I am considering buying the N9 again. So, before i venture into buying it i simply wanted to know what to expect.

I am not much of an app guy. I am content with the most basic of apps. example: wazapp, gtalk etc. Other than Meego, i have used iOS, Windows, Droid & Symbian. Somehow, all give me a feeling of everything being scattered or somehow me being leashed. N9's feel & the OS's asthetics seem like a different thing altogether. Everything in it seems tightly integerated & it simply flows. Its enchanting.

Questions:
1. Will 'Wazapp' always work on N9? (Coderus, please answer)
2. Will the community release any updates no matter how small? (I know theres no support, but i'm talking about the community)
3. Will N9 prove to be on par with the rest till mid 2015?

P.S: The last question is targeted to all you experts here @maemo.org because frankly i believe, that most companies have got into this Core Race of stuffing Cores & things into a phone without optimizing or concentrating on exploiting its true potential. I believe that a single core is enough to handle a lot & the N9 is a living proof. Please answer honestly & know that i really appreciate it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajrpai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
1.) I don't think Coderus is working on wazapp nightlies anymore. He has his own whatsapp app now, Persecute. You should check it out.

2.) Not to sure on the community updates for the N9. Personally, I doubt it. If you want community updates, you want the N900.

3.) I personally feel that the N9 is showing its age. More so when it comes to API changes etc then hardware. So I guess this is a matter of opinion and one that will be greatly divided.

The Following User Says Thank You to whayong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Correct me if I am wrong, but we dont have community updates because harmattan is closed source at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I'd say, buy a cheap one and test for yourself. I still enjoy it much more than my friends SGS4 and other flagships. The better part, all my friends, hardcore Android fans think that Harmattan is the best UI they've seen and if it would be faster/bigger/newer they would've bought it. Right now they are all waiting till I get my Jolla, because they are considering it as an upgrade to: SGS4, Iphone 5, Nexus 4 and couple others.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
If you can find a cheap one...yeah sure, go for it.

It is a beautiful piece of hardware (you know that), but it has started to show its age (internet is pretty slow and choppy nowadays).
Also the battery is mediocre (at best)

Wifi reception is pretty weak and small amount of applications.

The pros now:

It's so damn beautiful
Fantastic mp3 player interface (the BEST I've seen ever) with PERFECT audio quality through headphones (I love music so its performance matters to me a lot)
Great ,free, GPS
Pretty nice camera with "ok" video and terrific macro shots.
Awesome reception and audio quality for calls.
Swipe UI is ,still to this day, the single best UI out there.
It is a rare and collectible smartphone
Small and pocketable. Great feeling in hand too. Solid,very solid.
Clear Black Display. Awesome sunlight legibility.
It can run Nemo, Sailfish and Android (if you are interested. for the sake of it)
It has a great community (TMO) with little-to-none elitistic behaviors

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Even though I just switched from my BB Z10 back to my N9, I'd suggest that you don't buy it. Lack of support, at times can get bogged down if you're using it heavily enough and updates for things that might be integrated and/or necessary part of the experience (read: Twitter and Skype - although Twitter did get an update recently) might not get updated.

Don't get me wrong, love my N9. But as far as it goes - not having the ability to clearly use wi-fi and bluetooth without skips and hiccups (not a problem if you don't use a bluetooth earpiece or bluetooth streaming to your stereo while connected to wi-fi and you're not using the Nokia Play speakers) but... I digress.

If you have limited usages, don't mind the spotty e-mail client (as opposed to others) and can place your hope behind Persecute, it's a great phone. And for me, that was enough to switch back.

If I'll stay there for another year though, doubtful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I would only grab it if you're not paying very much at all for it. The single core processor isn't going to doom the phone, but its browser will. As time goes on I'm finding a lot of sites I use regularly are now incompatible-can't access the mobile yelp site and now bank of america seems to have phased out access to its site completely to phones that aren't iphones or android (which is funny because they have their own apps already)

I also don't think gtalk will work at all on this (if not now, definitely in the future). It would be nice if sailfish's software could give the phone a new lifeline but I would advise not buying something for *possible* future potential.