Notices

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Great, I agree with mehdiE, use the KISS principle

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by TomppaS View Post
Ok, heres the current progress of MultiTimer:
Somehow that image made me expect that there's a Jack Bauer included in the app. Should you run into trouble, he's gonna unbrick your phone in under 24 hours.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
What about adding a feature in the Countdown Timer to be able to have some pre-set times? Then you could have "Next" button to start the next time. I hope I was able to explain what I had in mind.

Anyway a really big thank you for the application. I really was hoping to have a countdown timer for the N900. Now if only I would receive my device during my life time...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
12-hour option, too, please.
It's on the to-do list.

Originally Posted by freppas View Post
Really good-looking app!

Two thoughts:

1. display stopped lap time on the side for people who use it when running.

2. Maybe try integrating it with eCoach so I could save best times etc.
1. Yeah, it will show lap times.
2. Not sure how easy this kind of integration would be...

Originally Posted by thorbo View Post
It would also be a super feature if you could have an option where the countdown timer could count up when it hits zero, this would appeal to a community of Thermal Duration glider types, etc. Old timex watches would do this kind of thing, but I don't seem to use watches much anymore.

Thanks, Thor
I might add this but it's not very important feature at the moment.

Originally Posted by mehdiE View Post
Looks great - and a simple countdown timer is one of the app I miss the most on the N900.

My only suggestion: keep it as simple as it can possibly be, get it out there and then add more features / improvements based on real usage feedback.
Yeah, I'm enforcing the KISS principle. Important barebone features first, and after that I'll see if there are any really good suggestions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomppaS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Not sure where you guys are at with your development but I was planning on rolling these features in as updates/upgrades to Flipclock. There's an existing code structure and them-ing system in place there that would allow this type of functionality very easily, but I don't want to go treading on your toes!

So here's my question to both you guys as devels, and to the Maemo community in general... are these two apps separate enough and serving separate enough purposes to be left alone, or should we be pooling our efforts so that users only need to worry about "one really good general purpose" time application rather than "a clock for alarms, a clock for count downs, a clock of X", etc? Whatever makes the most sense I'll get on board with, but it does seem a bit silly to have us developing two different apps that are visually similiar and using two different code bases to do similiar time-related functionality.

Flip is more than mature enough to handle this functionality with a few extra UI controls, but if the consensus is that having a separate, simple timer app makes more sense then I'll leave Flip as a clock/alarm clock and recommend your app to anyone looking for a timer. (I could also use a good designer to give me a hand with additional themes/UI appearance of Flip if anyone out there is interested ;-) ).

I love open source, but the biggest problem with most distros is that there are too many overlapping applications without any justification, and for Maemo this seems like something that we should at least do our best to minimize so that developers can focus on new and unexplored user needs... my thoughts anyways :-)

Thanks!

Last edited by jolouis; 2009-11-29 at 20:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
In my opinion they both could survive either way. Together or loose. But, as mentioned above, to not get 100000 apps where 30 do the same thing one way or another, work together to create the ultimate version of what it can be!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Quindor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Hi jolouis!

Pretty nice app you have there! Too bad it'd be very hard for me to contribute to it since you know, it's not easy for 2 programmers to co-operate and marge their codebases.

I think you are free to what ever you want, add the fuctionality in your app or don't do it. Still, perhaps some n8x0 users want to have a timer and a stopwatch in FlipClock, who knows? You still should remember that your app is actually duplicating functionality of Maemo 5

But yeah, I think that if someone wants and alarm clock, they'll get an alarm clock. If someone wants a timer, they'll get a timer. See Nero Burning ROM that got more and more bloated of useless stuff no-one used, for an extreme example.

The goal of my app is to make a very lightweight application that conforms to Maemo user interface guidelines. Porting it to Maemo 4 would probably be pretty hard since it has a stylys centric user interface.

I think there is a plenty place for both of our programs

No hard feelings

The Following User Says Thank You to TomppaS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Just agreeing with Sasler that pre-sets for the countdown timer are important. Maybe some buttons along the bottom that the user can set for his/her "favorite" amounts of time.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hey TomppaS!

Yea I hear you, I did some more thinking last night and realized that some of what I was saying didn't make any sense! And of course you're right it's too hard to merge projects at this stage of the game, plus have to make compromises on the way we both approach things. You've got a pretty cool little app going on here, so keep on trucking with it and if you need a hand with any extra coding or projects in the future just drop me a line!

"Feature creep" is definitely not a good thing, but I think there's a big difference between something like "Add a timer to a clock app", and "add a calendar, email intergration, high powered random noise generator, and quantum theory calculator to a clock app" ;-) Have to know when to draw the line right? ;-)

You still should remember that your app is actually duplicating functionality of Maemo
That one I don't agree with at all unless the Alarm interface on the N900 is vastly different from the SDK; Maemo 5 has made a lot of improvements to the alarm app but certainly leaves some things to be desired. Anyways, your app looks pretty cool and hope it helps you get on track for figuring out lots of cool other finger-oriented Maemo apps to build down the road, as Flip has done for me!

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
so.....when can anyone expect this out???
looks really good

Tags
clock, countdown, stopwatch, timer