Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
This official blog post from Jolla cites a Sailfish OS developer program in 2015 to support native softwares :
From 2014 to 2015 – looking back and forward
Antti Saarnio
Co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Jolla

Jolla’s focus areas in 2015
This year Jolla will continue to improve the Sailfish OS multitasking user experience, establish a Sailfish OS developer program to support native app development, bring new devices to the market with world-class hardware, and establish major partnerships within the industry.
The Sailfish OS is still young, and needs more stability, better connectivity, and simplification to the user experience. The small Sailfish OS native app ecosystem needs its own program, which guides and supports app developers. The amount of applications is not important, rather the most important applications for people need to be native, and of high quality. Friends, Tweetian, Sailgrande, just to mention a few, are excellent proof points of the potential of native Sailfish OS applications. The stability and usability of Android applications in Sailfish OS is already on a good level, and we continue to improve this.
Let's see what this means for Sailfish developers in 2015.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-17 at 13:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I sure hope it will improve. The SDK is functional, but lacks the simulator we had for Harmattan. But there should be much more documentation, examples and guides. Currently only Silica is documented. The rest is limited to some pointers to Nemo and Mer (which aren't comprehensive as well, documentation wise), and to the Qt-documentation.

I'm writing an app for Jolla, but much of the time is spent on searching for documentation. And when (if!) I find it, it's more than once generic Linux stuff which may or may not be applicable or available on Jolla. I'm a developer by profession (totally different platform though), I have some Linux experience since I use it on my pc's at home, but still it's often frustrating trying to get something to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
SailfishOS SDK have nice emulator. And documentation is good. Nemomobile components are not officially allowed to harbour, so no documentation in SailfishOS SDK, but it's widely available in internet with no problems. Qt documentation is also fully covered. I have never problems in finding docs for stuff, only had problems with searching good examples of 3rd party api usage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
The emulator is fast and fine, but limited. The simulator can simulate multitouch gestures, geolocation, battery levels, incoming calls, etc. And it is even faster.

The current documentation might be sufficient if you've already have Linux development experience, but without it, it really is a treasure hunt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
SailfishOS SDK have nice emulator. And documentation is good. Nemomobile components are not officially allowed to harbour, so no documentation in SailfishOS SDK, but it's widely available in internet with no problems. Qt documentation is also fully covered. I have never problems in finding docs for stuff, only had problems with searching good examples of 3rd party api usage.
I agree with your last part and also when I was doing UI part of qml and dealing with positioning or gps I found better qt/qml examples on blackberry website. It's well documented I have no issue with that but I would love more code examples.

Tags
developer, program, sailfish