Active Topics

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Nik1 View Post
Any webpages or dates you can give us on when the new fw and skype will be released.
From a meeting with NDA's signed?

Sure.

Skype should be here by the summer.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Is there any hope for us poor 770 users to use skype on OS2007 hacker ed., at least for the chat? That would be a great improvement, despite having to rely on chat only because of the low perfrmance of 770's CPU

Omar

I can not say as I do not know. To be honest, the 770 was not discussed. I was only concerned with the N800. Nokia does know that the 770 was the precursor to the N800 which will be replaced by something else.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Skype should be here by the summer.
Ok. So there is still some time to wait..

First when I readed your message I think that it might come next week or week after it..

Originally Posted by Xyzo View Post
FYI Gizmo let you use any SIP account through the second account facility, which is quite useful. My ISP (see free.fr) provides me with a free SIP account with which I can call any landline for free nearly all over the world :-) And I can also be called from any "normal" phone. Cool :-)
Yes, but the SIP still have to go through gizmo's network which makes internal asterisk's rather useless (or less usefull). Ekiga for instance can connect directly to the SIP phone/service.

For me Gizmo seems just like all the other proprietary VOIP services like Skype.

Edit:
Seems like there have already been made some effort of getting ekiga working :
http://n770.herraiz.org/archives/27

Last edited by Lithorus; 2007-04-05 at 22:46.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
If this was all under NDA, why are you posting about it?!

Actually, Skype and improved multi-media is in the mid-term roadmap Ari published in February, and Skype has been a Q2-ish delivery since launch.

Good to know that Nokia realise the Internet Tablets need to become more consumer-friendly, but this won't be achieved by consolidating a few repositories. Plenty of other rough edges need smoothing out too.

As for the inclusion of mobile phone functionality in the N800 - it's not FCC certification, it's certification in every country where the N800 is launched. This significantly increases time to market. Also, I'm not too sure I'd want the N800 as my phone as it's way too big - I much prefer the N800 as my mobile computing device which I can sometimes leave at home when I don't need it or store in my coat pocket, and I have a small phone which I carry with me everywhere in my trouser pocket.

Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
Ok. So there is still some time to wait..

First when I readed your message I think that it might come next week or week after it..
Moi Mika,

Sorry dude.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
If this was all under NDA, why are you posting about it?!

Actually, Skype and improved multi-media is in the mid-term roadmap Ari published in February, and Skype has been a Q2-ish delivery since launch.

Put me back on Ignore please and don't address me again.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Any news on when Nokia will release a newer (working) version of "Nokia internet call invitation" ? Also, will skype support video calls by any chance?

Like I said, I think, it was pretty informal. Nokia gave info but much was superficial, some was deeper. The stuff I am mentioning here, should become public shortly. I will not get into the "few" debate that went on a while back. I have no dates and if I did, I could not give them to you. However, there should be some good things coming soon (abstract as I can be). This makes me want to keep my N800 even more. So, if I am happy with it, you as a longer time user should be even happier.