Notices

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Looks good. Buttons eh, but looks good. Congrats to you Nathan et al for running still with this.

I'd probably also jump in and say that doing a new(er) app in Qt would be better for the long range use of such an app. After that, making items platform specific becomes easier.

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Looks good. Buttons eh, but looks good. Congrats to you Nathan et al for running still with this.
I just ported it -- I didn't make any "design" changes. I needed to make sure all the underlying libraries worked. :-D

I'd probably also jump in and say that doing a new(er) app in Qt would be better for the long range use of such an app. After that, making items platform specific becomes easier.
Qt is actually my intention for the version I help work on.

Small update; the issue I said about not being able to compile in Armel has been resolved (Way to go Nokia!) so, once I get upload rights I plan on trying to get everything up so those who have been blessed with a phone can at least use something.

Nathan.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Hi there !

I sort of changed my mind about not going to buy a n900 (thanks to the developer discount ). So on the worst case (nothing happening related to a Sword based application for maemo 5), I will try to port the current Rapier application and push it to maemo5 repository.

Being lazy (it is supposed to be a vertue for a developer, is it not ?), i would be happy to see Nathan or anybody else pushing some more fresh and "opt"ized packages (clucene,swig,sword and the python bindings) to the repository before i try to do so.

I suggest that nothing is pushed to the devel repository before someone has a full working stack.

As Rapier currently fullfill my needs for a Bible reader, I will not add new features or rewrite something else down from scratch.

However, as soon as a Sword/C++/Qt based reader will be available, i will most probably use it (i' m lazy, but i do like proper applications after all) and try to fix some bugs i may hit.

To whoever start such a project, let us know the project garage's name, and please use the garage svn (or git) so everybody can play with the latest development branches.

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
Hi there !

I sort of changed my mind about not going to buy a n900 (thanks to the developer discount ). So on the worst case (nothing happening related to a Sword based application for maemo 5), I will try to port the current Rapier application and push it to maemo5 repository.
Congrats on making the Dev program! The more developers the merrier. ;-)

Being lazy (it is supposed to be a vertue for a developer, is it not ?), i would be happy to see Nathan or anybody else pushing some more fresh and "opt"ized packages (clucene,swig,sword and the python bindings) to the repository before i try to do so.
I have successfully compiled the entire stack (as you might see above picture -- it works great on the VM) -- however I can't seem to duplicate my success with re-compiling the sword <-> clucene link while trying to make sure the armel port works. I'm getting some weird error messages. And the errors seems to actually actually be legit, so I am currently at a loss at how I successfully managed to compiled it in the scratchbox in the first place. I really hate issues like that. Based on the error message and looking into it; I believe it should NOT have compiled in the first place -- but I got it to compile fully, so my question is how.

I'm stumped for the moment and might have to move back to clucene 0.9.21b rather than the clucene 0.9.23 I have installed. I've got a post into the Sword dev list on how -- and I haven't given up hope. ;-)

I suggest that nothing is pushed to the devel repository before someone has a full working stack.
As in your svn; or somewhere else? I have a fully working rapier (I have one bug that I think I have the solution for today that I haven't applied yet to rapier -- but I can submit it to svn for you (and anyone else to have) so that you don't have to figure out what to fix in it.

To whoever start such a project, let us know the project garage's name, and please use the garage svn (or git) so everybody can play with the latest development branches.
Any suggestions to a name. I'm willing to start the garage project and add Hogwash to it so that we both have full access to it. But we need to choose a name. ;-D

- Katana maybe?

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
For a name, since this would be made on a Maemo tablet device, and with Qt, why not something simple like Qt-Bible or Verses.

... Katana? Uhmm, sharp, I like that too

Ok, a small status update.

I have managed to rebuild the entire stack. It does appear that clucence .9.23 has incompatibilities. By reverting back to 0.9.21b I was able to recompile the entire stack of dependencies properly. (It appears my first version of rapier that the above screen shot came from was a version with OUT clucene, when I went back and checked the sword library it was not linked against it; so that is how I got it to compile the first time, and couldn't afterwords. LOL)

I have also fixed several bugs in the Rapier for Fremantle and everything appears to be now working properly on my sdk machine. (Search, Strongs, Modules, Switching) -- I'll have to let one you actually try it on a real device as I do not (nor do I have any idea if/when I may even get one as the retail price is outside of my current ability).

I'm going to start to push the entire stack to the repositories now that I can easily re-compile it fully. I need to check about optifing it and I hope to get this all up by sometime tomorrow or the next day to the extras-testing, for those with devices.

Nathan.

Hi there !

As in your svn; or somewhere else? I have a fully working rapier (I have one bug that I think I have the solution for today that I haven't applied yet to rapier -- but I can submit it to svn for you (and anyone else to have) so that you don't have to figure out what to fix in it.
I meant to push the needed library in the devel repository. According to your next post, you are planning to do that soon. Cool :-)

Please send me by mail the patch you made to have Rapier working on Fremantle. I'll install a sdk, try it out, create a branch for diablo (just in case) and keep the trunk (where the patch will be applyed) to get a Fremantle version so a simple reader will be available while a new one is being developed.

Any suggestions to a name. I'm willing to start the garage project and add Hogwash to it so that we both have full access to it. But we need to choose a name. ;-D

- Katana maybe?
I like katana as it reference both QT and Sword context.

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
Hi there !
I meant to push the needed library in the devel repository. According to your next post, you are planning to do that soon. Cool :-)
I'll push the entire stack (except for Rapier) to the repositories.

Please send me by mail the patch you made to have Rapier working on Fremantle. I'll install a sdk, try it out, create a branch for diablo (just in case) and keep the trunk (where the patch will be applyed) to get a Fremantle version so a simple reader will be available while a new one is being developed.
I do not believe anything that I changed would "not" run on diablo. Basically all the Hildon.Note's needed a newer call (that apparently worked in Diablo also) and apparently the older style of tuple calling is "broken" in fremantle (Bug has been filed and ack'd).

I also fixed a couple of "warnings" that were floating around in the app that wasn't affecting anything (besides the console output) -- I hate seeing warnings for no reason; so most those places now check for "None" before trying to work on the value.

Can you PM me with your email address and I'll email you the new rapier source file. And you can handle the pushing it to extras.

I like katana as it reference both QT and Sword context
Sweet it appears that we have at least two for it. Hogwash you?

Nathan.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ SC; USA
This may be looking too far ahead, but I am wondering if it would be worth it to partner with one of the older companies that make Bible software for other platforms. For instance, Laridian currently partners with BEIKS to offer their content to the BlackBerry platform. They also announced today that they are partnering with Bits of God Software to make their library available on the Palm Pre.

If a Qt-based Bible reader would have access to a library the size of what Laridian or Olive Tree have to offer, it would be really good. I am not sure how open source you could still keep it though if this path was chosen.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia

Sweet it appears that we have at least two for it. Hogwash you?

Nathan.
Wow. You're really rockin' along Nathan. Outstanding!

I'm a bit of a Nihon-o-phile, so "Katana" is cool with me.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword