Hello, I have been doing some research into the N810, and have already found some answers to my questions below, but not quite as much as I wish to know, so I am hoping for some help. I plan to order from Amazon in the next few days (they seem to have the lowest price at the moment).

1a-I know the Garnet Palm emulator syncs wirelessly, does it sync also with USB cable?

1b-Any news about card support or greater than 64mb memory support on the Palm emulator?
Programs I need for that include iSilo, eReader, Audible, and OliveTree BibleReader

2- What are the advantages of installing Android? Is it more likely to support programs like Open Office, or some other useful software? Is it really compatible with the N810 hardware and maemo software?

3-Is there any wine type windows emulator/interpreter in the works for either maemo or Android that might work on N810? Running a single program at a time would be cool.

4-I am hoping to find a standard Music Notation Software that can access the midi hardware of the N810, something simple is fine, not really interested in audio editing or controllers, only in composition. If available only for Android, that would be a good motivation to try Android on the N810. Sorry, I don’t like MuTex, only standard music notation.

5-Is there some type of program like Google Desktop, that can search all the device for information stored there?

6-How well does the DOS emulator work? I am mostly interested in it for running office type programs, not for games.

7-Any recommendations for good office type programs, free or commercial? I am thinking about freeform database/memo/note at the moment. Fast searches is the most important requirement, followed by compatibility or easy conversion with Windows programs.

8-In general, how is the data exchange with windows programs? I am thinking word processing, spreadsheet, databases, etc.

9-The biggest source of problems for any computer is the internet (viruses, malware, spywayre). How well does the N810 fare with that, and is there good protection available?

10-It appears that the preferred way of installing maemo programs is online, from what I have read. Will it be a problem if I just keep a copy to install from the desktop or card?

11-I have not found yet a good discussion on backups, and what especifically can be backed up and restored, and what is best left alone. Could someone point me to a good discussion on this? I am most comfortable with local backups.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by civil; 2009-06-15 at 03:23.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I may be the last person that should answer this...but in your question you bring up the abilities to run three OS other than Linux (Palm, DOS and Android).

From what I've read here it seems like running anything non-Linux will have you compromise in speed and/or stability - not to mention the added memory consumption.

I think you may well be able to run all three (four if you 'keep' Linux) but you may first question how WELL it will run and base your decision on that.

Then again, someone may well tell me I'm completely wrong and that you can do it all in lightning speed
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I think you may well be able to run all three (four if you 'keep' Linux) but you may first question how WELL it will run and base your decision on that.
Thanks for your comment. Running Palm programs is quite critical for me in my purchase decision (the rest are much less important).

Fortunately I have seen the Youtube videos that seem to show the Palm emulator running at an acceptable speed. Not quite as fast as Palm hardware, but currently I am very annoyed at the way the Palm company has left us Palm user hanging, and how hard it is to repair a Palm TX satisfactorily. And for much less than the price of a new TX, I can get a N810.

you can get a nokia n810 from buy.com for $199. that's the best place to get a brand new one

Originally Posted by gokuman56 View Post
you can get a nokia n810 from buy.com for $199. that's the best place to get a brand new one
Thanks. Well, currently I have one on my Amazon cart for $199 and free shipping. Does buy.com offer free shipping?

Also, I can hold my Amazon cart indefinitely, a cool feature that allows me to change my mind about whatever I wish to buy. The N810 has been on my cart for about 2 months, now it is 40 dollars less than before, hehehe.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I may be the last person that should answer this...but in your question you bring up the abilities to run three OS other than Linux (Palm, DOS and Android).

From what I've read here it seems like running anything non-Linux will have you compromise in speed and/or stability - not to mention the added memory consumption.

Then again, someone may well tell me I'm completely wrong and that you can do it all in lightning speed

Palm : I hear good things about the Palm emulation
DOS: Dosbox is very very very slow (at least for games)
Android: No sound, which IMHO makes it not worth running.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by civil View Post
Thanks. Well, currently I have one on my Amazon cart for $199 and free shipping. Does buy.com offer free shipping?

Also, I can hold my Amazon cart indefinitely, a cool feature that allows me to change my mind about whatever I wish to buy. The N810 has been on my cart for about 2 months, now it is 40 dollars less than before, hehehe.
buy.com shipping is free (if it's thru buy.com directly, not another vendor)