Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I used crayon and they STILL don't listen.
I was being sarcastic Oh and they will listen just not the way we want

Did you read about this?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...lt-in-a-cease/

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

I love this device, but I understand that the average user that see it on the main nokia web site expects a rock solid and complete device.

At least mediaworld in Italy, in Benevento town is more correct and puts it on the "internet connectivity" and not on "smartphones"

As a linux geek (hoping), I'm very HAPPY to know that the big part of the closed components of maemo is going to be opened by meego!, so after a begin whining about that, now I'm fully satisfied with that device!)

I hope you'll be able to sell it and gain some money to buy another device near to your needs, but again, I may feel your pain.

Niko

The N900 is the most amazing phone i have ever used :-)

Still totaly happy with it.

Even on the software side, never had a phone with a better IM client (pidgin). Ok I only used S60 devices for the last well nearly 10 years now (staring with the 7650). On there is so much more really usefull software for the N900, than S60 3rd or 5th. Sure, that demands on how you look at things, where you came from.

But well, the N900 is the first mobile phone (at least from one major comapny with decent hardware) with a real desktop operating system. That changed everything.

Sure there are a lot of dispointed people here, I think they were just bad informed. Sure Nokia somehow suggested things which aren't there.

And well, I am not totaly blind, I know the N900 has some issues. But is there a phone without such? A phone which is equaly awesome?

The Following User Says Thank You to DanielW For This Useful Post:
me personally, am the exact opposite of the op,
i have never used linux before getting the n900, I got it direct from nokia, I received the phone in december. I never expected it to be soo good! I still dont know much about linux, i just know the easy commands. and thats it. this device is perfect for me. I now only use my laptop for Word processing and excell, etc. but most other things I do in this device. it was a great device even before the updates.
Nokia has given us a taste of what could be the future in many devices in the n900.

excuse me for my poor english.

kind regards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salawat For This Useful Post:
Is there a android smartphone user that can tell us is the n900 better in wich way and why???

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
I was being sarcastic Oh and they will listen just not the way we want
YOU were being sarcastic? No-no-no,my friend, *I* was the sarcastic one.

So the N900 has a small user base, this contradicts other posts that tell us that the N900 has shifted more units than expected, so if it had sold less than expected we would have expected Nokia to can support back in January.

And what techhead is going to buy an N900 now? knowing that Nokia has switched OS's surley they will just hang fire for the next new hyped up ground breaking unfinished Nokia.

One bit of good news is that Nokia are finally releasing the N900 on the Indian market, and there are some good inovative coders there who will join the maemo ranks.

The n900 is a milestone! n900 owners are lucky that nokia has not a new device around the corner and that the n900 is the official meego arm developer platform. I'm quite sure that nokia/community efforts will make that device perfect!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by enko View Post
Is there a android smartphone user that can tell us is the n900 better in wich way and why???
I own a Motorola DROID, myself. I don't really want to equate the two but, unfortunately, Nokia made it unavoidable to group a phone with what should have been an Internet Tablet. That being said, the N900 is an incredibly bad phone and probably an incredibly good portable computer. I don't like the added cost, bulk, battery drain and don't trust GSM for security so being stuck with the cellular radio was another reason for MY choice to avoid the N900. But if what you wanted to know is where it seems to be better compared to the Motorola Droid in particular... here's my opinion:

I don't own an N900, but from what I've seen, in general (blow-by-blow) it's mostly pretty evenly matched. On the hardware side, it clearly has a MUCH better camera and a much better keyboard than my Motorola Droid. Not that the N900 has a particularly good keyboard--but the Motorola Droid's is ghastly. You can also easily find and use bluetooth keyboards with the N900, which is still unexplainably difficult on any Android system. (I managed to find a bluetooth keyboard and have drivers--but even then it's still awkward.) The N900's CPU is slightly faster, but not by much. Beyond that, I can't think of anything better on the N900's hardware.

On the software side, the operating system is a Debian-based (ie: much more libre) operating system so there's much more flexibility and it feels more like a real computer, whereas the Droid feels like a phone with apps (which, really, is the point of the DROID phones... they're a phone first). To that end, the DROID has many more applications but the same java write-once-run-everywhere ecosystem is also imperfect and doesn't always look or run correctly because of android-specific quirks. By contrast, apps written for the Linux desktop are probably much more easily recompiled and adapted to run without crashing on the N900 (weird formatting and graphics in the translation to small screen aside). Certainly, command line apps and scripts will work with very, very little modification. On the Android side, command line is almost entirely forbidden (although there are many applications to make a command line almost unnecessary, like some excellent SSH apps for example). Tethering is incredibly easy on both (or so I hear, for N900.. I use OpenVPN to tether my Mini9 to my Droid over USB very easily--simultaneously providing Internet connectivity as well as charging my phone.)

On the support front, it seems to me that the phone app and general customer support for the N900 just seems incredibly.. lacking, frustrating or outright awful depending on who you talk to. The Motorola Droid has any number of walk-in Verizon, Walmart, etc. stores you can go to where you purchased it to have it replaced or repaired IMMEDIATELY without shipping involved. Even if it costs money, at least you'll have been taken care of immediately and can walk out with a working phone and never miss a call, a podcast or whatever else you use your device for. Having data everywhere is pretty much a given on both platforms with the DROID seeming to have a slight edge on data speed in the best case scenario for either device.

Anyway... that's all I can think of for now. I rather like my DROID.. but it's just my phone. Not a suitable replacement for my N800 and, despite the cellular phone in the N900, I'm not sure it's right to compare those two.

Hope that's what you wanted.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by vabgeo View Post
Its a love/hate relationship for me. Sometimes I hate it that I nearly want to bash it to the ground, sometimes I cant live without it.
Thats exactly how I feel. Sometimes I think this is the greatest devic ever but sometimes I thinks it a pile of pooo - especially when the sound starts to stutter, I miss calls because the phone app is slow to launch, media player quirks etc. Its a shame that Nokia just wont put their considerable muscle to a device with such great potential. There is also the lack of communication from Nokia, the Ovi store debacle. Yet overall I still love the device and I cannot think of a better alternative right now. Throw any audio or video format on this thing and it delivers, try coding in Java, Python, Cplus etc, no problem, connect to that windows media stream and plug to your tv, bam, its there. Then there is a diversity of apps from the community from KMplayer to gpodder, zoutube and mediabox. A crazy device made by crazy engineers for crazy people - remember the sick viral ad the n900 launched with? How apt!. I love and hate it in near equal measure but I love it more than any other.