I saw this asked in another post but not answered.... If I 'play' with the 770 softwarewise and stuff it, can I just 'reflash' back to a working unit? Can you 'play' so much that a reflash will not work?

I know it is a silly question but as a 'soon to own' 770'er I want to be able to play to my hearts content installing this that and whatever and know that if i render the unit inopperable i can flash it back to original at any time...

Does this make any sense?

Dan

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
No, nothing you can do software wise will result in a totally broken 770. At worst you'll just have to reflash it.

thanks andrew.... now i wait to begin playing! 7 days and counting...

thanks again....

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Well you could damage it if you try really hard but 'normal' experiments are safe. You may damage some hardware by messing with kernel drivers (i.e. changing the code, messing with hardware registers). Also you may need custom serial cable for cold flashing if you try really hard to change the flash memory that contains kernel bootloader or config partition, but these are really advanced things most people do not touch. Otherwise it is pretty failproof, flashing bad kernel or initrd or rootfs or corrupting those parts is safe if you're not afraid of loosing data and reflashing.

Originally Posted by fanoush
Well you could damage it if you try really hard but 'normal' experiments are safe. You may damage some hardware by messing with kernel drivers (i.e. changing the code, messing with hardware registers). Also you may need custom serial cable for cold flashing if you try really hard to change the flash memory that contains kernel bootloader or config partition, but these are really advanced things most people do not touch. Otherwise it is pretty failproof, flashing bad kernel or initrd or rootfs or corrupting those parts is safe if you're not afraid of loosing data and reflashing.
Thanks. one of the things stopping me from gainroot. I have fear of messing up of up the code that writes the firmware image to the device.