I think it would be a slooooow experience in a 770. But maybe Xfce not, who knows (I haven't tried it myself).

I do hope that Nokia will release or at least give enough support for a OS2008HE for the 770, but I will not hold my breath for it.

My own personal impression is that the 770 is going to become a nice "hacker on a budget project" and if you really want to follow the bleeding edge stuff you'll have to learn the underpinnings of the system and install Scratchbox (I am trying to get enough free space for that! ) so you can compile your own software. Other alternative would be Debian... (another thing I'm considering now, and probably more seriously if OS2008 truly leaves the 770 behind).

This is from a heavily Linux-base perspective (hacking is fun!); if you want it to "just work", I don't see good prospects for new software on the 770... (But I'm a n00b, here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt ).

Pablo B.

I bought a 770 for my wife as an ebook reader and we couldn't be happier.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ a northerner in the south
Originally Posted by racky View Post
770 - the forgotten tablet?? I don't feel that way at all.
I am using OS2006 on 770 on MMS, I have no big problem (other than the WSOD I had last month, but got my brand new replacement few day ago). Now I am using Orb to watch my cable TV on it, plus streaming the music, my webcam, movies and pictures from my computer, it is so good to have a 4 inch TV in your pocket all the time. I am also using Grandcental and Gimzo to make free call to landlines, planning to use it to call my girlfriend during my vacation when I am in Asian in 2 weeks. Browsing the Internet is Ok, but not perfect only because some web sites use a lot of pictures and flash 9. I have installed OS2007HE on flash for a few days for dual boot, it might be better . I also installed Xmamo to play the old NES games. and Canola 1 to watch movies, play music and pictures on my 2G MMS card. The more I use it, the more I love it. Now I am just afraid the battery doesn't last me long enough from the whole day use.
how do you stream your tv using orb?

Originally Posted by wavefinder View Post
how do you stream your tv using orb?
I have a TV card and Window XP Media Center, and installed Ffdshow(free software) to decode the signal, and installed Orb 2.0(www.orb.com), these are all you need, and you must have, and of course a wireless internet router. I just got it working for a few days and I can tell you the result is excellent. Now I put a magic tape on the back of the hard cover of my old WSOD left over and stick it on the wall of my kitchen, bedroom, bathroom or any place in my house and never miss a show again. I haven't have a chance to try it outside my house yet, I will try it out this weekend if I can find a good WIFI signal somewhere.

Last edited by racky; 2008-01-19 at 14:32.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
ya like what, that it can run flash....big deal!
Seriously . . . have you used an N800? I've put tons of hours into both my 770 and my N800 since both of their release dates, the N800 is lightyears ahead of the 770 in speed and, thus, general usability.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
N800 is at least 2 times faster. Maybe even 3.

That said, N770 is not for the gadget graveyard yet. Nokia won't support it anymore though, so the community is on its own (Nokia is not a linux community you see). There will be at least one 2008HE, or at least that is promised.

Canola2 needs only a media scanner to work on the 770 (no inotify in the old kernel). Hell, i can even run it now, but without media scanner it won't be of much use.

Maemo mapper 2.3 is working on HE without any problem.

770 here and Os2007HE, i skipped the N800 not for $ but because I didn't really like the design. it was too.......chick....I don't know, but I didn't care for it. Anyway, now I am ready to get the N810, I like the design there. Especially the transflective screen.
-ezra

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@dburr10085:

You seem to be misunderstanding the situation a little, so let me clear some things up for you:
1. It's not just a matter of "recompiling" apps that work on the N800/N810 to make them work on the 770. It's a matter of hours of rewriting code to make them work with outdated software, for each version released.
2. Because of the fact that Nokia hasn't released source code for all of IT200xOS it's very difficult for anyone but Nokia to make new IT200xOS releases. If you want IT2008OS it's going to come from Nokia.
3. 2 years *is* considered a fairly short lifetime for a device running Linux. Some clever people *are* working on getting new software releases on the 770, such as the guy on this forum who has Debian running, and OE/Angstrom guys who have at least put together the start of an alternative Linux distribution.
4. That being said, the "Linux community" doesn't *owe* you software for free. The "freedom" of Linux comes from being able to do whatever you want with the source code. Want more applications for the 770? Then why not try to make that happen yourself? And yes, I'm aware that you said that you don't know Linux very well and that it's over your head. Maybe you could try and learn? None of us were born with Linux experience. We all spent the time to learn it. Excuse me for saying so but it seems somewhat hypocritical to come down on the Linux community for not "supporting" the 770, when you aren't willing to make the effort to learn some Linux and meet them halfway.

Just my 2 cents.

-John