Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
The ability to add a point- ie landmarks would be great!
I never remember where the restaurant is that I read a review about is located. If I could read the review, add then a point on the map so when I turn on my GPS when I am in the area - voila there it is.

Maybe a proximity alarm too

+1 for landmark

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
ovi maps is so **** !!!
went into town today (manchester) decided to use ovi maps to locate my nearest hmv, it found it but my location was all wronge, and when asked for directions they were all wrong, when i said track me.... that didnt work either.
it took a while to set up and didnt work in the end anyway.
how poor. =(
what we need is a standard google maps app like the one the iphone has, somthing that makes it simple to get directions and follow them on a map, and fast

N900 APP REVIEW SITE IS NOW LIVE
http://maemoappreviews.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Anwarboy11; 2009-12-23 at 14:23.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Nokia has invested a lot in Ovi Maps. While it has lot of potential, it's not perfect. However, instead of trying to find an alternative product, why not give some suggestions on how it could be improved?

Please put only one idea per solution, this way each idea can be voted separately.

Brainstorm Link

Based on the amount of votes, I created a new brainstorm just for Turn by Turn Navigation.
To what are u referring exactly? In general people say that Ovi Maps 3.0 is not yet released for N900. So the rating would apply to the new version, right? Or does the 3 in 3.0 only refer to the maps and not the program?

On the other hand it looks like OVI maps needs a complete new team of developers, as what they offer now is completely useless and you honestly have to ask yourself who is responsible for that.
I actually do not see hope for OVI until a major new release. So I won`t vote till something comes up from which we actually can start from, the current position is indiscussible.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
I really hope that Nokia steps up their development efforts on the Ovi Maps front.

It is my single biggest complaint about my N900. I consider it completely useless in its current form, and I routinely have to make excuses or apologize about its functionality when people open it. I honestly wish I could uninstall it so that when I let people see my device they don't accidentally click on it...it is really that bad.

Anyway, instead of just complaining, I've been trying to start adding suggestions in the brainstorm. Would there be any possibility of this app opening up so the community could help out with the development effort?

One last thing, but is it just me or is the brainstorm servers running REALLY slowly? I'm getting timeouts relatively frequently.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsuggs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
OK, I made a new brainstorm for Turn by Turn Navigation. Here is the Talk Link and Brainstorm Link. Please vote for the proposal.
The "sub" brainstorm about Turn by Turn Navigation is not getting many votes. So maybe having a new brainstorm of each idea that gets many votes, is not that great idea after all.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Well, now put yourself in the position of Ovi Maps. Imagine that one of the 15 proposals is due next week and the other 14 are not even roadmapped. Should we resolve "Implemented" selecting only the one solution or should we leave the item open until, say 7 of the 15 eally different proposals are implemented?

In the meantime, imagine that Feature X proposed in Solution N is not implemented by Ovi Maps yet but there are several alternatives that implement it very well. Do we need to keep that part open because the solutions need to be around Ovi Maps or would users be happy just by getting the features from anybody now?

I believe some of the most voted "solutions" would deserve a brainstorm in its own. Turn by turn navigation is a good example.
What if there could be away to flag a solution instead of the entire brain storm "implemented"? This way people can still continue voting on the other solutions or add new ones.

Do you all realize how much money some of these would cost to implement?
"The revenue should come from advertisement" There aren't enough users to make this a viable source of revenue.

Who's going to vote no for any of these this is stupid. Of course we want more features, this applies to any application. Nokia and the maemo team know this. But putting up very obviously one sided polls doesn't solve anything. (If they did, I'd be making a poll on whether or not the community wants a fully functional PS3 emulator.)

The original post in this thread is exactly like those comments on iTunes "VOTE YES IF U THINK APPLE SHOULD GET THE BEATLES ON ITUNES", so incredibly short-sighted.

All these votes for specific things are not really helping now, the only thing they should do is make ovi maps on the N900 just as good as ovi maps 3.0. Thats jut the goal

and about revenue thats also simple, just do the same thing as on S60, i had a 3 year contract there. including sub contracts like City explorer. So they made money from me. And i would do the same for the N900 but they have to improve it because what we have no is just so bad...

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
For those wanting offline maps for the n900, you can do it.

http://handphone-solution.blogspot.c...0-without.html

That has instructions for S60, but it is the same for the N900, just find the correct location:
/cities/diskcache/

The Following User Says Thank You to canabal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
All these votes for specific things are not really helping now, the only thing they should do is make ovi maps on the N900 just as good as ovi maps 3.0. Thats jut the goal

and about revenue thats also simple, just do the same thing as on S60, i had a 3 year contract there. including sub contracts like City explorer. So they made money from me. And i would do the same for the N900 but they have to improve it because what we have no is just so bad...
I'm not familiar with Ovi Maps 3.0 or the S60. However I am very familiar with non-cell-phone handheld GPS devices such as Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx which works without any Internet or cell connections or contracts. All the functionality including turn-by-turn navigation is built into the device software. In my opinion, the goal would be to make the N900 work more like a Garmin and less like other cell phones.

Cell phone users seem too quick to give money up per minute, per call, per month. You shouldn't have to do that for a GPS and some maps. Garmin makes good money licensing maps (one-time) and for map upgrades/updates (every couple of years). Why can't Ovi Maps do the same?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
OVI Maps is a non-starter for people looking at my N900. The bottom line is that it needs to be competitive with Google Maps on the iPhone and Andoid platforms at the same price -- free -- or the N900 and Nokia will continue to be marginalized.

With devices like the TomTom XL340S with turn-by-turn directions, live map updates, and text-to-speech capabilities retailing at $100-120, there isn't a lot of room for a half-baked solution here, even if the N900 GPS problems (namely can't get a fix in any reasonably amount of time) can be resolved.