Hey everyone, I'm brand new here, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid one.

I'm looking at buying myself a new phone/tablet/pocket device, and while I know the n900 is 'old', it seems to be the only one out there running a real Linux (Honestly I'm so bored of Android!) So I was thinking of buying one.

Now, I know nothing of the n900, but I'm seeing lots of them on eBay/Amazon and their price range is all over the place!

Obviously cheaper sounds best (They're all n900s?) So is there something shifty going on with the massive price jumps? Are the cheap ones 'fake' in some way, or defective in another? What should I look out for when scouting out a device? I'm probably going to check eBay regularly as well as my local Cash Generators and shops like that, and wouldn't want to walk away with something I can't tweak and hack to my heart's content. I might even keep my eye on the buy/sell forum here (I'm in the UK).

Any help for a (confused) possible first-time buyer is appreciated!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piece_Maker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I don't think you'd regret buying one, for the reasons you mentioned at least.
I first got one a few months after they came out in 2010, it broke after 2.5 years, I picked up an N9 which has done me fine up until last week when I purchased a brand new N900 as I need the 'power' it brings.

Some of the ones on eBay do have defects which could explain why they are so cheap, such as the SIM card issue which prevents the phone from recognising it, hence no 2g/3g; or an issue with the USB falling out.

Working, 2nd hand ones typically sell for £120 on eBay or at CeX, but if you can afford an extra couple of quid, go for a brand new one, there aren't that many around any more which is probably the reason for the price hike.

I purchased from this eBay listing last week £170 with P&P: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokia-N900...item2c6cbddbfa

Phone is as described: brand new and unboxed, and he has 3 remaining with just over a day left.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
It is said that the Chinese find old, broken devices, such as N900, repair-replace the broken part (USB port, outside cover, whatever), while the motherboard remains old and weary, and then sell the device as 'new'.
Make sure to see pictures of the device you are buying, beforehand. Take care.
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Wikiwide - that's exactly the sort of thing I'm scared of! However you say to ask to see pictures of the device. What sort of thing should I be looking for in the pictures? Or would it be as obvious as a screen crack/duff USB port? I don't think I've ever seen an n900 with my own eyes so I wouldn't know what a dodgy one looks like

Thanks for the informative posts so far, I'm always a bit hesitant buying new devices and the fact that the n900 is an older device has made that hesitation worse :P

The Following User Says Thank You to Piece_Maker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Piece_Maker View Post
Wikiwide - that's exactly the sort of thing I'm scared of! However you say to ask to see pictures of the device. What sort of thing should I be looking for in the pictures? Or would it be as obvious as a screen crack/duff USB port? I don't think I've ever seen an n900 with my own eyes so I wouldn't know what a dodgy one looks like

Thanks for the informative posts so far, I'm always a bit hesitant buying new devices and the fact that the n900 is an older device has made that hesitation worse :P
Quick reply...
I am not an expert, but here is a hopefully informative comparison from Youtube.
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
That video worries be slightly! But thanks again :P

The little IMEI sticker inside seems to be a pretty noticeable tell for when I'm going round the shops. I'm heading to town this Wednesday so will have a good rummage around If none are found it's probably an eBay job or maybe a post in the buy/sell forums here, though I'd prefer a new one if at all possible.

I'd definitely try to get a new one above refurbished/used, as jd4200 said above. I've bought 2 used n900's and haven't encountered issues, though, just trust the seller.

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
Yeah I always prefer brand new, it's just hard finding genuinely new ones! I'm keeping my eyes open though and will hopefully get a deal soon

Both of mine have been under £100 on eBay.

The first had a weird fault that caused battery drain and ultimately the backlight to fail. That was a ***** to diagnose.

The second is going strong.

USB port is the main point of failure. It's so bad I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit against Nokia. Maybe people just loved their N900s so much.

There are a few ways around it, none of which are great.

I'd look for an honest UK eBayer with a good reputation. When you get the device, test everything: USB, camera, SD, GPS (can take a while), battery drain (search this forum)...

In the UK, if anything is faulty and needs returning, you are allowed to claim postage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post:
Well I got a phone off eBay, £90 with shipping (Auction not buy-it-now) There were a few cheaper ones but the condition of some of them were questionable...

Hopefully be here in the next few days and I'll be officially part of the community!

Thanks for helping on this thread everyone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piece_Maker For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900