Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
No scratches. No protector. No case. Normal everyday use from mid October.
Is your n9 made in Finland or China?

Last edited by Guyver; 2012-01-13 at 06:55.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ New Zealand
When I went to buy my N9 my wife rolled her eyes and gave me a week before I damaged it. I am not gentle with anything I own, except my guitars, different story. My last phone has been dropped many times once out a window onto some steps, one small screen scratch , damaged all corners. So I made a conscious effort to be gentle, more to prove the wife wrong than anything. Week and a half later I notice four scratches on the far left side of the screen, only noticeable on a certain angle. I think stuff it back to not babying. I have not scratched it since, what the hell, and believe me I am not being gentle.

Honestly I have come to the conclusion that the scratches where there when I brought the phone. Take that with a grain of salt but that is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with, so I keep telling myself. The wife doesn’t know yet shhh, I don’t want to give the free laugh at my expense, I’ll save that for something really stupid I do.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Helsinki
My phone is barely over a week old and I've just found a deep, very noticeable scratch running through the centre of the screen all the way to the bottom. You can clearly feel it with your nail, even with a finger. I haven't dropped the phone or kept it next to my keys. It has only been in my jacket pocket, which has no sharp objects or edges. I really don't understand how that scratch got there.

I feel pretty sad about it actually, because it is still so new.

I'm thinking of taking it to the Nokia store and see what they have to say about it. They obviously won't believe that nothing has happened to it – I just wouldn't know what because I've been very careful (as usually).

Has anybody gotten a fix under warranty or ordered a replacement screen from Nokia itself?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
After just over a month, no scratches here. I have one of these dangling from the 3.5mm jack (the alu one) and still OK.
I put the phone in my shirt breast pocket, rather than in my trouser pocket.
Otherwise I am not too careful, dropped it twice already. It is very slippery without a case, specially with dry hands now that it is winter.

Last edited by eerde; 2012-01-14 at 22:27. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
I got a scratch on my screen last week from putting it back in my pocket while sitting down - the metal stud of the coin pocket of my jeans must have done it. Next time an air hostess asks me to put my N9 away for takeoff or landing I'm putting it in a bag

The scratch is deep enough to feel with a fingernail, too, so I'm not sure it'd buff out.
I switched my cell phone pocket from right to left after years due to fear of that metal nub doing just this. sorry to hear that happened to you.

The sudden jolt of panic when I start sliding it into that old right pocket keeps me from forgetting too often. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Originally Posted by ziller View Post
I've managed to scratch mine too, though the scratches are odd.

They're tiny little holes that have started to appear all over the screen...I can only assume it happened while in my jeans pocket.

All the little spots you see in the images below are actually holes. The one above the camera is by far the largest... the others are otherwise usually not visible to the naked eye, unless viewed at an extreme angle (getting a picture of them was not easy).
Now, these things are new to me...
Maybe some kind of chemical fluids that unaccidentally sprayed to the screen?

I've scratched mine also, it's tiny and smooth scratches, i do'nt get it why it was there, i use it in normal terms.
Or maybe my 2 years old soon did the scratcehs test?

after reading so many complaint about the scrathes on n9 screen, i can conclude that gorilla glass is a joke! so everyone please go and buy screen protector for n9/L800.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
...i can conclude that gorilla glass is a joke!...
Is it? No.
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhC7TLaflWk
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQnPmr61POw
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOHZD2bNQyA

Then how do I get these scratches on my phone?

It's an interesting paradox. If glass is not easily scratched by materials commonly found in your pocket, how do phones often end up with scratched screens?

The thing to note is between the words "Resistant" & "Proof". Gorilla glass is indeed harder than normal glass, so it's harder to scratch & break... but not invincible. After all glass is glass - they will scratch & break! Nobody said, "it's scratch proof" - but it sure is "resistant to it".

There are three things which go against:
1. Long-term use;
2. Regular rubbing;
3. Presence of harsher materials in our pockets.

All those videos depict a one-time effort. Those, one-off, attacks might not place a scar over some lower quality glass as well - leave alone Gorilla. While a few more persistent efforts too wouldn't do much to this hardened, tempered, ion-compressed & fortified material [google the making of this wonderful thing]. But the above three - is a different proposition altogether.

The fact remains that our phone's scratches are caused by sand, grit & dirt, in our pockets and the surfaces where inadvertently we place them. And this is multiplied by the regular rubbing of these unseen-evils over a period of time. Yes, in common parlance they aren't as 'harsh' as the items used in those vids [viz. coins, keys, swiss-knives etc.], but when regularly subjected - they tend to be albeit 'harsher'!

Of course, if we r so careless to keep our phones in the vicinity / regular presence of those tools/items - it'd scratch faster -- but we aren't that naive 2day, r we? We do take extra care to see where/how we 'put' that phone... even ensuring avoidance of those omni-present Levi's rivets. However, as much as we care - our devices yet get those unsightly / unworthy / heartaches. 'Coz there's 'true grit' in the grit!

But then, do we use those $1 screen-protectors?

Debatable. Much depends on personal choice. I don't. And have never had a scratch on my screens to fear/boast of. What with Corning spending millions on R&D and producing a state-of-the-art product -- then we go putting a rubberized-plastic bloat over it? But then, who am I to contradict user preferences either? However, I'd opine that a bit of care [preferably using the N9's OEM case* & keeping the phone in our right pocket, which usually has nothing else but the hanky] and placing the phone on softer surfaces, when drawn out, could well keep it ship-shape in the long run. That's what I do. We don't carry diamonds in our pockets, do we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bc5JjPU4Xh0
And this dude dropped it a whole floor! Agreed it was carpeted - but the drop was solid - a common glass'd shatter [I did, watching his escapade] - but our Gorilla didn't crack... LOL, I was about to dial Amnesty International!

Qorax
*Which certainly is the best OEM (freely included) case any phone ever had inside its box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
Zero scratches on mine... Super happy so far with the screen quality.

Just got my n9 1 week.
the case i ordered (before i even got it) has not arrived yet...

this morning i'd been reading a pdf on the train on the way to work, so i know there was nothing wrong with it then
between then and now it's been in my otherwise empty pocket or lying on my desk face-up
literally nothing happened to it that could cause any scratches in any way
yet a few minutes ago i feel this nasty bump when i ran my nail over the screen...
indeed, there's a small scratch there, about half a cm
what makes it worse is that it is all too visible when the screen is white, then the scratch is brightly colored pink/light blue, changing as you move the phone

how the hell did this happen?
how does a perfectly straight little scratch appear seemingly out of thin air?

Last edited by SaiKo; 2012-01-31 at 15:19.