Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And that is supposed to be somehow better? Really?

I would take "an app" any time. For all I care, the "app" may well be a kernel module, as long as it is nicely wrapped and installable through the normal idiot-proof GUI.

Sincerely yours,
Joe Public

There you go. I rest my case.
I generally hate the term "app" very much. And I hate the attitude that "there's an app for that" even more.

I can also rest my case. Where do you want it buried? ahoy!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I generally hate the term "app" very much. And I hate the attitude that "there's an app for that" even more.
Well, tough. Joe Public hates the "just recompile the kernel" attitude. Make it a nice "app" (you can call it something else if you do not like the word), presented to you in a nice GUI and installable with a simple button press or he will walk away. There is another platform across the street that has that feature.

Like it or not, your attitude is THE reason why Linux is - and will always be, unless that attitude changes - a niche platform for the super-geeks. And, in extension, THE reason why we have no Linux devices. No manufacturer will ever seriously consider them because Joe Public is scared away.

You cannot have it both ways: whinge about the lack of devices AND about "apps" for everything. Choose one.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
As much as I hate the term 'app' I do support that something like this needs to be packaged/installable.

And even more as the provided kernel does not support the 'compile your module yourself'!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
As much as I hate the term 'app' I do support that something like this needs to be packaged/installable.

And even more as the provided kernel does not support the 'compile your module yourself'!
Yeah, there is generally no good reason functionality and features would have to be cryptic and hard to use. It generally just means either being lazy or general lack of time for a project.

While it's the right thing, that doesn't mean it is not hard - you need to a lot of effort to document it, do a good UI, handle all the use cases others might need to work, keep it running as the underlying system changes over time and fix all the inevitable feature and security bugs that creep out, possibly for quite a long time, while keeping the thing reasonably stable as seen from the outside.

So it's unfortunately understandable that developers release a "works-for-me" solution which has some pretty rough edges, just because they simply don't have the resources to smooth it all out themselves. But hey - open source, others can help as well! While not always working for this, I would argue progress is being made and we are moving forward on the user friendliness side.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@MartinK, convenient packaging and polishing up are two different things. Even "works for me" can be, and often is, delivered through package managers like Openrepos. That's all I asked for.

I also do not like "apps" for what is nothing more than a front end to a web service. That's what a browser is for, after all. Who needs 100 "apps" when one, called "a browser" would suffice? But calling something an "app" that you can install from a store (harbour, whatever) is much friendlier than calling it a "kernel module" that you have to compile yourself.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I do not like the term either.
Could I ask you a question about reset vectors?

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxfriend For This Useful Post:
Seems like no 2.2 this month

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Seems like no 2.2 this month
where did you get this nformation?

The Following User Says Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Still no EA and only 11 days left.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
We should get an update in May. Check out the slide 14: