Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
So am I to understand that ($1,111?) this is the new final price (trending up)? Or are we coming to conclusions based on an unofficial number that is a mixed of GDC-UG transfer, paypal, bank transfer and career pigeon?

So if we instead focus on unit tiers, could we basically flood the web tech sites with this project? Or is it too late? We need some better tier numbers, so if we are @ 423 donations how many now do we need to reduce the price by say 300 eur or 500 eur?

If PR is needed, then I could step up and help with some of the design. But ppl with social networks should be blasting the device attributes to all.

I never invasion that this would be cost old 1990's high pda cost Newton ($1,000), psion ($549), Sony MagicLink ($1100), even some window ce devices. But the truth is We Are The Cutting Edge and the 1st devices cost a ***** amount of money with no guarantee of any longevity. I'm not happy with this price change but perhaps we still have an opportunity to change our own cost by helping spread the word.

Btw, I original voted for 700 eur as my top price ... time to save more.

So is there still time?

x

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
990 euros = $1111 usd (for the board alone)... 1140 euros = $1279.37 usd...(for a finished device)
that figure is before any fees, taxes, vat, shipping, handling, duty, all-or-some of the above are applied.
And of course saying... there are no possible future increases in this base new estimate....

From what I savvy... as well...it is still an estimate...based on 2 things:

1- obvious seriously-committed donors/ downpayments at the initial 100 euros + more...
and...
2- fuzzy-appearing not-sure-if-some-are-committed donors/ down payments consisting of only the base 100 euros or less and haven't yet committed more. (Making it unclear whether the monies are a pure donation or are meant as a down payment for a device...yet..which could influence the course of the projected estimate up or down..possibly...)

Which..when put in a proper context means..."DON'T PANIC" .

All the people who haven't committed further yet than the initial 100 euro expectation but still want one (for a moment ..forget there is this new estimate revision at least for the moment) should still... at least ...I dunno..pipe-up here and "voice" they (still) want one...also with the shop opening shortly ...purchasing numbers reflecting committed movement will help..
certainty and reassurance always stabilize situations ...
it'll help get the "fuzzy uncertain" down payments as firm "yes" or "no" commitments..and so in turn stabilize the projected estimate and reign it in...

In other words...the more people who bail out because of the estimate..the more likely the estimate won't be an "estimate"...but fact"...

the more people who have committed that stay = the instability calms.

the more "fence-sitters" (100 euros or less) who commit = the new estimate should lessen..

the more new down payments/ purchasers come on board = the price goes down.

It's called holding your ground...and not bolting..

And yea xman I'm sure whatever conceivable possible methods to bring that price down would be welcomed I'm sure.

As far as timelines go...
Good question...
I imagine with this price estimate revision ...the more additional time customers have to dig deeper to come up with that much more would be welcome as well.
I'm sure some of us may not bat an eye..whereas other customers may need weeks, months, even a good half year to save enough to come up with the difference...

For what it's worth...
From me ..
100 euros at the start of all it all...
then after transferring that to the UG ...an additional 100 euros...
and not so long ago an additional 273 euros...
I'm seriously committed..
there's my voice..and I'm sure it isn't the only one.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-05-09 at 08:00.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
is there a way to pay per month «kidding of course » ? Because the final estimation is very high. Living in Canada as Endsormeans pointed it out...we have to expect taxes, vat, shipping fees «in sus» ! I did not buy another phone, waiting for the Neo but at this price.....better stick with my old n900 or take a new androphone! really I was ready to spend maxi 700$ or 100$ more but starting to 900$, it's psychologically impossible. And when it will be out, won't it be obsolete ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
the project was soooooo exciting! now I'm sooooooo wondering !!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
If you want more people to buy a Neo900 you have to target the kind of people who would be interested in it.

My opinion is that you shouldn't waist money on advertisement for the masses as the masses won't be interested in the Neo900.

If you want to get some advertisement targeting the right people I think somebody (official, like someone working on the Neo900) should contact Hak5 as they have a show talking about GNU/Linux, security, privacy and hacking and I think that their audience could be interested in the project.

Twitter
Facebook
Google +
Website

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I do not believe in wastin time or money period...
but sanity, reality and numbers dictate that taking aim at an elite savvy 1% ...
you'll be lucky to end up a fraction of that 1%.
Marketing any salable product ONLY to a very specialized marginal segment of society is not just madness it's suicide.

For example:
If I market a new vodka...which normally would sell to ...everyone..
but my new marketing strategy is to only aim my advertising campaign at mix-ologistic scientists who are (as far as I'm concerned) the only ones competent and capable enough to make drinks properly with it.. according to "my" thinking of what the general population of vodka consumer's intellect is capable of handling...

how many people...
how many sales are going to be generated?
It'll be catastrophic.

I'm not just speaking out of my hat here...there are similarities with what I do...
for example ...the neo info on the neo webpage ...states allll the cool things and abilities and functions which can be accomplished with said device...the applications are limited only by the imagination of the owner ...essentially.
Same goes for what I do...just in antler alone...the things that can be applied are virtually limitless.
Most folks narrowly think ..antler knife handle...only...or moose antler cribbage board....only.
Because that is the stereotype of the limit of what they've seen or understand.
Same goes for the neo and the smartphone market.
The limitations of android and iphone are apparent to us...
the average consumer does not realize they can have more...
it is up to us to explain that...not shut the door in their faces saying "It's beyond them"...or .."It's beyond their interests"...that's just stereotyping and making an elitist divisive "Us vs Them" mentality... that won't help sales and is truly working against the process of bringing people on board...needlessly.

If I let the consumers dictate on their limited understanding what I "should" do, "could" do or "can" do or "how" I should market a product..
because I assume they won't want it due to whatever I "think" that they are "thinking"...
or because I aim at a segment who I think are the "only" ones to "get" where I'm coming from..
I'd be shutting out pretty much everyone other than "God's chosen few"...and that is madness and suicide business-wise.
..I wouldn't make so many cool stuff out of it...I would be limited to cribbage boards and knife handles and I would lose out on 99% more potential sales in other areas as a consequence.
Fact is I make alllll kinds of jewelries, clasps, hasps, cases, inlays, embellishments, parts, toys, curios, etc...
the applications are endless...
and consequently I can aim at other segments of the buying public ..
I'm not limited to selling to a miniscule percentage of it.
And when the consumer sees the variety of application ..they also see that there is something for them as well...and that means more sales for me.

p.s. - Love HAK5

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-05-09 at 19:52.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
if we are @ 423 donations how many now do we need to reduce the price by say 300 eur or 500 eur?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...48&postcount=5

Tens of thousands, probably hundreds

The Following User Says Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:
The whole reason I didn't put money into this originally is it still whiffs of vaporware.

As soon as a couple ship, I will jump in...but not before that for all the reasons you stated.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
The best outcome I see here is maybe a short run of 100 devices with the originally planned spec. They may cost a fortune, but developers and reviewers would get their hands on those and that would likely reignite enthusiasm in the project. With continued interest and some more small donations I hope there would be a second run, and it might be known by then how to lower the unit price, if newer components come on the market or some unsuccessful features are cut out. Either way it seems worthwhile to me, if only for the open documentation and designs that are being produced along the way, which are likely helpful to other or future projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevenc For This Useful Post:
Good to hear that the project is moving forward.

I look forward to placing my order as soon as I receive my voucher.

Thank You for all your hard work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fidel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!