Active Topics

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
That was quite promising looking. The performance on the demo left lots to improve, but otherwise I liked what little I looked at.

It's going to be interesting times ahead in mobile, with Jolla, Ubuntu and to lesser extent also BB10... perhaps even Firefox OS will give something interesting, though I have my doubts about that (seems Tizen-y).

The delicious problem becomes which platform to choose! It's been quite a while in mobile arena when there's been such a nice selection for open source enthusiast / walled-garden-hater to choose from.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
jolla sucks

The Following User Says Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So basically these are two different things: ubuntu for Android and ubuntu phone OS.

Ubuntu for Android is more like a live CD for locked devices. And if so would it be possible run as an application like the rest when we are talking ubuntu for Android(home button back to android)

Ubuntu phone os is only for unlocked(or manufacturer approved) devices.

Do you also look at it this way?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-02 at 23:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Well they said this can be run on any Android device. The OS can use the same kernel as Android. To my knowledge Jolla/Meego/Maemo/Moblix can't do that. This is far more useful than other linux oses because it takes advantage of what is already there. Drivers won't be an issue the way they are with other oses. It is still true linux so native linux applications can be run on it. Even if manufacturers won't adopt this it is possible for it to become popular with the modding and flashing crowd.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

This is what they are presenting for partners/oems... Intresting 32 gb next year?

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tiloubrunet View Post
why not n900
Lack of multi-touch.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Lack of multi-touch.
not to mention the somewhat massive hardware requirements.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Heh, when has hardware requirements ever stopped the N900?

If we hobbled along using Unity on the N900, we'll hobble along well into the next decade, with more swapping!

All that remains to be seen, is whether the Ubuntu Phone stack is open or not.

i feel better am getting a nexus 4lool

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Well they said this can be run on any Android device. The OS can use the same kernel as Android. To my knowledge Jolla/Meego/Maemo/Moblix can't do that. This is far more useful than other linux oses because it takes advantage of what is already there. Drivers won't be an issue the way they are with other oses. It is still true linux so native linux applications can be run on it. Even if manufacturers won't adopt this it is possible for it to become popular with the modding and flashing crowd.
I think it's little bit different...
AFAIK since Linux 3.3, merging of Android code to the main line was re-established. That means, Android's kernel should be the same as the standard one.
So, it's not Canonical's work - they are just using the latest kernel and enjoying the advantages. Naturally Jolla and others can do the same thing.
For example: right now I'm running Linux 3.6 on my laptop, so 3.3 isn't that bleeding edge...

Sources:
http://www.osnews.com/story/25457/An...nux_3_3_Kernel
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...g-system/10625

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-01-03 at 01:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013